GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Toyota badge on a GX. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 06:00 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by stiles_s
I'm only tempted because the GX is a lightly, very-lightly, badge-engineered toyota landcruiser prado. Show me a cadillac since the cimmaron/cavalier that was such a lightly warmed over chevrolet.
This post has nothing to do with someone's interprutation of how "lightly" converted one manufacturer's brand is as compared to another brand. The fact remains, each vehicle brand has its' own identity, even the Prado as compared to the Lexus GX. I don't know about you, but I would take a Cadillac Cimmaron as apposed to a Chevy Cavalier. That said and to further my point, the Tahoe shares the same platform as the Escalade and I have yet to see anyone rebadge their Escalade as a Chevy Tahoe and or change out their Escalade lights for Chevy Tahoe lights etc. Sorry, it just does not make much sense to me, but as I have said before, to each their own! Good luck with your project and PLEASE post pictures of your "Lexus" after it has been rebadged a Toyota.

Last edited by cssnms; 11-01-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-01-08, 07:13 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first of all I would like to thank everyone for their opinion! I am however going throught with this! I guess im still young and like to stand out by (modifying tastefully)! <-- I will post pics when im done.

Lexus GX470 is offered in the USA & Canada as a Standalone Model, which unlike the "Escalade and Chevy Tahoe" means the PRADO is not offered here.

IM NOT UNDERGRADING THE GX470 BY PLACING A TOYOTA EMBLEM ON IT. THATS BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING TO COMPARE IT TO., (PRADO NOT OFFERED HERE)

WHICH MEANS I WILL STAND OUT FROM THE CROWD. SOME MAY EVEN THINK ITS A PRADO IMPORT FROM JAPAN. OH WELL ....... ,

I WILL PUT UP SOME HQ PICS SOON.....
Old 11-01-08, 09:24 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is still a Lexus.
No Shame
Old 11-01-08, 09:25 PM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

To each is own.
Go for it!
Old 11-01-08, 11:45 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do it, but hey, it's your car.

Turby
Old 11-03-08, 11:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
This post has nothing to do with someone's interprutation of how "lightly" converted one manufacturer's brand is as compared to another brand. The fact remains, each vehicle brand has its' own identity, even the Prado as compared to the Lexus GX. I don't know about you, but I would take a Cadillac Cimmaron as apposed to a Chevy Cavalier. That said and to further my point, the Tahoe shares the same platform as the Escalade and I have yet to see anyone rebadge their Escalade as a Chevy Tahoe and or change out their Escalade lights for Chevy Tahoe lights etc. Sorry, it just does not make much sense to me, but as I have said before, to each their own! Good luck with your project and PLEASE post pictures of your "Lexus" after it has been rebadged a Toyota.
just for argument's sake,t he reason nobody rebadges their escalades as tahoes is becuase both are sold in this country, one is just a higher trim level. there is no reason anyone would want to put standard tahoe trim on the uplevel escalade.
with lexus though, they are sold as toyotas in almost every other country except this one. they have the exact same trim and appointments as we get in our lexus's here.
so really, toyota is just adding lexus badges to what is really a toyota in most countries. for example, the LS is called a toyota celsior in japan, the GS is called a toyota aristo, the SC is called a toyota soarer.

so in actuality, we are driving rebadged toyota's. some people including myself like to bring htem back to what they truly are to represent how they are sold in the rest of the world, just to be different.
Old 11-03-08, 04:39 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 19psi
just for argument's sake,t he reason nobody rebadges their escalades as tahoes is becuase both are sold in this country, one is just a higher trim level. there is no reason anyone would want to put standard tahoe trim on the uplevel escalade.
with lexus though, they are sold as toyotas in almost every other country except this one. they have the exact same trim and appointments as we get in our lexus's here.
so really, toyota is just adding lexus badges to what is really a toyota in most countries. for example, the LS is called a toyota celsior in japan, the GS is called a toyota aristo, the SC is called a toyota soarer.

so in actuality, we are driving rebadged toyota's. some people including myself like to bring htem back to what they truly are to represent how they are sold in the rest of the world, just to be different.
Can't argue with that logic Good luck!
Old 11-04-08, 12:19 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

19psi, pretty much said what I tried to explain. Awesome Explaination!
Old 11-04-08, 02:27 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

19PSI.....so can you show me a picture of an exact duplicate of the Lexus GX470 being sold in a different country under the name Toyota that the ONLY difference is a badge & some trim. I would like to see this GX duplicate body style and look on something being sold as a Toyota.

Last edited by itsZep; 11-04-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-04-08, 09:25 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itsZep
19PSI.....so can you show me a picture of an exact duplicate of the Lexus GX470 being sold in a different country under the name Toyota that the ONLY difference is a badge & some trim. I would like to see this GX duplicate body style and look on something being sold as a Toyota.
just search for pics of a landcruiser prado. from wikipedia:

Old 11-04-08, 09:27 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Old 11-04-08, 09:28 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Old 11-04-08, 09:32 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

ok, I'll stop now
Old 11-04-08, 09:35 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Old 11-04-08, 09:35 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Quick Reply: Toyota badge on a GX. What do you think?