GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

PICTURE of GX470 with TOYOTA EMBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 08:03 AM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by GX470GT
Most folks buy the GX470 because they can't afford the mac daddy Landcruiser/LX470. The LX has more room, rides better and has a more convenient tailgate door. [/B] The RX has more room handles better than the GX yet people go out and buy the GX because of CLASS!
I disagree, I used to own a '98 LX470 and I've driven several loaner RX's and IMO the GX is the best of both worlds. The luxury of the RX just doesn't compare IMO to the GX and compared to the LX the GX has a lot more (2.5") 2nd row leg room (compared to '98-'07 LX) and it has over an inch more headroom. So for me and my small but tall family the GX feels just as big on the inside but in a tidier exterior package. Don't get me wrong, the LX was an awesome vehicle, but when I'm driving my GX I don't miss the LX at all.

I don't think I'm alone in this regard - here's what Edmunds said about the GX in it's very first review:

"First Impression: A luxurious sport-ute that offers a near-perfect blend of on- and off-road capability. You won't miss the LX 470."
The following users liked this post:
ct200 (03-28-21)
Old 11-19-08, 08:22 AM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have tried real hard to avoid not posting in this thread but it's getting out of control in here...

IMO, There is no right or wrong answer here, it's a matter of perception.

The GX and Prado share the same frames, body (minus the front end), suspension (same as the grande model), interior (with the exception of a few differences, but pretty much the same), axels, bolt patterns, etc.

The common complain of the GX side opening rear door IS because of the Prado, Lexus did not design it.

So to deny that the GX and Prado are very similar (almost the same) is ignorant.

However, to say that they are the same is also false.

The GX and Prado can be one or the other when stripped down, you can add the V8 to the Prado, the GX front end, and all the other parts that the GX has that the Prado doesn't, as well as the opposite with little to no modification needed.

Toyota and Lexus are completely intertwined, when you go get parts from the Lexus counter, you get Toyota marked parts.

but the way the GX comes as a package does make it a GX470, if you tell someone in Australia that you drive a GX470 here, they are gonna think GX470, and not Prado (however experts will know the real differences/similarities) but as a whole package we here have the GX470.

Again, there is no right or wrong answer here, it's all a matter of perception.

a lil contradictory, but that's because I see it from both sides of the fence.

Dan

PS: let's lock this up
Old 11-19-08, 09:35 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pagemaster knows what he is talking about!

Who cares about the engine specs! Soon Lexus will have Diesel cars too but right now there is no demand!

Toyota Prado has a Petrol V6 also. (Not only diesel)

Most Prado's are just as powerful and fast as GX470. There is nothing to brag about with the 12 year old 4.7L engine its a thing of the past. ITS OUTDATED ANYWAYS!

Some Prado's are better equipt than GX470. ex: larger fuel tank for longer range. Also Prado's have a inclinometer! Good for Offroad!
You have just added more to the differences between a prado and the GX, which is the exact opposite of what pagemaster is trying to do.

And most folks that have a Prado take their car offroad also.
Of course, because Prado is not available in the continental US, it is offered in other countries in Asia and Australia where there are areas with no roads at all.

Last edited by malmon; 11-19-08 at 09:47 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 09:45 AM
malmon
Intermediate

Almost no one takes their GX offroad, because they like the way the "L" looks at the shopping mall!
Originally Posted by stiles_s
"to me, the lexus brand was a huge turnoff"

Malmon, if I'm reading you right it sounds like the Lexus brand+badge means a lot to you. Perhaps it makes you feel successful, superior, etc (I'm basing this on your comment that the Prado lovers should "go away"). I'm sure for a lot of us it also signifies "quality" (me included).

"But, but, but... my Lexus dealer gave me a capuccino and told me I was special"
These two think they know why people buy the Lexus brand, and it's not because of value, durability or safety; to them owning a Lexus has a negative connotation.

Most of us here purchased a Lexus brand vehicle, joined this online community of Lexus owners and enthusiasts, to share, appreciate and enjoy what we have and own. These two parasites bought the same Lexus brand, join this LEXUS forum and then insult fellow Lexus owners for buying a brand that they themselves bought.
Old 11-19-08, 09:48 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Most folks buy the GX470 because they can't afford
the mac daddy Landcruiser/LX470"

What a bunch of baloney!

I don't care for the LX so I bought what I do like which is the GX.

Price is not even part of the equation.

If offered the LX & GX for the exact same price there is not
even a 1% hesitation that I only would pick the GX.

The GX is what works for me, I would not want an LX at any price.

If I wanted an LX I would of bought one!

"The LX has more room, rides better and has a more
convenient tailgate door"

But I don't want or need "more room".
I love the tailgate on my GX!
To me the LX looks like hell and is and looks too big.
No thanks.

"The RX has more room handles better than the GX yet
people go out and buy the GX because of CLASS!"

More baloney!

I think my GX looks tons better than an RX, pulls a boat
better, and is safer than an RX.

Whenever I have my GX in for servicing they provide me a loaner
and a few times it has been a RX. It is always obvious to me what
a huge difference it is in class of vehicle. It's not even close.

But again 2EachHisOwn.

Who ya kiddin?...An RX to this?....LOL....yeah sure!

Last edited by itsZep; 11-19-08 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-19-08, 12:23 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malmon
"to me, the lexus brand was a huge turnoff"

Malmon, if I'm reading you right it sounds like the Lexus brand+badge means a lot to you. Perhaps it makes you feel successful, superior, etc (I'm basing this on your comment that the Prado lovers should "go away"). I'm sure for a lot of us it also signifies "quality" (me included).

