GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Maintenance costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 04:52 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance costs

I just had my GX at the dealer yesterday to replace driving lights, of course they noticed additional items....I would like for people to comment on the costs for each:

new brakes $369.00 per axle
brake fluid flush $139.00
Timing belt $725.00 (I would think water pump as well but not included in price)
and air filter and cabin filter they said are dirty and need replaced but not prices listed.

I did not have these items done, I wanted opinions on the costs. Frankly the new brakes are ridiculous....I have 105,000 miles on the vehicle and really never had any issues except for the thump (but that was repaired)

Old 01-06-09, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those are about right for dealer's price. If the brakes are pad and rotors, then its about right also. You can always do it cheaper at a Toyota dealer or independent mechanic.
Old 01-06-09, 05:52 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why is it rediculous to have your brake pads replaced? Unless you had them done 10k mi ago... Frankly the prices are reasonable for a Lexus dealership and in line with what I have paid. If you are floored by the prices, go to a Toyota dealer. The creature comforts are not as nice, but you will save $. As for the other items, they all sound standard and without knowing your vehicle history will assume they have not been addressed in a while. You can change the cabin and engine filter yourself in about 20 min. That said, I would not screw around with the timing belt especially with 105k mi on your truck. I think you are well over the recommended replacement period. If that breaks you have bigger problems, like $3k in engine repair costs.
Old 01-06-09, 05:41 PM
rainmn
Driver

Just for comparison purposes, I had my GX at a Toyota dealer this weekend for a coolant flush. (Had to go to pick up the antifreeze, and changed my mind and just had them do the flush while I was there....it was cold out. )

Anyway - your Lexus dealer quoted you $139 for the brake fluid flush. This Toyota dealer gets $99.95.

As for the timing belt...take it from someone who has had one break on the highway in the middle of the night....replace it now.
Old 01-06-09, 07:55 PM
hoonami
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah toyota dealers are cheaper, on my 02 ES300 i had timingbelt service done at local toyota for $700(timingbelt,waterpump,coolant,drivebelts) when local lexus wanted $1100 for same service.
Old 01-06-09, 08:06 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you guys talk of the timing belt being changed,you are speaking of the belt or the chain that controls the camshaft and valvetrain,right? If so,out of curioosity,on our trucks,is it a belt or a chain? Also,at what mileage should it be changed?
Old 01-07-09, 04:35 AM
GRAYM
Driver

Smile

yes, you are correct it is the belt (on our truck) that drives the cam also they recommend to change it at 90K, which I just found out! normally they replace the water pump at the same time....easier to access since it is totally torn apart anyway. Correct me if i am wrong but that is the way i understand it.
Old 01-07-09, 05:01 AM
GRAYM
Driver

one more question regarding brakes....I am gathering that many folks change the rotors out when they change the brake pads.....is that necessary?
Old 01-07-09, 08:20 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAYM
yes, you are correct it is the belt (on our truck) that drives the cam also they recommend to change it at 90K, which I just found out! normally they replace the water pump at the same time....easier to access since it is totally torn apart anyway. Correct me if i am wrong but that is the way i understand it.
Correct you are...
Old 01-07-09, 08:25 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by GRAYM
one more question regarding brakes....I am gathering that many folks change the rotors out when they change the brake pads.....is that necessary?
not necessarily, it depends on the thickness of the rotor. if you are getting pulsing or vibrations in your steering wheel they should be resurfaced when you chage your pads. If they are not thick enough (and the dealer will confirm with a measurement) they will need to be replaced. Toyota quoted me $575 to replace my rear rotors (parts and labor) excluding the nominal price of pads. Lexus will want north of $800 per axel.
Old 01-11-09, 10:08 PM
ecalica428
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have it replaced by brake masters..it cost me $205 less $10 discount ( ask them a managers discount) for both front brake pads plus resurfacing...they put they put yukosumho or something (OEM) i thought denso is the OEM but they just stamp thier name on the box..they showed me the old and the new pads to satisfy that im having the same brand. for me they are honest guys..i ask them if i need to flush my brake fluids but they told me no need as its still in perfectly clear condition...
i think paying $300 plus per axle is way to much if you can pay $195 for both front...
Old 01-22-09, 11:11 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Those are about right for dealer's price. If the brakes are pad and rotors, then its about right also. You can always do it cheaper at a Toyota dealer or independent mechanic.
a semi-related question for you guys. i'm about to replace all 4 rotors & pad sets and it was suggested that i also think about replacing the calipers as well (my GX has ~67,000miles). it will add another ~$450 to the price tag. i don't mind spending the extra money to ensure that my way-expensive cyro rotors don't get destroyed prematurely. thoughts? thanks.
Old 01-22-09, 01:39 PM
rainmn
Driver

That sounds way too cheap for calipers. I just had to have mine replaced, and the front calipers are close to $400 each from Lexus. (parts only)

Incidentally, it really bugged me to have to replace the calipers on the truck at less than 60,000 miles. Of the 30+ cars and trucks I've owned over the years, this is the first one I've ever had to put new calipers on.
Old 01-23-09, 09:58 AM
ebradford
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i did a bit more poking around & that price was for remanufactured ones. new OEM calipers look to run between $375-400/wheel. at least, i'm guessing that they are new from the dealer. if not, they're seriously screwing owners by charging $400 for a part that you could buy elsewhere for $125.
Old 01-23-09, 10:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I would think you can use the same calipars unless there is something wrong with them. They should not damage the new rotor and pads.

Quick Reply: Maintenance costs