GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Help Pls: Warped Brake Rotor Repair Covered by Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 09:03 AM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Pls: Warped Brake Rotor Repair Covered by Warranty?

My 2007 GX470's front brake/rotors need repair/replacement. I plan to bring car to dealership but first a quick question please. I thought this is a wear item and therefore I will need to pay for the cost. But I ran across this post where OP seems to indicate the work is repaired under warranty?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...faced-pic.html

So is a warped rotor considered a manufacturer's defect, and not a wear item? And therefore covered under warranty?
Thanks in advance.
Old 12-13-08, 10:07 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Your answer is probably based on the mileage of your brakes. What's your mileage?

If they're really new (<10K?), then I'd say warranty. If they've got >30K on them, I'd say wear and tear. Might not be normal, but your driving habits may be called into question more successfully at that time. For example, if the rotors didn't warp immediately, then the stealership will argue that it's either normal or you! My guess only.

Tell us how it goes.
Old 12-14-08, 05:57 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It will be a tough sell unless you have extremely LOW miles and or you are a real pain in the a$$.
Old 12-14-08, 05:48 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by cannga
My 2007 GX470's front brake/rotors need repair/replacement. I plan to bring car to dealership but first a quick question please. I thought this is a wear item and therefore I will need to pay for the cost. But I ran across this post where OP seems to indicate the work is repaired under warranty?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...faced-pic.html

So is a warped rotor considered a manufacturer's defect, and not a wear item? And therefore covered under warranty?
Thanks in advance.

Simple answer rotors r covered for 4 years and 50 k Miles. not a wear and tear item. GX is a heavy car, it happens a lot. first couple of times they will machine, finally they will end up changing it. dont worry
Old 12-14-08, 06:02 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make it a big deal,they should warranty a 2007. We bought a CPO GX470 with 53 k miles. We complained about the brakes and they machined 2 rotors.Just out of curiosity,how many miles do you have on it?
Old 12-15-08, 06:24 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by DallasGX
Simple answer rotors r covered for 4 years and 50 k Miles. not a wear and tear item. GX is a heavy car, it happens a lot. first couple of times they will machine, finally they will end up changing it. dont worry
INCORRECT! Rotors are not covered under the 4yr/50k warranty. To the contrary, this is a wear-and-tear item, just like your windshield wipers or your brake pads. If the dealer is adamant about not replacing/resurfacing them you are SOL. That said, many dealers are sympathetic to the problem and choose not to battle with customers over it, especially on a low mileage vehicle.
Old 12-15-08, 05:42 PM
cannga
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for everyone for the helpful replies. My car has 20,000 miles so it's not exactly new.

So the final consensus is that the rotor is NOT covered under warranty?
Old 12-15-08, 06:02 PM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by cssnms
INCORRECT! Rotors are not covered under the 4yr/50k warranty. To the contrary, this is a wear-and-tear item, just like your windshield wipers or your brake pads. If the dealer is adamant about not replacing/resurfacing them you are SOL. That said, many dealers are sympathetic to the problem and choose not to battle with customers over it, especially on a low mileage vehicle.
call the dealer . they R covered...............Pads R not but Rotors R
Old 12-16-08, 06:13 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by cannga
Thanks for everyone for the helpful replies. My car has 20,000 miles so it's not exactly new.

So the final consensus is that the rotor is NOT covered under warranty?
Call or stop by to see your service advisor already! Nobody here is going to give you a definitive answer as to whether or not your dealer will take care of the problem. Everyone's had different experiences with their dealers regarding this issue. Some dealers will choose not to cover it under the misuse provision of the warranty - e.g. claim that you must have overloaded your braking system or whatever... Another dealer may choose to take care of it without any issues. There is enough history behind rotors w/20k miles on them for a dealer to give you a hard time. If the service advisor does not agree to take care of it, try talking to the manager next. There are no guarantees here, but if I were a betting man (and I am not) I give you a 15% chance that your dealer will cover it!

Last edited by cssnms; 12-16-08 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-16-08, 06:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Rotors and pads are not cover under the bumper to bumper warranty, of course there are special circumstances. Usually after 20000, its not covered.
Old 12-16-08, 06:20 AM
cssnms
Racer

You say that with such convinction. I hope the same person that you talked to is still working there when you go in with 25k mi on your warped rotors. The point is it's not a slam dunk! A dealer has an "out" and if they choose not to cover it there is nothing you can do about it. I am speaking from personal experience; now tell me again how rotors are covered under warranty.

Last edited by cssnms; 12-16-08 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 07:45 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I had to bring my 2006 GX in twice for the brakes within 500 miles of use. The brakes were warped and were squealing loudly. The first time they were resurfaced the tech did not shave them properly. I had to take it back to have the shaved again. Lexus said they were uneven. It is great that they fixed the problem, but because they had to do it twice, I lose out on the longevity of the rotors. I just started noticing that my car is pulling to the right.
Old 12-28-08, 05:18 PM
GGGXXX
Rookie

sorry been there, done that....not covered by dealer......and i was a pain / pushed hard but no-go. my car had 40k miles / 3 years so well within warranty...ended up paying for brake job