GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

PICTURE of GX470 with TOYOTA EMBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 10:44 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
I'm not a moderator but I don't think these kinds of posts are viewed very positively at CL - at least not in the GX subforum. We're more "civilized" than that in our crticisms
I agree. I think the OP is the perfect forum/thread to discuss changing a GX into a Prado. Comments like the previous post are not needed.
Old 11-17-08, 07:27 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I agree. I think the OP is the perfect forum/thread to discuss changing a GX into a Prado. Comments like the previous post are not needed.
Your confusing posts are the type of information that are not needed here. Go do your research before you post like you know what you're writing about.

Last edited by malmon; 11-17-08 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 07:34 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
I'm not a moderator but I don't think these kinds of posts are viewed very positively at CL - at least not in the GX subforum. We're more "civilized" than that in our crticisms
The OP can do whatever he wants with his vehicle, afterall it is his vehicle, but to call members who question him as "Badge Snobs" is what ticked me off.

Last edited by malmon; 11-17-08 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-17-08, 08:15 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=malmon;4013556] "Badge Snobs" QUOTE]

But the GX470 if fact is really a Prado except for the 4.7 and KDSS.

Last edited by pagemaster; 11-17-08 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 06:26 AM
malmon
Intermediate

[QUOTE=pagemaster;4013714]
Originally Posted by malmon
"Badge Snobs" QUOTE]

But the GX470 if fact is really a Prado except for the 4.7 and KDSS.
It looks like you don’t read your own posts:
On your first post, you wrote Prado does not come with a 4.7L V-8
Next, you claim that the 4.7L V-8 is offered with the Prado.
Now, you are trying to say the Prado is the GX without the 4.7L V-8.

Make up your mind, does the Prado come with a 4.7L V-8 engine? If not, then how can 2 vehicles (prado and GX) with 2 different engines be the same vehicle.

Here's my earlier post:
The toyota prado is not offered with a 4.7L V8, so even though they may share some parts and body panels or even have the same platform, it is not the EXACT same vehicle.

Maybe a better description would be that the GX470 is the upgraded version of the prado. Just like the Lexus brand is the upgraded version of Toyota.
Old 11-18-08, 06:38 AM
malmon
Intermediate

What are you doing here anyway? This subforum discusses things or issues related to the Lexus GX470, including the 4.7L V-8, satellite nav w/ Mark Levinson sound system, leather seats, etc.

If you own a Prado, how can you contribute or even make a comment on these things when your vehicle does not have any of these features?

My advice to you is to go find a Prado forum to talk about your diesel engine, etc. over there. While you're at it, bring your retarded lexus-hating friends with you.
Old 11-18-08, 11:24 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Maybe a better description would be that the GX470 is the upgraded version of the prado. Just like the Lexus brand is the upgraded version of Toyota.
Not really. The GX470 is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado.

Not all GX470 models come with navigation and mark levinson. Also the Prado uses the same wood paneling.

Looks like a rebadge.

leather seats
Not really. I have used the Prado in Australia, The leather in the Prado470 I mean GX470 uses the leather from the Land Cruiser Prado VX. The Prado VX is a second highest trim line. There is one more trim level which is the Grande trim which uses a preforated lether very similar to the leather in the Lexus570

The Prado and GX ride the same right down to the adjustable variable suspension and quiet cabin.

Last edited by pagemaster; 11-18-08 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-18-08, 12:26 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you doing here anyway? This subforum discusses things or issues related to the Lexus GX470, including the 4.7L V-8, satellite nav w/ Mark Levinson sound system, leather seats, etc.

If you own a Prado, how can you contribute or even make a comment on these things when your vehicle does not have any of these features?

My advice to you is to go find a Prado forum to talk about your diesel engine, etc. over there. While you're at it, bring your retarded lexus-hating friends with you.
Malmon, if I'm reading you right it sounds like the Lexus brand+badge means a lot to you. Perhaps it makes you feel successful, superior, etc (I'm basing this on your comment that the Prado lovers should "go away"). I'm sure for a lot of us it also signifies "quality" (me included).

I think I fall on the other end of the spectrum. I'd be just as happy with the GX if it had a Toyota badge. In fact, I probably would have been *more* likely to buy it if it was branded as a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado here. The US Toyota Land Cruiser (called the LC "Amazon" in europe, I think) was a close second choice for me.

I'm not saying either of us is "right", just that there's clearly a wide spectrum.

I'm really interested in learning more about my GX. Part of the thing I'm really curious about is how the product is offered in other countries. I feel that the LC Prado is close enough to be a proxy for how the truck is used around the world.

There are many cases of cars w/the same brand being offered w/different trim and power packages around the world. Diesel is a great example, many cars offer Diesel in europe but not in the US (vw/audi for one). They also offer smaller engine choices in europe overall (you see 1.6l and 1.8l vws running around europe, whereas the smallest engine you can get here is a 2.0).

So, I don't think the existence of the 4.7 in the GX makes it a fundamentally different car than the Prado. If there was something magical about the 4.7, maybe. But, as others have noted, there isn't. It's a widely shared powerplant across the Toyota/Lexus line.

I'd love it if more Prado experts started showing up here. I think they may be more likely to use their trucks like I use mine: hauling, getting it very dirty, towing, etc. Like a *utility vehicle*.

Also, anyone know of an active Prado site? I've searched various Land Cruiser forums and come up relatively empty. I'm still a bit mystified by the many flavors of the LC (80, 100, 120, etc.).

Cheers.
Old 11-18-08, 12:28 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

There is one more trim level which is the Grande trim which uses a preforated lether very similar to the leather in the Lexus570

The Prado and GX ride the same right down to the adjustable variable suspension and quiet cabin.
But, but, but... my Lexus dealer gave me a capuccino and told me I was special
Old 11-18-08, 01:30 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Not really. The GX470 is a rebadged Toyota Land Cruiser Prado.

