GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My new GX

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-09, 07:01 PM
JamesP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new GX

Just purchased a used 06 GX470 with 24,000 miles for $34,000. Blizzard Pearl exterior, tan interior, nav, rear entertainment. Could not find one with KDSS, but since I have 3 kids, I doubt I'll miss it much. Don't take delivery until Monday as they are detailing it. I'm a little upset because this a certified pre-owned, yet they are not replacing the break pads or tires. They stated they were within limits. Before I bought it they touted the benefits of CPO, and that they bring certified pre-owned cars AS CLOSE to new as possible. Oh well, I was to exhausted to argue anymore. FYI - the salesman definitely knew that a redesign was scheduled to hit the showroom floor this winter. I can't afford a new one anyway, so I'm happy with my purchase. Thanks for the advise I got beforehand.
Attached Thumbnails My new GX-img_0141.jpg  

Last edited by JamesP; 02-10-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added pics - not great - took them with my iPhone on a cloudy day.
Old 02-07-09, 10:15 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

...and just in time for more winter driving! Nice purchase especially with the low miles.

With respect to your brakes and tires comment, double check how the CPO info on lexus.com addresses them. If the dealer isn't holding up their end, you'll know. I don't know the answer.

Last edited by Johnny Rad; 02-10-09 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 06:49 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey alright, welcome to the CLUB! There's nothing better then pulling up to the dealership and seeing your new baby sitting there all detailed just waiting for you to take her home - Oh the memories, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it...

I would be less concerned about the tires unless they look really worn. If they are the Cross Terrains they come with a 60k mi warranty - great tires btw. I've got 40k on mine and they still look new. As for the brakes, I can't believe Lexus would not replace the pads with 24k miles on the truck! I would not take this lying down. You probably have another 10k to go before they will have to be replaced. - Had mine done at 34k. As Johnny said, check the CPO req on Lexus's website. And before you take delivery I would push the dealer much harder to change them because it's not cheap to have your rotors resurfaced/replaced and brake pads changed. Who wants to spend $34k on a truck only to come back in 10 months later to drop another $1000+ on it. The deal is not done until you take delivery, so ask to talk with the GM about it and let him think you are ready to walk away. Good luck.
Old 02-09-09, 07:35 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep get those brakes done! Its not sold till you sign papers and you can tell themNew brakes alll around or NO DEAL and start to walk
Old 02-09-09, 07:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There is not re-design GX coming this winter. lexus is talking about a re-design in 2011 if it is still on schedule. As far as brakes and tires are concerned, it is consider wear and tear items. If it is within specs, they will not replace it. Of course you can demand a replacement as a condition of the sale, but it is a cost to the dealer that has to come from somewhere.
Old 02-09-09, 10:49 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Blizzard Pearl is the rare find and it looks amazing.
Good luck.
Old 02-09-09, 11:55 AM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
Who wants to spend $34k on a truck only to come back in 10 months later to drop another $1000+ on it. The deal is not done until you take delivery, so ask to talk with the GM about it and let him think you are ready to walk away. Good luck.
Come on guys, my brakes went 45K miles and rears are still stock at 64k miles, front service cost $310.....

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Blizzard Pearl is the rare find and it looks amazing.
Good luck.
Really, I though this was the white and it is as common as ashe blue or silver, many around here....

BTW congrats on that super deal !@!
Old 02-09-09, 04:41 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Come on guys, my brakes went 45K miles and rears are still stock at 64k miles, front service cost $310.....:
For this member's benefit let's not downplay the exposure he is facing based on your one-off experience. Based on my own experience and my discussions with my Lexus SA I would argue your experience is atypical on the GX and without knowing the history of this vehicle I would not insinuate otherwise. It all depends on your daily driving habits. I've owned my GX since new, I do not drive my truck hard nor do I tow and with mostly city driving I got 34k out of my front pads had a little room to go on the back but had them done anyway. Secondly my rear rotors also required replacement/resurfaced due to the fact they were warped - I chose replacement, so there goes your $300 brake job even if you choose to have them turned. Lexus wants $800+ per axle for rotors and pads, Toyota wants $575 per axle. SO unless lexus will warranty the brakes up to 65k mi I would be inclined to ask for new brakes.
Old 02-09-09, 06:39 PM
JamesP
Driver School Candidate

I've gotten over it due to the fact that I'm probably not going to win the argument with them. I've based this off the website for CPO and the description of what they do. I still have about 1 year left on the original warranty before the extended warranty kicks in. I'm hoping to have them replaced before then. Not to change the subject, can anyone help with with the Lockpick1? Have you installed it? And does it really have an aux port for an iPod? Thanks - James
Old 02-10-09, 07:26 AM
naimyGX470
Driver School Candidate

same thing happened to me i bought my GX in November 2008 and when i was buying the car i saw that the tires were down to the tread bars and the brakes were not replaced. personally i think that all certified pre-owned cars should have brand new tires and brakes your pretty much buying a new car. i think that Lexus should change there rules because we are paying for the cars and they should give us the best!!!!!!
Old 02-10-09, 05:03 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice welcome to the club. Got mine CPO and never even thought about the brakes.
Old 02-14-09, 04:25 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesP
I still have about 1 year left on the original warranty before the extended warranty kicks in. I'm hoping to have them replaced before then. Not to change the subject, can anyone help with with the Lockpick1? Have you installed it? And does it really have an aux port for an iPod? Thanks - James
warranty does not cover wear and tear, if you could have argued for new brakes at time of purchase, that would have been ideal, but they are a wear and tear item and warranty will not cover them (typically)
Old 02-14-09, 05:26 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice James. Congrats!