GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Brake pads -- @ what mileage, and what brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-09, 04:49 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake pads -- @ what mileage, and what brand?

I think I'm getting close to needing to replace the pads on our GX. A few questions for anyone who's done it:
- how many miles did you get out of your pads?
- did you replace the rotors @ the same time?
- if you used a different brand (than toyota/oem), I'd be interested in your thoughts on the performance.

Thanks,
Scott.
Old 06-29-09, 06:38 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

38k with a few thousand miles left on them, but decided to it anyway because my rear rotors had runout bad, as did my front rotors.

Tried ATE pads, didn't like them went back to OEM. Also tested the slotted ATE rotors on the rear, they did not hold up, then switched to Power Slot Cryo rotors, they did not hold up, went back to OEM rear and OEM on the front and no problems.
Old 06-29-09, 07:43 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
38k with a few thousand miles left on them, but decided to it anyway because my rear rotors had runout bad, as did my front rotors.

Tried ATE pads, didn't like them went back to OEM. Also tested the slotted ATE rotors on the rear, they did not hold up, then switched to Power Slot Cryo rotors, they did not hold up, went back to OEM rear and OEM on the front and no problems.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks!
Do you have a good online source for the parts? I think we share brakes w/the tr4-sport, but I'm not sure enough to head down that path... I just looked up a few rotors online (aftermarket) and they list the same part number for the GX and T4r-sport front brake discs, fwiw.

Finally, were they pretty straightforward to replace?

Thanks.

Last edited by stiles_s; 06-29-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-30-09, 06:50 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

From now on I go straight to the dealer (Toyota or Lexus). Fortunately for me, I have 6 or 7 Toyota dealers and several Lexus dealers within an easy drive, so I can shop around by phone. The GX uses the same rotors as the 4-runner. It's not that I don't have the desire, but I just don't have the time anymore to do my own brake work and for the $100per axle that a local mechanic initially charged it was worth it to pay someone else to do it.

All that being said, what I learned from this experience and my pursuit to save a couple of hundred $ trying to find an aftermarket rotor that was less expensive and would better withstand the heat generated by the GX under braking and by paying a local mechanic to install them is, at the end of the day when the aftermarket rotors developed run-out after a few weeks of use, I was stuck holding the bag in both cases (ATE and Power Slot). Well, let me clarify, the dealer reluctantly gave me a prorated credit for the ATE rotors to apply against the PowerSlots and did not charge me shipping. However, I had to once again pay to have the new rotors installed. Well no sooner after did the back left PowerSlot develop run-out and the dealer at that point said there was nothing they could do and that the parts are not covered under warranty once they are installed, so that leaves me with buying new OEM rotors and paying the dealer to install them (working on the 3rd set here).

I have not found an aftermarket dealer that will warranty their rotors from run-out after they have been installed and even if they do, you still have to either pay someone to reinstall the replacements or do it yourself. What happens is the dealer you purchased the parts from ends up blaming you or the mechanic that installed them. On the other hand the mechanic blames the problem on defective/cheap rotors, which brings me back to the reason why I went back to OEM parts, installed by an OEM dealer... Although I believe the rotors are undersized for the GX and they did not hold up as well as they should have, the performance was pretty good. Additionally, the dealer that installed them offers a 1 warranty on the parts and labor, so if there is ever a problem within that period there is no b.s. to put up with or the multiple phone calls to the parts dealer that you purchased the rotors from trying to explain/plead your case.

Unfortunately there is not a large market for aftermarket performance products for the GX, so our choices of products are somewhat limited. Even if you find a product that sounds decent or has a name behind it finding owners that have tested the product can even be more challenging. However, as you pointed out, since we share components with the 4-runner which undoubtedly has a larger aftermarket parts bin to choose from you might be better off posting on the 4-runner owners forum for advice.

My unsolicited advice is; if you plan to pay someone (dealer or a private shop) to install them, make sure to buy your rotors from them and that they will warranty the parts and labor.