GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

A few questions that need some answers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-09, 07:11 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile A few questions that need some answers!!!

It has been a week today since i purchased my 2004 gx 470 and i have a few questions.

1) the Nav works great but the "I agree" first window is getting played out. Is there a way to get rid of the I agree every time i start the truck. Not sure if doing an update would resolve it.

2) I spoke to the lexus dealer and they are telling me the oil they use on my truck when they change the oil is Castrol non synthetic. I do my own maintenance and should i continue with castrol or not?

3) Need brakes.......I like to go with a crossed drilled or slotted rotors but not sure if this is recommended or not. This is a family truck but if i can mod it a little bit to help out i never really minded. What vendor or at least waht brand of rotors and pads do people recommend??????

Thanks in advance for alll the help!!1
Old 04-30-09, 07:37 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Vin93GMC
2) I spoke to the lexus dealer and they are telling me the oil they use on my truck when they change the oil is Castrol non synthetic. I do my own maintenance and should i continue with castrol or not?
It's a personal preferance as well an economic decision. It won't hurt your truck to change brands/type. At the end of the day Sythetic is better than conventional and you can go for longer periods between changes with Sythetic.

3) Need brakes.......I like to go with a crossed drilled or slotted rotors but not sure if this is recommended or not. This is a family truck but if i can mod it a little bit to help out i never really minded. What vendor or at least waht brand of rotors and pads do people recommend??????:
Before making the plunge, do a "search" here regarding brakes there's is some VERY useful information/links you should check out.

Why you are looking at cross drilled or slotted rotors for a GX??? Looks? Improved performance while towing heavy loads? With today's braking materials, there is no benefit to cross drilled rotors other then they look cool. The holes create weakness in the rotor and they are more prone to cracking (ask some IS-F owners). Slotted will help to dissipate the heat better, especially if you plan to tow heavy loads offering improved performance/less brake fade. If you plan to utilize your truck primarily as a grocery getter and getting to and from work, save yourself some money and stick with blanks.
Old 04-30-09, 07:51 AM
Vinniety
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
It's a personal preferance as well an economic decision. It won't hurt your truck to change brands/type. At the end of the day Sythetic is better than conventional and you can go for longer periods between changes with Sythetic.

Before making the plunge, do a "search" here regarding brakes there's is some VERY useful information/links you should check out.

Why you are looking at cross drilled or slotted rotors for a GX??? Looks? Improved performance while towing heavy loads? With today's braking materials, there is no benefit to cross drilled rotors other then they look cool. The holes create weakness in the rotor and they are more prone to cracking (ask some IS-F owners). Slotted will help to dissipate the heat better, especially if you plan to tow heavy loads offering improved performance/less brake fade. If you plan to utilize your truck primarily as a grocery getter and getting to and from work, save yourself some money and stick with blanks.
CSS - thanks so much for the reply. I have been in the car industry for some time now but never a lexusGX owner. The rx330 my wife had before was a lease so nothing more then an oil change is what i ever did to it. Im the type of person if im doing something to my cars i prefer to do it the best i can and do it once. The vehicle will be used for long drives and trips. More then that it will be her car for the normal routine things, grocery shopping, bringing kids to school etc....

I have done a few brake jobs on vehicles i have owned and i always ask the forums what brand they recommend before i do it. I would like to go at least slotted with hawk pads but again just a thought. The dealer prices are to much just for the rotors alone they are crazy. What brand will be the same as using the stock?

I will use the search and see what i find but i notice not much from the gx470 owners...

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-09, 08:20 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Check prices at your local Toyota dealer too. Toyota prices are substantially less. The waiting room isn't as nice and the coffee isn't free, but you will save 30%-40% over Lexus for the same parts/labor. Call Sewell and or Carson Toyota for prices on parts if you plan to do the job yourself or have a garage do it, they are both CL sponsors/venders. They are the same rotors as the 4-runner v-8.

