GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Engine noise at 65-70 mph...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 05:27 AM
uahogs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I asked DH, he said that it was the upgraded/updated drive chain in the transfer case that Lexus started using in the newer models; combo'd with the the noise dampers.

The best I can explain the noise, is like driving on a bad/warped tire and you get that deep wawww sound. If I had the radio on or the kids were watching the DVD, the noise wasn't very noticeable, but I could still feel the vibration. When I drove with all sounds off, that's when I really started to notice the wawww wawww wawww.

Also, since it only made the noice between 65-75 and having to be in the throttle, it took me a few test drives to pinpoint it for DH to hear. I kept having to emulate driving conditions from when I first notice the problems.
Old 01-07-09, 08:16 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by uahogs
I found some info online, on these message boards somewhere, and I emailed it to hubby, here it is:
This is an issue Lexus is aware of - see below for details. Lexus will cover the costs of the repair if your vehicle is still under warranty. In this case it would be the powertrain warranty. It involves a pretty extensive repair.

TSIB DL001-08 (2003–2008 LEXUS GX 470); DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE BETWEEN 55 - 75 MPH
Customers of some 2003 – 2008 model year GX 470 vehicles may complain of a vibration/drone felt in the floorboard or seat when maintaining steady speeds between 55 and 75 mph.

With that said, he printed and took in to Lexus dealer, had the head tech ride with him, and he confirmed what we were hearing. They ordered the parts and repaired my GX today. Here is what they did: (1) replaced catalytic convertor (was getting rotten egg smell on throttle); (2) replaced drive chain in transfer case, and (3) added noise damper. Hubby drove car home, about 13 miles, and said it was 'perfect'. We are SO lucky that it fell within the warranty, I only have 35k miles on it, but will time out May '09.
Glad to hear it worked out!
Old 01-14-09, 02:06 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Has this noise/vibration effect always been there and you started noticing or was it getting louder/worse over time?? If so, how long a period of time to get to where you took it in?
Old 01-17-09, 11:23 PM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

at 15000 rpm I feel a little vibration on the steering wheel as well the gas pedal, it is very light like the cell phone vibration feeling but even smoother. I took the car to the dealer and they tell me that this is normal and actualy all the gx are like that. feel it at the most when the car reaches the 5th gear and the rpm at 15000, is anybody body experiencing this?
When I went to the dealer I printed out the tbs ,posted above, from another website and they said that my car is not doing the same thing and it doesn't fall into this category. I also read an article from a magazine doing a review about the gx but i could not remember the name and they say that the gx is pretty smooth except for a little drone/vibration of the powertrain and these people where testing a brand new one. Also I read about the same issue with the 4runners. So is really the Gx has this powertrain drone?
I felt it most after reading some threads about it but really there is a drone or vibration or whatever they call it.
Old 01-18-09, 07:35 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by nalex
at 15000 rpm I feel a little vibration on the steering wheel as well the gas pedal, it is very light like the cell phone vibration feeling but even smoother. I took the car to the dealer and they tell me that this is normal and actualy all the gx are like that. feel it at the most when the car reaches the 5th gear and the rpm at 15000, is anybody body experiencing this?
When I went to the dealer I printed out the tbs ,posted above, from another website and they said that my car is not doing the same thing and it doesn't fall into this category. I also read an article from a magazine doing a review about the gx but i could not remember the name and they say that the gx is pretty smooth except for a little drone/vibration of the powertrain and these people where testing a brand new one. Also I read about the same issue with the 4runners. So is really the Gx has this powertrain drone?
I felt it most after reading some threads about it but really there is a drone or vibration or whatever they call it.
Nope, I do not notice what you describe, but maybe it's because my GX only redlines at 6000 rpm. I gotta get me one of those that tachs to 15,000!
Old 01-18-09, 09:51 AM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Nope, I do not notice what you describe, but maybe it's because my GX only redlines at 6000 rpm. I gotta get me one of those that tachs to 15,000!

hahah sorry about that i meant 1500 but you still gotta get the 15000 one though.
Old 01-18-09, 11:38 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

which dealer in IL did you take it to? That's exactly what my dealer told me that there wasn't anything wrong with mine but I feel a vibration and drone... i am planning on taking it to different dealer for it...
Old 01-18-09, 03:12 PM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoonami
which dealer in IL did you take it to? That's exactly what my dealer told me that there wasn't anything wrong with mine but I feel a vibration and drone... i am planning on taking it to different dealer for it...
Lexus of Peoria. Althought i did not buy the car from them but they are very professional and always take care of my car, they changed a couple things in the car that I didn't expect they are going to do. But for this problem I have no clue i don't know if the car is like that or there is actually a problem, I am very picky and I pay attention to very little details that some people would never notice especially when it comes to the cars. Can you explain exactly what are you feeling and please keep us updated of what are you doing.
plus I was talking about the drone at 1500rpm, I can feel it a little bit when the car is in park or neutral at that rpm so I'm pretty sure that the drone is comming from the powertrain and not the tires as some people said that they got rid of the problem after changing the tires.
Old 01-18-09, 03:45 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Im sure this is the fix! Scroll down and print this TSB and take it to them!

