GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

first post, introducing myself and seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-09 | 08:53 AM
Qx2Gx
Rookie

Default first post, introducing myself and seeking advice

Hey all, this is my first post on the forums though I have been browsing through them for a while now trying to gather information. I don't currently own a Lexus (feel free to flame all you'd like lol) but am planning on getting one soon. I'm a senior in college finishing my last semester and right now I'm driving a 2001 Infiniti Qx4 that I've had throughout college that might end up getting replaced sooner than expected; currently at the dealership getting estimates on suspension repair. Regardless of when it occurs, I plan on my next car being a gx470 (thus the username) and just wanted to get some information on the truck itself...known issues, pros, cons, etc. I'm looking to keep the balance of reliability, luxury and off-road capability as my Qx4 has fulfilled all of those aspects and the GX seems like the logical step up. I'm looking to get a rather new one...between an 05-07; let me know what I can expect to pay and any known issues like I said. I don't intend on getting navi/mark levinson as I have an aftermarket nav deck I just recently installed that I love and I plan on building my own sound system so hopefully that in itself will lower the price a bit. I look forward to everyone's responses. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-09 | 10:13 AM
djzim23
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to Club Lexus! I graduated in May 2008 from college and looked at every vehicle (I lied, but I did test drive around 40 different cars) in the world. You will soon hear about the "thump" TSB all over these boards. The other main TSB problem is the low frequency vibration at highway speed. I would think non-CPO you should be paying under 25k. My 2004 GX ran me just under 21k and it has everything but KDSS.

And for the record, the GX is great off-road. I am in the snowbelt of PA and NY almost every weekend and have been trying to a) get my truck stuck and b) get my truck sideways...and I just can't get it to happen
Old 01-29-09 | 10:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

If y`ou are really going to use the GX for offroad, I would try to find one that have the KDSS option.
Old 01-29-09 | 11:57 AM
cssnms
Racer

Welcome to CL! It's a great truck, having owned my '05 since new. More HP in the '05 - '07 model years. The major issues dj decribed, although the drone is far less problematic then the "CLUNK." If it's a private party sale, make sure to ask the seller if the "CLUNK" TSB was performed and if it's a CPO the dealer should be able to verify. The issue is covered under the powertrain warranty. Outside of that no other problems with mine.

There are plenty of GX's for sale in the DC metro area (if that's where you are), so you should be able to get a pretty good deal, especially in today's economy. Price will all depend on mileage and year, but you will find most GXs for sale already have Nav. Good luck and post pics of your purchase.

C
Old 01-29-09 | 01:51 PM
jolex
Driver School Candidate

We've owned a '02 QX4, and here are some thoughts. The QX4 was a nice looking truck but an uncomfortable ride on the road. My rear end would bottom out over the smallest obstacle. The rear leg room in the QX4 was bad on long trips, I never really cared as I was never back there. The QX4 was also very loud (road noise) compared to the GX, basically you get a smooth, quiet ride with lots of legroom all around. The toyota reliability is legendary and the service at the dealership is top notch. Here are some things about the QX I liked better than the GX: xenon lights, rear heated seats, lots of interior storage locations, conventional trunk with hatch release, lots of HP (240 HP in a much smaller car). Off road the GX is more capable with hill and descent control assist, locking diffs. Anywho hands down the GX is the way superior vehicle and you will be happy with the upgrade (I know I was)!!