GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 ride advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 03:27 PM
KeyserSoze
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX470 ride advice

I folks - new to the forum with a quick question that I hope this group can help with.

I had a 98 GS400 with 135K on it and sold it recently. If I could get the same car back with 30K miles on it I'd buy it in a second. Love the brand, love the service and attention to detail.

Anyway - I'm considering a GX470 - read all the reviews, everyone that has one loves them. So here's my question.

I'm looking for a used low mile 30K miles example - I drove a 60K mile example (Certified at a Lexus dealer) and it seemed to ride "floaty" had a lot of bounce in it. I wasn't expecting it to ride like new, but it seemed more unsettled than I expected.

Was this typical and I'm just not used to it since I'm coming out of the GS (obviously one will not drive like the other), or does this not sound typical of the ride you experience in yours?

I mean I realize this is a large truck with considerable weight and height, and I certainly don't expect it to drive like a car, especially not compared to the GS.

I'm planning on driving several more to determine if this was "normal" - until I find one I want to test drive - I thought I'd ask.

Thanks
Old 09-29-08, 06:17 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't find the ride to be bouncy at all. Was it in the "comfort" mode? Presumably it was.. Try sport mode if you want a stiffer ride?

Turby
Old 09-29-08, 06:23 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

I do find the gx sensitive on certain parts of the road but bouncy no. You will learn to adjust to the ride, after that its not so bad. But it seems that i'm the only one that is noticing this. Anybody else that rides in my car does not seem think it doesn't ride like a lexus. To each his own i guess.
Old 09-30-08, 05:31 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a GX for 3 years and now a GS. Its a diff car and a diff suspension. The GX's suspension is tune soft and have lots of travel in it, the GS is opposite. IMO, the GX's ride is floaty compare to the GS. You can get the KDSS option on the GX if you want better handling.
Old 09-30-08, 09:34 AM
KeyserSoze
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses -

G-Man, what is KDSS? Can it be added to a used vehicle like I'm looking for or is it a factory option only?

Thanks again
Old 09-30-08, 01:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

KDSS, Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System is a active suspension system that stiffen up the sway bar when needed. It also have a thicker sway from the factory. On the older models, it usually comes with the sport package. One the newer model, it can be a stand alone option. KDSS are very hard to find in used GX.
Old 10-01-08, 07:53 AM
ERC4
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I made the GS to GX Switch Successfully

I have an 06 GX w/ KDSS and my previous vehicle was an 01 GS430. My switch was brought on by family issues (more baseball and soccer games with the kids) not by a change in disposition on my part. 2 thoughts-

1. I'd definitely recommend you try to find a GX w/ KDSS. The different suspension versus a base GX is noticeable when taking a turn or on cloverleaf on-ramps. The problem is that KDSS won't be easy to find since GX's with the Sport Package (which includes KDSS) made up only 5% or so of GXs made. The easiest visual identifier on 06 and earlier GXs is the black wood trim. But that may not be exclusive to the Sport Package anymore.

2. I have found that the GX is very sensitive to tire pressure. After my 30k service my GX's handling was very floaty and not secure at all. I discovered that the dealer had put the tires at 37 psi. When I returned them to the 34 psi that I run the secure, good handling returned.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-01-08, 08:16 AM
raffiGX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
KDSS, Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System is a active suspension system that stiffen up the sway bar when needed. It also have a thicker sway from the factory. On the older models, it usually comes with the sport package. One the newer model, it can be a stand alone option. KDSS are very hard to find in used GX.
I have a 2004 GX470; How do I know If I have the KDSS. It's fully loaded. Is there a sign I should look for.
Old 10-01-08, 09:09 AM
KeyserSoze
Driver School Candidate

Thanks ERC4 - that does help - I've seen some with the black trim, not many though - didn't realize that the suspension was a bit different on those. Good advice on the tire pressure too, thanks
Old 10-01-08, 10:43 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raffiGX
I have a 2004 GX470; How do I know If I have the KDSS. It's fully loaded. Is there a sign I should look for.
On the 2004, KDSS only come with the sport package, if you have black wood trim, you have KDSS.
Old 10-01-08, 11:41 AM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raffiGX
For one, there is a "KDSS" warning light that flashes along with all the other items when the truck is started. KDSS equipped trucks have very large diameter stabilizer bars. There was no Sport Package or black wood trim offered in 2004. Less than 10% of 2004 trucks were built with this option.
Old 10-01-08, 01:46 PM
KeyserSoze
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to thank those that responded to this question - I drove another certified used example today - 40K miles - and it rode much better, I didn't experience any of the poor ride characteristics I experienced on the other vehicle. Which leads me to believe there was something amiss on the first vehicle I drove.
Old 10-03-08, 01:45 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, take into consideration that you're driving a 4wD SUV and not a sports sedan.
Old 10-03-08, 02:19 PM
kutsyy
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
KDSS is not active suspension. It does not stiffen when is needed. Sway bar [4 times stiffer than regular] is fixed unless it is released for off roads.