GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

iPhone 3g and GX470 Bluetooth Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 07:27 PM
tlindsey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy iPhone 3g and GX470 Bluetooth Issue

Hi there, I am about to buy a 2005 GX470 that has the ML sound system, NAV, and bluetooth. I started testing out all the tech features and was dismayed to find out that I couldn't get the Bluetooth working properly. I have a 2007 Prius which works great with my BT and the config was slightly similar. Here's what happened.

The GX found my phone and paired easily. It shows battery and signal strength and when I dialed out it ~appeared~ to be working just fine. I had the radio on and it went silent when I initiated the call. The problem is that I didn't hear any sound. I switched audio sources on the iphone to verify that I was connected and I could hear just fine through the iPhone's speaker, but when I switched back to the GX's Bluetooth, there was no sound. When I hung up the call, the stereo came back on playing music. I tried this a couple times with the same result.

I've read on the forums here about a special BT menu for sound and quality, but I am not sure if this is my issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,
Thomas
Old 11-10-08, 05:40 AM
rick@cloth
Driver School Candidate

Thomas,

I have an 06 GX and use a first gen iPhone with no problems. the iPhone replaced a Sony/Ericsson that gave occasional problems

Rick in Atlanta
Old 11-13-08, 10:26 AM
peterh
Rookie

Have same 05 GX as you describe with 3G iPhone v2.1 Pairing and phone works just fine for me. There is a delay when dialing directly from the phone and it appears "dead" until someone actually picks up on the other end. Usually we go through a "hello...hello...hello...then the connection is made. You will not hear the phone dialing. Try dialing from the Nav screen and you should hear the phone ringing through the stereo system.
Old 11-14-08, 08:46 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

My brother has a new '08 GX (2 months old) and a 4 month old iPhone. There is a constant "cut out" when using the Bluetooth. Yet if I use my LG phone on his GX Bluetooth, it works fine, suggesting that the problem is not the vehicle. He's almost ready to get the new Blackberry instead, but would prefer to keep the iPhone.

I posted about this a while back here and that post disappeared. Are there any updates on this problem or solutions or work-arounds?
Old 12-03-08, 02:26 PM
tlindsey
Driver School Candidate

Default bt again

Sounds like I might have some other problem because I can't get any sound to come or go. I connect to people, but I can't hear them. I wonder if they can hear me? Anybody know how to tweak the hidden BT control panel settings?

Thanks,
Thomas

Originally Posted by peterh
Have same 05 GX as you describe with 3G iPhone v2.1 Pairing and phone works just fine for me. There is a delay when dialing directly from the phone and it appears "dead" until someone actually picks up on the other end. Usually we go through a "hello...hello...hello...then the connection is made. You will not hear the phone dialing. Try dialing from the Nav screen and you should hear the phone ringing through the stereo system.
Old 12-03-08, 09:52 PM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

I have a first gen iphone with a 2005 gx and I initally thought it wasn't working, but there's 2 things to note:

1. When dialing from the phone, you won't hear the ring through the car speakers, you'll hear nothing until the person picks up
2. Once the person picks up, there's an additional dealy until you can hear them, so as others have expereinced, they'll say hello a few times, then you can finally hear and talk to them (if they still want to talk to you after all of that confusion )

Or basically what peterh said (just read that). At least that's my experience, maybe in your case you never get to hear them no matter how long you wait and how many times they say their greeting.

When accessing the service menu (the only one I know of), I don't remember off the top of my head seeing any blue tooth settings...but I could be wrong.
Old 12-03-08, 11:40 PM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

Okay, i found the right service menu that relates to blue tooth. There's a option for sending volume level adj, receiving volume level adj, and voice quality type. Mine were set at 0, 0, and 7. I do seem to have a hard time hearing people, so I turned up the receive volume to +2 and it actually worked, the next call I got was much louder.

I guess theoretically your volumes could all be at -10 or something and that's why you can't hear people.

Not sure what the voice quality type settings do, but it didn't seem to go past 7 no matter what I pressed.

To get to this menu, hit Display, then in the middle box touch the upper left then lower left, repeat 3x. Then hit Menu in the top right, then you'll the BT quality option on the bottom.