GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Performance Tuner / Programmer(?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-08, 04:28 PM
cazz1911
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Tuner / Programmer(?)

Club Lexus:

Looking for a performance upgrade via a tuner / programmer. Does one exist? If so, pro vs. con, how it affect mpg, other mods to complement the program, etc. Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 09-27-08, 08:39 AM
cazz1911
Driver School Candidate

Anyone(?) ...
Old 09-29-08, 03:39 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not heard of anyone doing it. But if you did I would also consider CAI and Exhaust to maximize throughput.
Old 09-29-08, 06:25 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I don't think it does exist. If there is one, i bet it'll be for the 4runner though and i'm not sure if it'll be compatible
Old 09-29-08, 06:42 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

How about Unichip, http://www.unichip.us/search_results...odel=453055441

In a chip, there's also Jet Performance,, http://www.jetchip.com/Shop/shopdisp...ppp=10&catID=1
Old 09-29-08, 07:41 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

$800 for a chip? I'd rather save up and purchase a supercharger. $800/16hp=$50/hp that is rather expensive and i bet you won't notice the gain. better off spending $400 on a cai from k&n and you'll get the same results.
Old 09-30-08, 07:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LexGX
$800 for a chip? I'd rather save up and purchase a supercharger. $800/16hp=$50/hp that is rather expensive and i bet you won't notice the gain. better off spending $400 on a cai from k&n and you'll get the same results.
Unichip is not exactly a chip per se, but it functions nevertheless the same. The Jet one is however.

I have seen some worse disparities. There is a supercharger for the RX300 from TTE that at a minimum in Europe (not here) you can possibly get for about $8,000 USD (I have seen it for 4 figures in the U.S.) that supposedly gets close to 50 hp, but I read on a Russian RX forum that the guys didn't even feel it was getting that (maybe under super optimum conditions). Nevertheless, that's way too much money. The TRD supercharger doesn't bolt up right on the RX and even then not worth the $/hp in my opinion.

I know someone who did get the Jet chip for a Solara and wound up enjoying it, but they had already tricked out the vehicle with a lot of other performance modifications, the chip only enhanced what was already there.

I'd also agree with going to do other performance modifications first, I have done no differently with my RX300. I also worked with my cousin on his VR6 Golf in a similar manner and only got him a chip for his birthday only after we had rigged up the intake, exhaust, thermostat, fluid, pulleys, engine electrical, battery, etc. He learned what each modification did for the vehicle, both on and off the 1/4 mile track.

BTW, my girlfriend fancies the GX470 and I don't rule one out in the future, though I 99.9% doubt it will have anything like the modifications I now have on my RX300...okay maybe a few.
Old 10-13-08, 09:11 AM
DJJJAMES
Driver School Candidate

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A3039786.aspx

I INTEND TO USE THIS PCM AFTER GETTING A K&N CAI & REDOING MY EXHAUST SYSTEM

I'M ALSO CONDISERING NEW HEADERS BECAUSE I'M GOING WITH THE TRD SUPERCHARGER (4 RUNNER UPGRADE).

I THINK IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO ONE, YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO THE WHOLE SYSTEM & DO IT RIGHT!!

THIS PCM MIGHT COST $700, BUT IF YOUR GOING TO SPEND A LOT ON YOUR SYSTEM TO BEGIN WITH, I DON'T SEE THE SENSE ON LEAVING ANY ROCK UNTURNED!!
Old 10-13-08, 09:15 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DJJJAMES
http://www.autoanything.com/performa...0A3039786.aspx

I INTEND TO USE THIS PCM AFTER GETTING A K&N CAI & REDOING MY EXHAUST SYSTEM

I'M ALSO CONDISERING NEW HEADERS BECAUSE I'M GOING WITH THE TRD SUPERCHARGER (4 RUNNER UPGRADE).

I THINK IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO ONE, YOU MIGHT AS WELL DO THE WHOLE SYSTEM & DO IT RIGHT!!

THIS PCM MIGHT COST $700, BUT IF YOUR GOING TO SPEND A LOT ON YOUR SYSTEM TO BEGIN WITH, I DON'T SEE THE SENSE ON LEAVING ANY ROCK UNTURNED!!

I agree.

BTW the caps lock is right next to the "A" key.

Old 10-13-08, 09:53 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Jet offers custom programming as I am getting one for my other car, but they have been hesitant in the past for Lexus vehicles. Perhaps they have time these days to mess with current Lexus models.
Old 10-13-08, 08:12 PM
DJJJAMES
Driver School Candidate

Sorry about the caps.. I'm a caps freak..lol... I've learned alot from Pearlpower as well as cmarshack (especially Double P). He kind of walked me through this whole process of upgrading. I'm going to do the K&N cai & then tackle the exhaust.. but i really don't know what i'm going to do with my exhaust... i'm thinkin of getting a cat. converter with a y output, putting 2 slim hi-power mufflers in the space of the stock muffler & with the dual exhaust , send one through the original path for the exhaust & sending the drivers side exhausr pipe over the rear axle on the drivers side... (i see a path!!)

once i get the trd supercharger.. then i will double back & change the headers to really givee me the suction i'm going to benefit more from at that point..

in between the trd/ headers job & the k&n cai/ exhaust job.. i would to the PCM tuner... & hopefully my gx470 doesnt explode when i'm done..!!
Old 10-13-08, 09:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A while back before I tossed a blower on my Tundra which has essentially the same motor, I had exhaust, y-pipe, CAI, headers and it was one quick truck. Headers would make a huge improvement on this truck and I am sure a set of current headers could be made to fit. I just wish I had the time. The Tundra headers are a bit too large to fit in the GX engine bay but the GS400/SC430 headers from SS just may fit. Keep in mind the oil pickup is on the other side but that is no big deal. Headers do make a significant improvement.
Also, a good y-pipe will help things out.
Old 10-14-08, 09:23 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DJJJAMES
Sorry about the caps.. I'm a caps freak..lol... I've learned alot from Pearlpower as well as cmarshack (especially Double P). He kind of walked me through this whole process of upgrading. I'm going to do the K&N cai & then tackle the exhaust.. but i really don't know what i'm going to do with my exhaust... i'm thinkin of getting a cat. converter with a y output, putting 2 slim hi-power mufflers in the space of the stock muffler & with the dual exhaust , send one through the original path for the exhaust & sending the drivers side exhausr pipe over the rear axle on the drivers side... (i see a path!!)

once i get the trd supercharger.. then i will double back & change the headers to really givee me the suction i'm going to benefit more from at that point..

in between the trd/ headers job & the k&n cai/ exhaust job.. i would to the PCM tuner... & hopefully my gx470 doesnt explode when i'm done..!!

jk. I was just f'ing with you about the caps.

I am gald to see the list of mods you have going, I can't wait to hear about the finished product. I have been wanting to do a supercharger for a while now but I am not sure how long we are going to keep this GX...so it may not happen. Also if you get the true dual exhaust installed, take lots of pics. I would love to see how you pull it off. Make sure you keep in mind the full travel of the rear axel...just because you see room right now does not necessarily mean that it will be there when the suspension is fully articulating in that direction, or even when you lower the suspension.

Keep it up!
Old 10-14-08, 04:05 PM
DJJJAMES
Driver School Candidate

i thought about ... the thing is the stock pipe can fit through the path i saw... right over teh rear axle on the right side.. & the size of the space is similar to the size the stock exhaust passes through..

but the theory is that since i'm going with the dual exhausts , i should be able to use 2 exhaust pipes of smaller diameter. Using a sharp angled pipe to go over that portion of the axle should prevent any problems..

i will be taking pictures for sure of all my mods..