GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Aftermarket iPod Integration

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 06:32 PM
Nixlimited
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket iPod Integration

I just picked up a 2005 GX from a friend and one of my first orders of business is to try and get an iPod hook-up. After a quick google search, I came up with this company, VAIS (http://www.vaistech.com/), that looks to have nice plug-n-play solutions. Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-14-09, 03:50 AM
pickle
Rookie

This has been discussed several times in this forum. Do a search, and you will find that most CL members have the Vaistec System in their GX. I do as well, and it is a fantastic unit. You won't be disappointed. I have never had another option to compare it to, other than the tape deck adapter and a RF transmitter. This is in a class of it's own compared to those.

Added bonus, It can be programed to automaticly press the "I Agree" button on the nav system that has to be acknowledged at every start-up.
Old 03-14-09, 08:56 PM
Nixlimited
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pickle
This has been discussed several times in this forum. Do a search, and you will find that most CL members have the Vaistec System in their GX. I do as well, and it is a fantastic unit. You won't be disappointed. I have never had another option to compare it to, other than the tape deck adapter and a RF transmitter. This is in a class of it's own compared to those.

Added bonus, It can be programed to automaticly press the "I Agree" button on the nav system that has to be acknowledged at every start-up.
Nice. Which specific unit do you have and where do you have the cord coming out? I would like to be able to use it both as a hideaway ipod connection and as a iPhone charger/music connection.
Old 03-15-09, 04:22 AM
pickle
Rookie

I have the SLR1 modle I believe. It was installed by the Lexus Dealer on my request prior to taking delivery of the vehicle. (included). They were unaware that the system could be programed to overide the I agree button, so I did that myself. It is a 3 minute job that is done by toggling and electronic on off button within the system through the navigation screen.

The conector is routed to exit in the glove compartment, so the Ipod stays out of sight. and charges the ipod as well. I have a nano which stays in the truck all the time, so it is more like a hard drive for music, which I remove only to add songs to.
Old 03-16-09, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the ipod function have a motion lockout like the Nav?
Old 03-16-09, 10:07 AM
pickle
Rookie

No lockout with use of steering wheel controls, or dashboard controls, but you can't use the Ipod scroll wheel etc. on the ipod itself when it is hooked to the device. I comes up on the ipod screen "vaistech" and that is all.
Old 03-23-09, 09:08 AM
Nixlimited
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pickle
I have the SLR1 modle I believe. It was installed by the Lexus Dealer on my request prior to taking delivery of the vehicle. (included). They were unaware that the system could be programed to overide the I agree button, so I did that myself. It is a 3 minute job that is done by toggling and electronic on off button within the system through the navigation screen.

The conector is routed to exit in the glove compartment, so the Ipod stays out of sight. and charges the ipod as well. I have a nano which stays in the truck all the time, so it is more like a hard drive for music, which I remove only to add songs to.
I guess with the use of the bluetooth phone connection, I could use the glove compartment connection only when necessary to charge my phone. I have also thought about having it come out in the rear/closing cupholder compartment
Old 04-03-09, 10:19 PM
pjarvis
Rookie

Default DVD on front screen

I read a thread a year and a half ago about a company in SO Cal that did this
along with the ipod{on Beach Blvd.** Anyone have the that #?
Old 04-03-09, 11:07 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

search maybe