Not all GX470 models come with navigation and mark levinson. Also the Prado uses the same wood paneling.

Looks like a rebadge.

Not really. I have used the Prado in Australia, The leather in the Prado470 I mean GX470 uses the leather from the Land Cruiser Prado VX. The Prado VX is a second highest trim line. There is one more trim level which is the Grande trim which uses a preforated lether very similar to the leather in the Lexus570

How does this disprove my statement?
The toyota prado is not offered with a 4.7L V8, so even though they may share some parts and body panels or even have the same platform, it is not the EXACT same vehicle.

Show me a Prado with a V-8 engine. You are showing the interior of a Prado which is similar to the GX, what does that prove?

The engine of the GX is similar to a 4runner, does that mean the GX470 and the 4runner are the same? If so, why the difference in price? I'll tell you why, it's the upgrades that makes it different.
Old 11-18-08, 01:32 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stiles_s
But, but, but... my Lexus dealer gave me a capuccino and told me I was special
It's kind of stupid don't you think when you find the Lexus brand to be a huge turnoff and yet here you are in a LEXUS forum.
Old 11-18-08, 03:14 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

QUOTE=stiles_s;4015458]Malmon, if I'm reading you right it sounds like the Lexus brand+badge means a lot to you. Perhaps it makes you feel successful, superior, etc QUOTE]

LOL! All of this coming from a guy a who drives a Porsche Boxter, Audi S4 AND a LEXUS and who proudly displays them with each and every post. Now who's really trying to over compensate for something... Don't be such a hypocrite! But I guess you only purchsed these vehicles for their performance as opposed to the brand reputation and unique styling - what a joke.

This is not the first time that you have directly/indirectly insulted or belittled CL members and the GX 470 owners on this site. Personally I find your generalizations of Lexus owners not only baseless, but insulting and childish. If you want to rant on about how you believe the GX is a Prado, fine, but don't start throwing out broad generlizations about everyone on this site due to some sort of inferiority complex that you have.
Grow up already!!!
Old 11-18-08, 03:52 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cssnms
QUOTE=stiles_s;4015458]Malmon, if I'm reading you right it sounds like the Lexus brand+badge means a lot to you. Perhaps it makes you feel successful, superior, etc QUOTE]

LOL! All of this coming from a guy a who drives a Porsche Boxter, Audi S4 AND a LEXUS and who proudly displays them with each and every post. Now who's really trying to over compensate for something... Don't be such a hypocrite! But I guess you only purchsed these vehicles for their performance as opposed to the brand reputation and unique styling - what a joke.

This is not the first time that you have directly/indirectly insulted or belittled CL members and the GX 470 owners on this site. Personally I find your generalizations of Lexus owners not only baseless, but insulting and childish. If you want to rant on about how you believe the GX is a Prado, fine, but don't start throwing out broad generlizations about everyone on this site due to some sort of inferiority complex that you have.
Grow up already!!!
I wrote what could have been interpreted as an inflammatory reply, so I deleted it. I don't think I'm making progress, so I'll cut off oxygen (or gasoline depending on your perspective). I'll try to grow up.

I also nuked the info about my other cars from my sig. Seems it made some people uncomfortable.

I love the Lexus brand. I love the Lexus brand. I love the Lexus brand.

Last edited by stiles_s; 11-18-08 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 05:00 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Because he's an idiot.
I don't think that op is an idiot.

I think this is why toyota does not have the prado here in the us simply because it is the same thing as our gx with the exception of the engine. It would make no sense for them to do so.

But whether or not the prado is available in the us, i would still never put a toyota badge on my gx cause if i wanted the toyota version i would have bought one instead.

I didn't pay an extra ammount of money for a lexus and then put a toyota badge on it.

But like in my other post, to each his own. Just like for the ones that want to put aftermarket rims on their gx, i see nothing wrong with it while others would bash on it.
Old 11-18-08, 10:32 PM
GX470GT
Driver

Default Pagemaster knows what he is talking about!

Pagemaster knows what he is talking about!

Who cares about the engine specs! Soon Lexus will have Diesel cars too but right now there is no demand!

Toyota Prado has a Petrol V6 also. (Not only diesel)

Most Prado's are just as powerful and fast as GX470. There is nothing to brag about with the 12 year old 4.7L engine its a thing of the past. ITS OUTDATED ANYWAYS!

Some Prado's are better equipt than GX470. ex: larger fuel tank for longer range. Also Prado's have a inclinometer! Good for Offroad!

Reason I placed a Toyota emblem on my GX470 is because I wan't it to look as close as possible to the Prado. I also Ordered the Prado Rear door with the spare tire! I wan't to be the only one driving a Prado Clone! There are too many GX's around. I Take my car offroad! ALOT! And most folks that have a Prado take their car offroad also. Almost no one takes their GX offroad, because they like the way the "L" looks at the shopping mall! Most folks buy the GX470 because they can't afford the mac daddy Landcruiser/LX470. The LX has more room, rides better and has a more convenient tailgate door. The RX has more room handles better than the GX yet people go out and buy the GX because of CLASS! If people would buy a GX and use it for towing, wheeling, and other duties like people do in other countries, than I completely agree and approve, but most GX users are women that drive the GX to work to the mall and then back home. Most don't even have people in the car. The only upside to this is Safety! If you buy the car because your scared your gonna get run over on the highway with a lifted 3500 chevy than buy all means you did the right thing buying a GX, LX or whatever larger car you can find! But if you bought the car to show off your status than the RX in all Practicality would suit most people better.

Quick Reply: PICTURE of GX470 with TOYOTA EMBLEM