GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

2005 GX470: Allow dialing via bluetooth while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 12:47 AM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GX470: Allow dialing via bluetooth while driving?

Can this be done easily for an '05 GX? I've done some searching on these forums, but haven't seen anything definitive on this for an '05 GX470. I recently purchased an 05 GX (love it) and was surprised that you can't even do the 1-touch dial when the car is moving!

I guess you're supposed to pull over on the way home from work when you need to ask your wife if you need to pick up milk...yeah right! If I can change the heat from 70 to 72 while driving, I can sure hit "1" on the speed dial Lexus .

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-08, 07:11 PM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

Actually it looks like my one-touch dialing works, but it just doesn't show the numbers. I just see blank sqaures in the one-touch dial menu, but pressing the right one will call that person while the vehicle is moving.

Also it doesn't look like I can manually add people to the address book, so not sure what to do as my iphone won't transfer its book.
Old 12-03-08, 01:04 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

I agree with you 100% lukehum, Lexus is so over protective and kinda silly when it comes to this sort of stuff!! My wife's Acura will even let you enter an address into the navigation while driving. I have been able to transfer numbers one at a time from my phone but I think each phone and carrier has mixed results. My Lexus service rep gave me this website to check out about each phone and it's compatability:
lexus.letstalk.com
Old 12-03-08, 01:19 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Luke,

What version of nav software do you have in your GX?

You've likely got a few options including
1) Use voice commands to do the one touch dialing

2) manual override sequence (if you're still on the OEM 2005 software version)
With the Navigation on
Tap Menu
Tap Volume
Tap upper left of the display once
Tap lower left of the display once
Tap upper left of the display once
Tap lower left of the display once
A menu of options should appear. You need to press and hold the Override option until you hear a beep then let go
Hit the address button and you should be able to enter the address while driving
You have to do this every time you start the car. I can't recall off the top of my head if this also frees up the bluetooth, but does allow Nav entry while driving (clarified below by another owner that it does not)

3) install and use an aftermarket product like the Ultimate Lockpick which will do the override for you (I have this in my 2005 LS430)
4) create a hybrid nav disc if you have upgraded and own both the old and new nav DVDs (complex). This may be required to do the override above on newer versions of the Nav software or use the lockpick to open up BT.

You can search for each of these - try other model forums if you don't find it in the GX forum.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-07-08 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-03-08, 09:41 PM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

I know the nav override and I'm okay with using that for now vs. a lockpick, but it doesn't affect the phone functionality while driving. I can actually still use the one touch commands while driving, but it doesn't display the numbers on them so I've just memorized which buttons are for which people. Plus because I can't transfer any contacts, I can only assign incoming/outgoing calls to one touch buttons (I have a 1st gen iphone). It's bearable like this, but far from ideal.

For contacts not in one touch, I end up having to look through my phone and initiate calls that way, which means I then have the delay problem where someone says hello 2x before the system pushes audio from the phone through the car speakers. Using the one touch, the phone audio begins through the car speakers right away so I hear the first ring and beyond. This is how the aftermarket stereo in my acura works even when initiating from the phone, which I much prefer .

Jolex yes my TL lets me do anything on the system while driving...Acura treats me more like an adult
Old 12-04-08, 10:49 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

OK I'm now pretty sure it has to do with the phone and compatability. I switched back to my motorola v3 which is pretty much fully supported from that web site I mentioned in a previous post. Now my one touch buttons stay lit while driving at any speed. Actually while driving if I press the "off the phone" button on the steering wheel it goes directly to the one touch menu. Also when dialing this way the phone rings through the speaker which allows you to not to the whole hello..hello..hello thing. With my previous phone it did all the things you mentioned. I also have an '05 so same version software.
Old 12-04-08, 01:00 PM
lukehum
Driver School Candidate

Looks like I'm going to have to live with that behavior as I like my iphone too much .
Old 12-04-08, 07:35 PM
sickntired
Intermediate

You will need to cut some wires to get the functionality you want
Old 12-05-08, 12:03 PM
LexusBob
Pole Position

I've learned to live with it in my 2005 GX.
Old 12-09-08, 02:19 PM
peterh
Rookie

I have the "ultimate lockpick" on my 05 which allows full phone use while driving. Easy part to install, but not the easiest company to work with. My first one didnt work correctly, but they did send a replacement once I was able to contact someone.