"But, but, but... my Lexus dealer gave me a capuccino and told me I was special"
These two think they know why people buy the Lexus brand, and it's not because of value, durability or safety; to them owning a Lexus has a negative connotation.

Most of us here purchased a Lexus brand vehicle, joined this online community of Lexus owners and enthusiasts, to share, appreciate and enjoy what we have and own. These two parasites bought the same Lexus brand, join this LEXUS forum and then insult fellow Lexus owners for buying a brand that they themselves bought.
Wow.

Great job cutting out a few snippets and pasting them together out of context (do you happen to run political campaigns? ). You're clearly trying to bring the community together, right?

Here's my post in its entirety if anyone cares: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=38

Let me ask, would you prefer:
a) having everyone in the community share the same opinions, or
b) having diversity of opinion in the group, with open discourse?

I strongly prefer b.

ps. I suppose I was rude for saying the lexus brand makes you feel superior (which I deduced from your comments about how the people who wanted to talk about lowly toyotas should leave the forum). Sorry for that. Clearly unfounded.

pps. ItZep: love the picture!

ppps. I love my GX

Last edited by stiles_s; 11-19-08 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 12:44 PM
GatorGreg
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 114 Posts

...retarded...
...idiot...
...stupid...
...parasites...
These two parasites bought the same Lexus brand, join this LEXUS forum and then insult fellow Lexus owners for buying a brand that they themselves bought.
I would recommend that you practice what you preach and stop insulting fellow Lexus owners.
Old 11-19-08, 01:29 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GatorGreg
I would recommend that you practice what you preach and stop insulting fellow Lexus owners.
I would recommend that you read more carefully, if you notice, all these retaliatory remarks are directed ONLY against the two parasites I was referring to:

GX470GT- who referred to people who happen to disagree that rebadging of his GX into a toyota is good idea as "Badge Snobs"

and

stiles s - who thinks "the lexus brand was a huge turnoff"

Last edited by malmon; 11-19-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-19-08, 01:38 PM
malmon
Intermediate

ps. I suppose I was rude for saying the lexus brand makes you feel superior (which I deduced from your comments about how the people who wanted to talk about lowly toyotas should leave the forum). Sorry for that. Clearly unfounded.
You must be a politician, you are good at making up stuff, where in all of my posts did I refer to toyota as "lowly"? It must be your inferiority complex that's subconsciously misreading the posted words.

You know what they say, when you're not telling the truth, then you're ly*ng...
Old 11-19-08, 01:58 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You must be a politician, you are good at making up stuff, where in all of my posts did I refer to toyota as "lowly"? It must be your inferiority complex that's subconsciously misreading the posted words.

You know what they say, when you're not telling the truth, then you're ly*ng...

I recommend everyone click the link -- I did. I think someone needs a hug.
Old 11-19-08, 02:20 PM
malmon
Intermediate

I recommend everyone click the link -- I did. I think someone needs a hug.
Now, he's trying to be funny. Want to be the clown? Sure, you are perfect for the job.
Old 11-19-08, 03:14 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then you're ly*ng...
mmmm...I bet you don't even own a GX470
Old 11-19-08, 03:31 PM
malmon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pagemaster
mmmm...
Must be a new experience for you. I think you should do it more often.
Old 11-19-08, 03:47 PM
LexGX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pagemaster knows what he is talking about!

Who cares about the engine specs! Soon Lexus will have Diesel cars too but right now there is no demand!

Toyota Prado has a Petrol V6 also. (Not only diesel)

Most Prado's are just as powerful and fast as GX470. There is nothing to brag about with the 12 year old 4.7L engine its a thing of the past. ITS OUTDATED ANYWAYS!

Some Prado's are better equipt than GX470. ex: larger fuel tank for longer range. Also Prado's have a inclinometer! Good for Offroad!

Reason I placed a Toyota emblem on my GX470 is because I wan't it to look as close as possible to the Prado. I also Ordered the Prado Rear door with the spare tire! I wan't to be the only one driving a Prado Clone! There are too many GX's around. I Take my car offroad! ALOT! And most folks that have a Prado take their car offroad also. Almost no one takes their GX offroad, because they like the way the "L" looks at the shopping mall! Most folks buy the GX470 because they can't afford the mac daddy Landcruiser/LX470. The LX has more room, rides better and has a more convenient tailgate door. The RX has more room handles better than the GX yet people go out and buy the GX because of CLASS! If people would buy a GX and use it for towing, wheeling, and other duties like people do in other countries, than I completely agree and approve, but most GX users are women that drive the GX to work to the mall and then back home. Most don't even have people in the car. The only upside to this is Safety! If you buy the car because your scared your gonna get run over on the highway with a lifted 3500 chevy than buy all means you did the right thing buying a GX, LX or whatever larger car you can find! But if you bought the car to show off your status than the RX in all Practicality would suit most people better.

With that comment that you just made, i officially call you an idiot. I did not purchase my gx because i couldn't afford an lx. The previous lx was an ugly pos (to my opinion and not to offend anyone that has one also to each his own). The lx states that it has more room but i can't tell any difference.

I haven't rode in a lx but i've rode in a land cruiser and i enjoy the gx ride better.
Old 11-19-08, 04:41 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't feed the TROLLS!

Quick Reply: PICTURE of GX470 with TOYOTA EMBLEM