There are a lot of OEM "like" repalcements out there, but if you plan to buy something other than Toyota do your research and stick with a reputable brand. Give Tire Rack a look they carry slotted, and OEM "like" blanks. There are members on here that have various after market rotors/pads that can chime in on their expriences. I can't tell you what the composition differences are between the OEM knock-offs and OEM rotors, but I know the quality of steel can vary greatly depending on where they were manufactured. Through personal experience, I am a true believer in you get what you pay for. Good luck!
Old 04-30-09, 09:09 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Hello,
As far as synthetic yes, I would only use synthetic oil. As far as Castrol, no. I would not use castrol, thats my personal opinion. I heard that Castrol uses recycled oil. My personal preferences is Mobil one. I use on all my vehicles. You can check Costco. Sometimes they have great prices on Mobil. I always use 10w-30. As far as oil filter I would use original its around $10.

Rotors I would use original. Brake pads too. I put brembo brake pads, and rotors on my GS430, and they throw a lot of DUST. They cost twice more then original, and they work exactly the same. I didnt feel andy difference.
Old 05-01-09, 10:11 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has been a week today since i purchased my 2004 gx 470 and i have a few questions.

1) the Nav works great but the "I agree" first window is getting played out. Is there a way to get rid of the I agree every time i start the truck. Not sure if doing an update would resolve it.
The Vaistech ipod / sat radio adapters can automatically "push" the I agree button 5 seconds after starting the truck.

I have one and love it.
Old 05-01-09, 12:30 PM
Got4wd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Hello,
As far as synthetic yes, I would only use synthetic oil. As far as Castrol, no. I would not use castrol, thats my personal opinion. I heard that Castrol uses recycled oil. My personal preferences is Mobil one. I use on all my vehicles. You can check Costco. Sometimes they have great prices on Mobil. I always use 10w-30. As far as oil filter I would use original its around $10.

Rotors I would use original. Brake pads too. I put brembo brake pads, and rotors on my GS430, and they throw a lot of DUST. They cost twice more then original, and they work exactly the same. I didnt feel andy difference.
What about Brembo rotors and stock brakes for the dust. I don't think the stock rotors are worth a crap. They seem to warp all the time.
Old 05-01-09, 01:21 PM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Got4wd
What about Brembo rotors and stock brakes for the dust. I don't think the stock rotors are worth a crap. They seem to warp all the time.

Yes I heard the cases where people had warp rotors. I never had warp rotors. I just dont like brembo brake pads because they are very expensive and dust all over the wheels. But brembo rotors with stock brake pads will work just fine. I have this set up on y GS and I am extremly happy.
Old 05-01-09, 02:44 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Hello,
I also use Mobil 1 oil, but only because my father-in-laws shop only carries Mobil 1.

As far as the filter, Toyota filters are great, but you need to remember that they were biullt for use with conventional motor oil, not the synthetic. It would not make any difference if you change your synthetic oil every 5000 miles. But then you are paying twice for the oil without getting any benefit.

However, if you actually take full advantage of the synthtic oil capabilities and run it LONGER between the oil changes (compared to conventional oil), then you have the filter that is being used for much longer then it was intended for.

With that in mind, I also use Mobil 1 oil filter that was specifically designed with sysnthetic oil and extended driving ranges in mind.

Oh, yeah, congratulations on your purchase!!!
Old 05-02-09, 03:51 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Same here Mobil 1 and for the ATF is the Toyota WS and the brake pads I was using the OEM for last 6 months, A definite advantage over the OEM is the ceramic brake pads and I've picked the AKEBONO for 70$ a pair. My LS400 has been using it for the last 2 years and 6 months and still in absoutely good shape. No dust and perfect braking at all conditions. I am planning to Drill for the front Rotors Disc , in another 2 months. will let you'll know the outcome, Currently designing the template for the drill bit. My collegeau has done it for his yukon, amazing difference for the normal to the drilled rotor brake performance.