GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models
View Poll Results: Mark Levinson - Good or Bad
It's great, definitely worth the extra few grand
77.27%
No not really, I like the regular premium system better.
22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Mark Levinson - not THAT great

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-09, 06:23 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mark Levinson - not THAT great

I have a the Mark Levinson + DVD navigation package and I'm not impressed.
I thought maybe shell out a few more grand and have a great sounding system. However, it is exactly the opposite - FM radio is muddy, CD's are clear but flat sounding.
I've played around with the treble and bass controls on the screen and it helped a bit.
Perhaps it is because I enjoy hip-hop music and the Mark Levinson system is designed to reproduce the exact sound, which IMHO doesn't sound amazing at all.
What are your thoughts?
Old 01-18-09, 08:17 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure you can do better on your own, but it's a great factory system. Fully integrated and no hassle outside the extra dough to buy it.

While the RX's ML blows, the ML in my 2GS and GX is sweet as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01-19-09, 06:15 AM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are used to after market systems, subs, amps etc. there is no way a factory install can ever compete with it. There's a reason why it is still such a huge industry. However, having said that, the ML is pretty nice for a factory job. I always wondered why some people rave about their factory systems but realize it is b/c they have probably never xperienced anything but factory.
Old 01-19-09, 07:25 AM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL I'll be glad to lend you my daughter's '04 Explorer w/ the "Premium" sound system to compare it to if you like

In all seriousness, the ML system in the GX is pretty good, especially compared to stock system. It was (IMHO at the time) a worthwhile upgrade in my '04 GX. However, in our 3Gen GS ('07) it was not. As such we chose to go stock. You of course can always do better w/ an aftermarket set up but on a whole, the ML systems are good. Definitely not worth every $ but almost no factory installed option is...

Old 01-19-09, 08:08 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meowmix52
Perhaps it is because I enjoy hip-hop music
Seems you've answered your own question. NO system (factory or aftermarket) can make that stuff sound good
Old 01-19-09, 08:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I think it depends on the type of music being played, and that goes for any sound system. I have heard the Mark Levinson in a GX470 I tested at a dealer not too long ago and classical seems to come out very nice, but when I tried some 70s rock station, it didn't seem any much better than the Nakamichi (which was the Premium sound system) in my RX300.
Old 01-19-09, 08:44 AM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually like the ML system.. kinda pricey though.. FM is always bad in any factory system.
Old 01-19-09, 11:31 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ML system is pretty good. It employs a lot technology under the hood which is perhaps not immediately noticed. Again, as everyone said already - IT'S GREAT FOR STOCK. The problem is not necessarily if the system is great or not, but it stems from the fact that we are all different. We all listen to different music, at different loudness levels, and we hear the tones differently from one another. That's why when you install a kick-a$$ system in the car you tailor it to your listening style and needs. And than don't be surprised to discover that what sounds great to you, sounds awful to others. Unfortunately, stock means stuck with the same "crap" as the rest of us, since it would be impossible for Toyota to tailor their sound system to every customer. So, they have their testing equipment, their pink noise generator, their textbook flat curve response, and so there you are. The perfect text book sound system! But you know what, after all that, it does sound pretty good. But if you need awe$ome, dig into your pocket and go to the best installer in town, there are tons of systems out there that will outperform ML no questions asked. It's only a question of money.......
Old 01-20-09, 06:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, thats the problem, the ML system is not design for rap music. Its a system that produce very clean highs and midlevel, weak on bass. Its almost a crime to play that ghetto music in a system like this.
Old 01-20-09, 07:16 AM
lxus4xms
Driver

Default The Best in the world

The combination of Lexus and the ML stereo system give you the best sound system in the world. The best end of story. Play some classic rock and you will find little highs and lows that you never heard before. The sound is crisp and clean with enough base to re-create the recording the way it was mastered in the studio.

As far as rap goes and the thumping base of the new music. You are better off to buy an old 1988 station wagon put six 15" subs in the back crank it up and blow you ear drums. Don't worry about the ride or the engine you won't feel or hear it anyway.

Do you want to torture me? play some rap. Bruce Willis
Old 01-20-09, 10:34 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, thats the problem, the ML system is not design for rap music. Its a system that produce very clean highs and midlevel, weak on bass. Its almost a crime to play that ghetto music in a system like this.
Thats all I play and it Pumps it out too
No I dont go around with windows down doing drive by blastings----I listen to it while Im driving and enjoying my comfy ride
Old 01-21-09, 04:29 AM
lxus4xms
Driver

Originally Posted by Booyah
Thats all I play and it Pumps it out too
No I dont go around with windows down doing drive by blastings----I listen to it while Im driving and enjoying my comfy ride
Good for you Booyah I say praiseyah. More people who like Rap should take your advise and save some coin in the end
Old 01-21-09, 04:49 AM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

The best part of the ML system is the sound is far better than the space it takes. No amps, no box in the back. Just you and the space you paid for. I've have boom boxes in my trunks since 1987 and though in most cases could blow away the ML sound, the best thing I enjoy is how nice things sound at lower volumes. Call me old, but there really is something to exiting your vehicle and feeling calm without the shock of the sudden change in volume. I didn't realize it was impacting me as much, until I bought the GX.

I listen to everything except mid 90s and newer rap and the system handles it fine, but I did manage to blow out the driver's side front speaker last year!
Old 01-21-09, 06:54 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510
Call me old, but there really is something to exiting your vehicle and feeling calm
Come on now rj4510, there is nothing wrong with listening to rap music and exiting your vehicle and wanting to shoot a cop
Old 01-21-09, 07:31 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Really I listen to all music except Country.....I dont do the "Heavy" rap stuff at all. Some nice Jazz sounds really good too

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson - not THAT great