GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 09:41 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LZ,

If anybody can do it, it's YOU!

May the Force be with you!
Old 10-15-10, 10:47 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by LZMF1

Capirato, did you do the install or did someone do it for you?
LZ.....

I had it done. I knew you were going to have a problem with the wiring, as my installer is a pro and it took him a while to do.

~ Cap
Old 10-15-10, 11:22 PM
Capirato
Racer

Originally Posted by redrocks
Red.....

That DIY is for an IS or a GS, not a GX. The installation is a piece of cake compared to a GX.

~ Cap
Old 10-16-10, 04:00 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Capirato
Red.....

That DIY is for an IS or a GS, not a GX. The installation is a piece of cake compared to a GX.

~ Cap
Cap,

Yes, I was thinking (hopeful) that the wiring would be the same for all Lexuses? Guess not.
Old 10-16-10, 03:04 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capirato
Red.....

~ Cap
oddly enough the install is a piece of cake on a GX, it's the wiring that is a pain in the ****!

Originally Posted by redrocks
Cap,

Yes, I was thinking (hopeful) that the wiring would be the same for all Lexuses? Guess not.
if only it were that simple and convenient!!
Old 10-17-10, 02:10 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

update: i got the blinker on the left mirror working! next up is the right one and i'm running out of daylight.

going by what i learned in the links posted previously i took the assemblies for the tail lights off and checked the wires. i found that the positive for the left rear blinker is a medium thickness blue wire with a black stripe and the negative is a thin forest green wire with pairs silver silver dots going the length of the wire.

ok....off to try to do the right side. i've been trying but it's basically trial and error right now. the drivers side one was actually pretty easy once i located the 2 wires that i needed to tap into.
Old 10-17-10, 02:57 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

update: i got the blinker on the left mirror working! next up is the right one and i'm running out of daylight.

going by what i learned in the links posted previously i took the assemblies for the tail lights off and checked the wires. i found that the positive for the left rear blinker is a medium thickness blue wire with a black stripe and the negative is a thin forest green wire with pairs silver silver dots going the length of the wire.

ok....off to try to do the right side. i've been trying but it's basically trial and error right now. the drivers side one was actually pretty easy once i located the 2 wires that i needed to tap into.
Go LZ!! You're the "MOD Man"!!
Old 10-17-10, 04:12 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

so i went back out after dinner...there was still a bit of daylight and as soon as it got dark the headlights turned on and the mirror directional stopped working!!!!

i figured out that i had selected the wrong wire for the negative connection......rather than it being the green wire with pairs of silver dots it is a medium thickness green wire with a yellow stripe for the negative! i used this one for both directionals and it works perfectly now!!! oh yeah....the positive wire to tap into for the right blinker is medium thickness like the other two it is blue and it has a yellow stripe.

now i just have to figure out which wires to tap into for the courtesy/puddle lights and i'm done with mods until something else catches my eye
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror-l-and-r-directional-wiring..jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-17-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 06:15 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

disregard my last statement. the positives are correct but the negative for the blinkers is thicker than the positive wires. it is white with a black stripe. i figured this out by going for a short drive and everytime i approached a turn i'd put my blinker on but the second i applied the brakes......no mirror directional! i got annoyed and went home to troubleshoot again! this time i put a weight on the brakes and left the lights on. then with my meter i tested the pins on the connector for the rear driver side tail light and figured it out! WOO F'N HOOOOOOO!

just uploaded a pic showing the thick white wire w/black stripe that i tapped for the negative. it's tough to tell but the wire is directly below the thick yellow wire with a red stripe that is pointing to the left. the wire is coming from the center of the vehicle and is located closer to where the seat adjustment controls are.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror-negative-wire-tap-for-leds_resize.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-17-10 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 07:29 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

i finally got the puddle lights on. i did it the same way i did the directionals....basically i got under the vehicle and in the center of the step there is a connector that supplies the step lights. there you will find the positive and negative for the steps. i think the + was a thin red wire with a blue stripe and the negative was a thin red wire with pairs of silver dots.

eventually i'll produce a DIY and post it here.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror-puddles.jpg  

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-18-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-18-10, 08:55 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Alright LZ!! You came through! Congrats on making the Mod work! You're the MOD Man!
Old 10-18-10, 10:26 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

all in all it was pretty easy to do.....it's just figuring out which wires to tap into that made it difficult plus those pesky pins!!

short youtube vid showing the LED mirrors in action. it's only 24 seconds long

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-18-10 at 02:45 PM. Reason: for your viewing pleasure!
Old 10-18-10, 03:53 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

all in all it was pretty easy to do.....it's just figuring out which wires to tap into that made it difficult plus those pesky pins!!

short youtube vid showing the LED mirrors in action. it's only 24 seconds long
Looks Awesome! Great job, MOD Man!
Old 10-18-10, 03:58 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

so now that i figured out what wires to tap into who else is going to order a set?

don't worry, i'll post a DIY eventually but all the info you need is right here in this thread.

pretty lame for my 1st youtube vid......especially the "ta da!!" at the end but it shows that i successfully installed them.

Last edited by LZMF1; 10-18-10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-18-10, 04:11 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I like how the LED on the puddle lamp lights up in that sweeping motion! Good job and looks great.

Quick Reply: Lexus GX470 LED Turn Signal Mirror