GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Raced a Jag tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-09 | 06:42 PM
cssnms
Racer

Default Raced a Jag tonight...

Yeah you read right! (disclaimer) So let me first say I don't condone this type of behavior. Racing is bad, very bad, so don't try this at home. Like I tell my son; "Don't do as I do, do as I say."

Anyway, so we were coming home from dinner tonight and this guy flies past me in his new Jag XJ. WAIT, let me back up a sec and set this up... We are driving on a 6 lane road with a speed limit of 50 mph, it's a little wet out, cause it was snowing tonight (bout time!), but no ice, or snow accumulation cause temps are hovering around 36 degrees and there are not many cars on the road. Okay, back to the story... So as I was saying, this guy flies by me on my left in his Jag, then I look in the other mirror and notice that a boy boxer Mitsu Lancer is coming up fast on my right, obviously they are screwing around and they both blow by me. As we approach a stop light it turns red and I end up right in between them, much to their dismay since they can't really see each other. I see them scrooching up to look at each other. I look at the wife and she smiles at me as if to say, "go ahead honey, you've earned the right to be childish tonight." So, I laugh turn my head to look straight ahead waiting for the light to change.... Then, it turns GREEN! I stomp it and blast by both of them pulling away up to about 40, by the time I hit 45 mph they were both 2 car lengths behind me, but as I hit 50 the jag is coming up fast and before I knew it he walked me and I let off the gas at that point. The Lancer was no where to be found. IT WAS GREAT, the GX did me proud tonight! The guy driving the Mitsu will probably be visiting a Lexus dealership tomorrow. HAHAHA

Okay, now let's get back to more serious things, like HIDs, and other mods...

Last edited by cssnms; 03-02-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-01-09 | 07:45 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

whatda you get like 4 mpg....
Old 03-01-09 | 09:08 PM
VIP_ES300
Lexus Test Driver

funny story...i leterally loled!
Old 03-02-09 | 12:07 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

LOL, I like the description where the two were trying to look at each other at the stop light. It's very visual.

Last edited by sam430; 03-02-09 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-02-09 | 06:08 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by sam430
you forgot the something there. No, I'm not the spelling police...it's just this one needs correction.:
FIXED, thanks. My wife needed the computer and was breathing down my neck as I was typing. I felt very pressured I tell you, VERY pressured!!!
Old 03-02-09 | 07:41 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I once raced a Dodge Ram in an '06 GX and spanked him. He pulled up next to me at the light and was inching forward with his windows down looking over at me and revving his engine, so once it turned green I pretty much blew his doors off.

Not that anyone should buy a GX for racing, but this motor certainly has enough low end torque to really get you moving pretty quickly when needed.

Sounds like you had fun with the Jag and Mitsu!
Old 03-02-09 | 01:30 PM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by werewolf
whatda you get like 4 mpg....
6! But who is counting!
Old 03-02-09 | 11:42 PM
Drift King
Rookie

Good story... Street Racing = Bad Winning = Priceless
Old 03-03-09 | 07:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Did these guys know they were racing you? I bet they didnt even take you seriously.

The GX does 0-60 in about 8 seconds, many 4 cylinders can beat that time.
Old 03-03-09 | 08:50 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

But it feels fast..lol

I raced my boss in his 08 BMW X3 and took him to 90 and I had a car lead all the way, and yes he knew we were on.

Now if I was in my 335XI, there would have been multiple car lengths by 90---this car is hella-fast
Old 03-03-09 | 11:05 AM
cssnms
Racer

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did these guys know they were racing you? I bet they didnt even take you seriously.
Why would they??? They were to busy inching up on one another to see who could get the jump.

Originally Posted by The G Man
The GX does 0-60 in about 8 seconds, many 4 cylinders can beat that time.
There's always someone looking to take the air of someone else's balloon.

Your comment certainly explains why the Jag walked me at 50 mph, but as I am sure you can appreciate this post was not started to get into a 0-60 statistical debate or to claim that the GX is some kind of speed wagon.

Secondly, I never claimed to be the victor in a 0-60 street race, to the contrary, I said the GX took both cars off the line up until the Jag passed me at 50 mph, which makes sense since it is statistically an all around faster car.

Furthermore, 0-60 times do not necessarily translate into faster 0-30-40 times just as they do not necessarily translate into faster 1/4 mi times. With a first and second gear ratio of 3.52:1 and 2.04:11 respectively coupled with the GX's torque, this truck will arguably take most non-turbo 4 cylinders and many V-6 sedans 0-30. The GX times are greatly impacted by the mid/top end gears, but we need the higher gears in order to get that remarkable 18/19mpg highway. As an example, the 2009 Nissan Maxima with 290 hp will hit 60 mph in 6.1 seconds. However, its' 0-30 time is 2.6 sec as compared to the GX at 2.52 sec, so one can conclude that the GX will take the Maxima off the line up past 30 mph and essentially be neck and neck until almost 40 mph. Therefore, arguably the GX is a pretty quick truck off the line.

Oh and one last point... Full-time four-wheel drive on wet roads also helps!
Old 03-04-09 | 08:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

cssnms, didnt mean to burst your bubble Its always healthy to have a little fun once a while.
Old 03-04-09 | 02:15 PM
Salvator
Driver

Years ago, I revved my 50HP 1967 VW Beetle engine at a Porsche 911 while at a stop light... to my surprise, he accelerated somewhat normally in 1st gear, but then punched it in second... leaving me hopelessly behind (I didn't even try, I just wanted to see what his response would be...) He got caught at the next light, so as I slowly rolled up, I started revving my engine again... one would have thought at this point, he would have just looked over and told me where to stuff it, but no, he did the same thing again! Crazy or insecure, you make the call!
Old 03-05-09 | 06:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

When I was 15 years old, I had a 35 hp moped. I came up to a red light and a Honda motorcycle, maybe a 500 cc or something like that, pull up next to me. I rev my 35 hp engine to max rpm and let it rip at the green light. For some reason, he didnt take me seriously and just slowly kept pace with me. I wonder why ???
Old 03-05-09 | 06:19 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

LOL....I love these stories...don't have any to share with my GX but I did race a camero with my Supra when I was in high school. Came up to a light where the camero was and a second later we both started reving engines, took off we both made it to 3rd gear neck and neck when I started to pull away we both saw a cop sitting in a parking lot a head. Slowed down as fast as I could without slamming the brakes and made a detour turn sceneic route to my destination. The camero did like wise in the opposite direction. 1 mile down the street the cop catches up and pulls me over and asked me if I was racing I said no (we never passed 50 MPH - so no speeding 45 MPH zone). Cop let me go.

A couple of weeks later, I was at a house party when i noticed the same camero was parked out side. Found out who the guy was and he told me he got pulled over by another cop - no ticket for him either. We both just laughed.

Damn...feeling young = cool, feeling old = old, at least I ride in style now.