GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

TPMS compatibility regarding new wheels (4runner) on GX

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-08, 12:45 PM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS compatibility regarding new wheels (4runner) on GX

Does anyone know if the TPMS stems for the 18" 4runner LTD wheels are compatible with the GX's monitoring? i.e. are they frequency compatible.

I guess the question really applies to anyone who has put new wheels on with new TPMS stems.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-30-08, 10:43 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinsofla
Does anyone know if the TPMS stems for the 18" 4runner LTD wheels are compatible with the GX's monitoring? i.e. are they frequency compatible.

I guess the question really applies to anyone who has put new wheels on with new TPMS stems.

Thanks,
Bob
I bought a set of 4runner limited wheels for my 2008 from the local toyota dealer.

I then bought a set of lexus sensors from an online dealer, and tires from the tire-rack.

I installed the sensors onto the wheels myself and had a local tire shop mount the tires.

Important step: be sure to record the serial numbers of the stems for the lexus dealer -- they need to program the vehicle for the new sensors.

I had the dealer "code" the truck to the new sensors at a scheduled service, and everything's been fine since.

I'm not positive that lexus sensors are the same as toyota sensors, but I'd be really surprised if they weren't.

Scott.
Old 11-02-08, 08:16 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinsofla

Thanks,
Bob
I have a set of TPMS for sale along with wheels and tires from my 08 GX470.
Let me know if you have any interest.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/893977583.html
Old 11-03-08, 06:15 AM
bobinsofla
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I bought a set of 4runner limited wheels for my 2008 from the local toyota dealer.

I then bought a set of lexus sensors from an online dealer, and tires from the tire-rack.

I installed the sensors onto the wheels myself and had a local tire shop mount the tires.

Important step: be sure to record the serial numbers of the stems for the lexus dealer -- they need to program the vehicle for the new sensors.

I had the dealer "code" the truck to the new sensors at a scheduled service, and everything's been fine since.

I'm not positive that lexus sensors are the same as toyota sensors, but I'd be really surprised if they weren't.

Scott.
Thanks Scott for the reply and information. I ordered my 18" 4runner wheels last week. I also ordered a set of compatible sensors from tirerack they had as "take-offs" from a wheel swap and saved a considerable amount of cash.

Hopefully will get the wheels this week and tires mounted and balanced next week