GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

DVD player and IPOD connector questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 10:39 PM
BenefitPT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD player and IPOD connector questions

I just bough an 04 GX 470 with navi and screens in the headreasts running from a DVD player in the center console. Can my navi screen also play DVD's up front? Also curious about an IPOD connector that my truck apparently doesn't have. Do newer GX's have a connector? Can I put one in?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-08, 07:48 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2007 & newer models have an auxillary input for iPod, but I believe it is just an analog headphone-style jack, so no iPod info is shown on the vehicle displays and there is no ability to control the iPod with vehicle controls. For older models or the ability to control the iPod with vehicle controls, you will need an add-on connector such as VAISTech - there are some threads in this forum about that topic.

For the NAV screen to display DVD's, take a look at this thread, which deals with vehicles without RSES:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...GX+470+DVD+Nav

If you have RSES, there are a couple threads dealing with installation of an override that allows you to view the rear DVD picture on the NAV screen.
Old 10-16-08, 01:44 PM
BenefitPT
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, thanks for the reply and links!
Old 10-16-08, 02:44 PM
BenefitPT
Driver School Candidate

Before I drop my questions about my dvd player, I'd love to get some more info on it.. I'm the second owner of my GX and the first put in the headrest screens with a DVD player. There is some acronym you guys all use for this package, right? And also while checking out that link, i didn't see any info about if the navi screen has video feed to it from the dvd player in the back. Can I play dvd even while in park, or is the video feed only for the headrest screens?
Old 10-20-08, 07:06 AM
Linko
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The acronyn RSES stands for Rear Seat Entertainment System in the original manufacturer jargon. Since your headrest DVD screens & player were an after-market add-on by the previous owner, many of the discussions in this forum will not apply. For example, I believe the manufacturer's RSES plays through the navigation screen when the vehicle is in Park but cuts off once a gear is engaged. That connection would not exist in your after-market DVD setup unless the previous owner did some extra wiring. It is likely possible to make this connection, since it would seem that the navi unit would have a DVD input for the standard RSES setup. A "DVD override" exists that allows the navi screen to continue to show the RSES content while in motion, which is likely illegal but hardly rare.
Old 10-20-08, 09:55 AM
BenefitPT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Linko
The acronyn RSES stands for Rear Seat Entertainment System in the original manufacturer jargon. Since your headrest DVD screens & player were an after-market add-on by the previous owner, many of the discussions in this forum will not apply. For example, I believe the manufacturer's RSES plays through the navigation screen when the vehicle is in Park but cuts off once a gear is engaged. That connection would not exist in your after-market DVD setup unless the previous owner did some extra wiring. It is likely possible to make this connection, since it would seem that the navi unit would have a DVD input for the standard RSES setup. A "DVD override" exists that allows the navi screen to continue to show the RSES content while in motion, which is likely illegal but hardly rare.
This is the reply I was looking for. Thank you. I will look into getting the Navi screen hooked up to my DVD player. I usually have a front passenger with me, so I will also look further into getting the override.. The guys I have talked to thus far are not interested in doing it at all bc of the legal bs. I'll keep trying though, thanks!