http://www.lexustsb.com/questions/22...EN+55+-+75+MPH
Old 01-18-09, 07:24 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Lexus of Peoria. Althought i did not buy the car from them but they are very professional and always take care of my car, they changed a couple things in the car that I didn't expect they are going to do. But for this problem I have no clue i don't know if the car is like that or there is actually a problem, I am very picky and I pay attention to very little details that some people would never notice especially when it comes to the cars. Can you explain exactly what are you feeling and please keep us updated of what are you doing.
plus I was talking about the drone at 1500rpm, I can feel it a little bit when the car is in park or neutral at that rpm so I'm pretty sure that the drone is comming from the powertrain and not the tires as some people said that they got rid of the problem after changing the tires.
one night i was driving home on highway going 65-70mph with music off... it was very quite since there is no traffic at night and when i was throttling(not hard) just enough to change lane i noticed this unusual deep "wawww wawww wawww" sound ONLY when i gas it, if i let the pedal go it's fine but when i step on a gas it makes that noise with slight vibration on pedal. and i when i took it in of course it was morning where there were traffic so i am sure tech wasn't really paying attention, and when i asked them about this TSB they said car was shaking where you could feel it through your seats.
Old 01-18-09, 09:48 PM
nalex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hoonami
one night i was driving home on highway going 65-70mph with music off... it was very quite since there is no traffic at night and when i was throttling(not hard) just enough to change lane i noticed this unusual deep "wawww wawww wawww" sound ONLY when i gas it, if i let the pedal go it's fine but when i step on a gas it makes that noise with slight vibration on pedal. and i when i took it in of course it was morning where there were traffic so i am sure tech wasn't really paying attention, and when i asked them about this TSB they said car was shaking where you could feel it through your seats.
I will try to take the car on a long highway trip and observe exactly what is doing at variuos speeds like between 50-60 and 60-75 and even at higher speed. because here the roads are not that smooth and it s hard to listen carfully. Usually when I go out of state I take my BMW I like it on the highway more than the lexus. But I guess me and u are experiencing the early signs of the TSIB My car still under the manufacture warranty no for too long though but I have the 100k miles bumper to bumper extended one, so i will wait to get worse so when I go to the dealer it is going to be for sure. Also this this a powertrain issue and the powertrain warranty is longer. I don't know what is your situation with the warranty but take this into consideration. Because the fix is a big job and I have a feeling that the dealers are trying to avoid it as much as they can. What is funny is the GX is my wife's car and she is not noticing anything.
Old 01-18-09, 10:35 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What BMW you have Nalex? The wife has an 08 335XI---super fast machine
Old 01-19-09, 06:11 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

I have this drone at 72 mph and it is obvious, same noises as described but no vibration for me. It is not something you should have to listen carefully for (at least for me), when I hit the magic number and my foot is on the throttle the droning begins very clearly. My tech easily heard this noise during a test drive and has ordered the parts. He has said it is caused mainly due to chain that needs replacing, it is specified on the TSIB posted earlier. I'll let you know how that went... said it would take a couple of days to get the parts in. Also I remember him saying that there is no mechanical issue with the chain, as it is not going bad it is an audible annoyance that some customers have complained about on some trucks.
Old 01-19-09, 11:04 AM
hoonami
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jolex
I have this drone at 72 mph and it is obvious, same noises as described but no vibration for me. It is not something you should have to listen carefully for (at least for me), when I hit the magic number and my foot is on the throttle the droning begins very clearly. My tech easily heard this noise during a test drive and has ordered the parts. He has said it is caused mainly due to chain that needs replacing, it is specified on the TSIB posted earlier. I'll let you know how that went... said it would take a couple of days to get the parts in. Also I remember him saying that there is no mechanical issue with the chain, as it is not going bad it is an audible annoyance that some customers have complained about on some trucks.
how was the vibration??
Old 01-19-09, 01:05 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

no noticeable vibration for me on the driver seat, however, i can notice vibration in passenger and rear seats (normal amount?) - but like i said the drone is very noticable at the right speed with the throttle on. in my car i can hear the drone clearly right away - you can't miss hearing it!!

Quick Reply: Engine noise at 65-70 mph...