GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Is there a better looking SUV than the GX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 11:45 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Is there a better looking SUV than the GX?

Call me crazy, but even after all these years I still think the GX is the best looking SUV on the market, bar none. Every time I leave work and walk out to my Dorado Gold Pearl GX glistening in the afternoon sunlight I say to myself - "self, that there is one damn good looking SUV!"

The GX IMO still has the best combination of futuristic, rugged, and luxurious styling of any SUV on the market. Yes, it's missing a few modern features like HIDs, but I can't think of any other SUV that I prefer the looks over my GX. I was at the Lexus dealer the other day and saw a new LX 570. No offense to anyone who bought one, but it looked like a giant oversized amoeba wagon. Same goes for most of Toyota/Lexus recent styling.

I'm reminded of the old article below that commented on how well proportioned the GX was when it first came out compared to other SUVs. In fact, I would go so far as to say that if not for the recent gas situation, Lexus could have launched the '03 GX in '09 and it still would have been a big hit. As I was driving to work this morning, I spied a black GX ahead of me and I marveled to myself at what a handsome vehicle it was - it still stood out from the crowd of boring SUV designs even after all these years.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Off-road Wizard

All-new Lexus GX 470 gets downright amazing when the pavement runs out

By Jerry Garrett
SPECIAL TO THE UNION-TRIBUNE

November 9, 2002

No, the Lexus GX 470 is not a gussied-up Toyota Sequoia. It's not even the same vehicle.

The GX 470 is an all-new offering – a third Lexus SUV that is supposed to compete with the BMW 4.4i and the Mercedes ML500 in an emerging "midsize luxury SUV" subcategory.

But don't be surprised if the GX 470, on sale this month, steals a few sales from the Sequoia. And don't be surprised if a few designers and engineers over at Lexus sneak a proud, self-satisfied smile over that.

The somewhat enormous (by Japanese standards) Sequoia was designed by Toyota's U.S. arm, which pushes for the autonomy to design its own super-sized vehicles such as the Sequoia SUV, Avalon sedan and Tundra pickup specifically to sate the gluttonous tastes of American buyers.

The GX 470 is the product of the company's Japanese facilities. On some level, you've got to believe the Sequoia's excesses perplex, if not offend, the conservative Japanese thinking that less is more.

The handsomely styled GX 470 is, then, the home-office thinking of how a well-proportioned SUV should look and be sized.

While the Sequoia blew away the constraints of size formerly imposed by Toyota's top-of-the-line Land Cruiser, the GX 470 is politely smaller by a couple of inches all around than the Lexus LX 470.

And that, in the Lexus way of thinking, gives the GX 470 permission to be more capable in other areas – such as agility, adaptability and overall ability........

Last edited by GatorGreg; 10-30-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 12:14 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg.....I suppose "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder,
but I agree with you, the GX470 is tops. I like the looks of some
Escalades, but you just know the reliability isn't the same.

Old 10-30-08, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The GX does look good from the front and the side, but it unproportionally tall in the back.
Old 10-30-08, 02:39 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think with a slight refresh, the GX is still far in the game

Old 10-30-08, 06:04 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The GX does look good from the front and the side, but it unproportionally tall in the back.
Never a complaint sitting inside. A lot of headroom. Agree, it is still a good looker.
Old 10-31-08, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The interior is still very nice looking, enough headroom for a NBA player. The passenger seat can use a few more adjustment and the back seats can be a bit more more comfortable. Other than that, the interior is 1st class. I have yet to find a SUV or car build as solid as the GX.
Old 10-31-08, 10:30 AM
98Nav400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the GX for right at 4 years. I think it has aged exceptionally well and the style still looks current (which is amazing) but:
*as said above, from the rear it looks tall and awkward
*the stereo cluster looks dated (I have Nav)
*its less sporty, more grocery getter/station wagonish than others I like

Better looking IMO
1) Range Rover Sport ~ except the monster struts on the rear axles
2) New X5 I like a lot
3) Audi Q7

I think the GX is an excellent value and does everything well, which is its strong point for me. Based on looks alone, I would pick one of the ones above. Price/Quality/Reliability I would choose the GX again.
Old 11-03-08, 06:09 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the op and the others that have posted. There are other suvs out there that looks but but whenever i spot a gx on the road, i'm like "i'm glad i have one of those." it just looks so good, not outdated looking like some of the other suvs that are on the road.

The new Audi q7 is so sexy looking too.
Old 11-04-08, 05:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Audi is really starting to put out some really nice cars and their reliability is getting better too. They are breaking sales record all over European, Audis are one of the best kept secerts in the US car market.
Old 11-04-08, 06:25 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the GX is the best looker among SUVs it has that real rugged truck like look unlike the crossovers. If only I could have a GX 470 right now that would be even better. It's also the perfect size SUV if you ask me. Not too big, not too small neither. Here in NYC it's pretty normal to see the 08 models too, i really like the new tailamps on them.
Old 11-05-08, 11:16 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah...I love the look of the GX...its like a hot chick; you can't help but to stare at EVERYTHING. LOL

I do agree that it could use some updates like some 20" wheels.

I went out to lunch with a business partner today and he has a Mercedes SUV, don't recall which model. In the past we've taken his but today we drove my GX he said that the GX's styling is way above his Mercedes.
Old 11-05-08, 01:48 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Audi is really starting to put out some really nice cars and their reliability is getting better too. They are breaking sales record all over European, Audis are one of the best kept secerts in the US car market.
Not according to my friend who works for Rusnak Audi, they come in with the most awkward problems.
Design wise tho, they are beautiful
Old 11-06-08, 05:45 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the older Audi are very problematic, the latest generation of Audi have been getting great reliablility rating from JD power and all across Europe. Thats why Audi is still such a great secert in the US, people still remember those unreliable Audi from the laste 90s and the below average reliability from the early 2000s. Of course with any European cars, stay away from the 1st year design, but other than that, in the last 3 to 4 years, European cars have improve more than any other country or region as far as reliability is concerned.
The GX and 4Runner is one of the most reliable SUV in the Toyota / Lexus lineup, but if you at some of the other Lexus cars and SUV, they are actually not as reliable as they use to be. As a whole, I think Lexus quality and relaiblility is on the decline, while many other manufacturer is on the rise.