GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Windshield chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I use JN Phillips a couple of them and never have any issues. Did they put PPG glass on?
Old 08-13-09, 09:39 AM
gsobol
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On the side note, does anyone know what options are available for the PPG glass. I know there is an acoustic layer option, how about UV, others? I went with the original OEM replacement last time, I would like to try the PPG this time and just want to know what to ask for.
Old 08-13-09, 11:30 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I use JN Phillips a couple of them and never have any issues. Did they put PPG glass on?
Just got off the phone with my insurance company and they're having JN Phillips call me. They said they're willing to pay for a Lexus OEM windshield if that's what it takes to make it right. I checked the brand name of the windshield they installed (twice) and its "FY"... FY (Fuyao Glass Co.) is out of Shanghai, China. Did an online search for them and found others complaining about them on a BMW forum.

My insurance company says that JN Phillips isn't an authorized dealer/distributor for PPG Glass.
Old 08-13-09, 02:07 PM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"FY (Fuyao Glass Co.) is out of Shanghai, China"

Old 08-13-09, 02:58 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

JN Phillips called back. They're installing a Lexus OEM windshield tomorrow afternoon!
Old 08-14-09, 06:59 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The JN Phillips in my area, Newton MA, uses nothing but PPG glass. I guess they are all independently owned and get their glass from different source.
Old 08-14-09, 07:10 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsobol
On the side note, does anyone know what options are available for the PPG glass. I know there is an acoustic layer option, how about UV, others? I went with the original OEM replacement last time, I would like to try the PPG this time and just want to know what to ask for.
I think all auto glass have a UV coating on them now. PPG is now PGW, Pittsburg glass works. They offer options such as tint strip on top of the windshield, build in antenna, sungate, which is solor control and acoustic layering.
Old 08-14-09, 10:51 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont if you saw this video or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2SSpyqQrk
Old 08-15-09, 07:42 AM
mattcocita
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice vid!

I replaced the glass on my ES with aftermarket a few years ago and had the same optical problems JimsGX described. I couldn't tell what it was at first glance. Fortunately it wasn't in my field of view so I decided to live with it. I thought I was the only one.
Old 08-16-09, 05:26 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

I had mine replaced two days ago. They used a PPG glass this time. Windshield is perfect.
Old 08-18-09, 05:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

PPG is oem glass for a lot of other auto manufacturers.
Old 08-19-09, 10:09 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Default Need to replace windshield in my 2008 IS 350

hey I stumbled across this thread looking for information on replacing my windshield in my 2008 IS 350. I know it's not the same car we're discussing, but I think a lot of the information is relevant

Originally Posted by cmarshack
....I had mine replace last year and it only cost me $100 bucks deductable....
that's how much my deductible is.

Originally Posted by gsobol
...Also, don't get Lexus glass, there are others on this board that recommend PPG with acoustic layer, and others.(as it was pointed out before - Lexus glass is very soft - I have to agree)....
I've heard this too, and for the windshield replacement I have scheduled for this weekend, I have said to use PPG (my other option was LOF?)

Originally Posted by mowmow
My insurance paid $30 extra annually for "Original Equipment" meaning lexus parts and not 3rd party parts
I have this option too - my insurance agent said it was $40-$50 but I was wasn't sure if that was every 6 months or every year. What are thoughts on this? is it worth it?

JimsGX, which glass place did you use in MA. I find safelite to be the worst.
... damn, that's my only option I think with Nationwide

I think all auto glass have a UV coating on them now. PPG is now PGW, Pittsburg glass works. They offer options such as tint strip on top of the windshield, build in antenna, sungate, which is solor control and acoustic layering.
Any thoughts on these add-ons? I'm not sure what my 2008 IS 350 has - according to the Safelite representative, it does not have Acoustic Layering

PPG is oem glass for a lot of other auto manufacturers.
but not Lexus? the safelite lady told me it was. Who makes OEM glass for Lexus? (unless it is Lexus themselves or Toyota)
Old 08-19-09, 11:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Shahryar, some japanese glass company makes the Lexus oem glass. If I were u, I would stay away from safelite. I had 2 bad experience from there, they mess up my trims one time and my windshield wasnt seal right the 2nd time.
Old 08-19-09, 08:11 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Shahryar, some japanese glass company makes the Lexus oem glass. If I were u, I would stay away from safelite. I had 2 bad experience from there, they mess up my trims one time and my windshield wasnt seal right the 2nd time.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll talk to my insurance company and see if I can go w/ someone else except for safelite. I think I might be out of luck in getting OEM glass though