GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 09:22 AM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmarshack
now go get it dirty!!!

Ok, tell me more about that exhaust!!!

Are there any options out there, or does it have be custom? I've had muffler shops throw things together for me in the past, but it's always easier if you have something to start with vs having them do all the bends, etc.
Old 07-01-09, 09:39 AM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrVolkl
Ok, tell me more about that exhaust!!!

Are there any options out there, or does it have be custom? I've had muffler shops throw things together for me in the past, but it's always easier if you have something to start with vs having them do all the bends, etc.
The search function can be very helpful...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...custom+exhaust
Old 07-03-09, 10:42 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cmarshack
now go get it dirty!!!

Where did you take this picture? I would like to go for offroad too, but not sure where.
Old 07-10-09, 06:01 PM
mocheen
Rookie

I can't really hear them at all.... and living in Seattle, I would say that 95% of the time in the summer I drive with the AC off and windows down.

My former tires were (what I believe) are stock Michelin XXX whatever. (I can't remember the name... road handler? sleep comfort? shamwow?)

It does ride harsher now however... you feel the bumps a bit more. That's the only drawback. It feels more like a truck.

I HIGHLY recommend these tires, the close up pics should give anyone the info they need. Again, just simple Discount Tire setup.

If I don't like something, I get rid of it. I don't think I've ever written a review on a tire, but I did for these on the Lexus. If they fail me this winter, I'll for let everyone know for sure. Just looking at them, I can't imagine that they would.

Here's my "other ride"... so yeah, I'm picky when it comes to aftermarket parts.

The black rims make the GX look really aggressive! I like the new look. I saw pics of a GX on here with BBS wheels that would look nice in blac as well. BTW is your NSX supercharged? I was guessing the license plate stood for NSX supercharged! I rode in a Comptech supercharged NSX and it was one fast car. I like the way the NSX looks as well. Do you have any pics of the cars together? Here is a pic of the 4Runners and my M3. The M3 is modded and so is the ML. The GX is basically stock except for the Weathertech mats. I am installing the HID lights this weekend. Getting ready for a drive down to Los Angeles. The GX is very comfortable on long road trips.
Attached Thumbnails My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup-4runners.jpg   My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup-m3.jpg  

Last edited by mocheen; 07-10-09 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-15-09, 02:11 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
Where did you take this picture? I would like to go for offroad too, but not sure where.
It's in Big Bear Lake CA. There are a lot of great off road trails up there...here is a map of the area:

Old 07-15-09, 04:03 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Originally Posted by mocheen
The black rims make the GX look really aggressive! I like the new look. I saw pics of a GX on here with BBS wheels that would look nice in blac as well. BTW is your NSX supercharged? I was guessing the license plate stood for NSX supercharged! I rode in a Comptech supercharged NSX and it was one fast car. I like the way the NSX looks as well. Do you have any pics of the cars together? Here is a pic of the 4Runners and my M3. The M3 is modded and so is the ML. The GX is basically stock except for the Weathertech mats. I am installing the HID lights this weekend. Getting ready for a drive down to Los Angeles. The GX is very comfortable on long road trips.
Yeah, it's Sc'd. I'll take pics of both of them together when my new rims come in. Should be cool. Great looking M3 btw.

Hope to get out around Rainier this weekend, but the wife is due pretty soon, don't want to be stuck out there.....
Old 07-25-09, 02:55 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't really hear them at all.... and living in Seattle, I would say that 95% of the time in the summer I drive with the AC off and windows down.

My former tires were (what I believe) are stock Michelin XXX whatever. (I can't remember the name... road handler? sleep comfort? shamwow?)

It does ride harsher now however... you feel the bumps a bit more. That's the only drawback. It feels more like a truck.

I HIGHLY recommend these tires, the close up pics should give anyone the info they need. Again, just simple Discount Tire setup.

If I don't like something, I get rid of it. I don't think I've ever written a review on a tire, but I did for these on the Lexus. If they fail me this winter, I'll for let everyone know for sure. Just looking at them, I can't imagine that they would.

Here's my "other ride"... so yeah, I'm picky when it comes to aftermarket parts.

Love your NSX! That car is timeless.
Old 11-08-09, 04:55 PM
DrVolkl
Rookie

Finally got pics of them together. I have my black n blue theme going on both cars now.

Old 11-09-09, 08:16 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Both cars look great. I like NSX alot.
Old 05-16-10, 08:28 AM
BonnerBB
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

How much did those Nittos change your ride in the GX?

Be honest please...
Old 05-19-10, 11:39 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

ha, I like how you did the NSX black/blue rims and the gx blue/black rims...

That'll get you some looks if you tow the NSX with the GX.

Those are 2 good looking cars you have.
Old 08-01-10, 07:03 PM
cdew002
Pole Position

Nice ride(s). Who makes that bull bar? I love how low profile it looks. With mine being Silver Pine, though, not sure if the black would work better than chrome. Definitely love the black on blue!
Old 08-26-10, 01:37 PM
Lojak
Driver School Candidate

Both rides look good! As for the GX wheels do you remember the backspacing and offset? I am looking to replace my factory wheels also.
Old 04-06-14, 03:39 PM
astanek
Driver School Candidate

Default Looking to get new tires, want a more aggressive/off-road look,

Truck is not lifted...your basic stock Gx470. When they test fitted the rims they said it rubbed a little at full lock on the front inside fender well plastic. They showed me in the parking lot but it looked like it barely touched. I haven't been able to replicate this driving around today (as in, I haven't heard any buzzing noises as I have experienced tire rub before)... not sure if the truck settled more now and it clears fine or not. It was VERY close, I don't think it will ever be a problem. If it does rub at some point, I imagine the tires or the plastic will wear out and create their own clearance within seconds of contact.... I mean, we're talking barely rubbing at full lock. They also said that they had a little trouble getting the rims on because of the control arms or sways or something... I have no idea what that means or what they were talking about. All I know is that is all fits now... lol

This is Discount Tire... nothing fancy. The whole setup cost ~$1500 or so.

Remember these are 285 x 18 tires... I chose the Nitto Terra Grappler because I heard (read the reviews) they perform great in winter/dirt but aren't noisy. So far, they're great. I was going 70mph on the highway on the way home and there was no extra tire noise. I usually drive with windows open, so trust me, I'd be able to hear it.

The rims are 18x8.5 I believe.

The truck rides a little stiffer... the stock goodyears are definitely softer and soak up the bumps better. I could feel the uneven pavement for the first time in the GX.. not bad... just felt it.. This is the same road that just about knocks my teeth out in the NSX. So, yeah, I gave up a little ride comfort.

No comment on gas mileage yet since I've literally had them on for half a day. I can't imagine it will get better. lol These things look WAY wider than stock....

The truck itself just feels more planted...but I also think it feels "heavier". This of course could just be psychological since I know I know have these massive black wheels where the stock ones used to be.
I was just at Les Schwabs Tire Center the other day, looking at tires, and they were trying to tell me that i couldn't fit a 285 on my GX470 because there isn't enough clearance. However, i see you were able to do it. By the way, they look awesome! I have one question though.. what is the exact size of the tires you have again? You mentioned they were a 285x18, but how tall are they? 60,65,70,75? Let me know, because i would love to step it up a notch from the original 265/65/17.
Thanks again,
-Aaron
Old 04-07-14, 06:08 AM
ChiTownGX
Rookie

Did you have to buy all new tire pressure sensors? Was that included in the $1500?

Quick Reply: My Nat Blue GX470.. not your typical setup