GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Painted my corroded wheels...don't try this at home!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 07:16 PM
not sure
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painted my corroded wheels...don't try this at home!

It was quite the task. 6 hours of prep-time alone. 3 coats of paint stripper, scrape, scra, sc. sanding, wire wheel on drill, etc to get into cubbies. spray off, wipe down, tape tires. a coat of primer, 2.5 coats of paint, 2.5 coats of clear coat and here's the result...overall, probably 10 hours in it. half-way through I wish i'd never started. will never do again. (i'm 37yo and pretty active, i have hamstring tightness and back pain from being bent over so long).

slightly darker than i had hoped from the duplicolor graphite paint made specifically for wheels, but only by a shade or two...plus, NO MORE BUBBLY/PEELING WHEELS!! (until my home paintjob decides to begin peeling, but who knows?!?)

fyi, i also removed the small wheel weights from previous wheel balancing during this time and rotated in a "X" pattern with no ill effects...actually, steering is a wee bit softer now due to more tread up front, but no wandering/shaking, etc.

sorry for the off-centered photo...twas late in the evening so i had to manipulate my iphone's metering system by aiming toward the ground more to lighten the shot.
Attached Thumbnails Painted my corroded wheels...don't try this at home!-wheels.jpg  

Last edited by not sure; 09-23-09 at 08:45 PM. Reason: adding photo
Old 09-24-09, 09:26 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. I briefly (VERY briefly) considered painting mine, but instead fixed them like this:

Old 09-24-09, 08:27 PM
cmarshack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by not sure
It was quite the task. 6 hours of prep-time alone. 3 coats of paint stripper, scrape, scra, sc. sanding, wire wheel on drill, etc to get into cubbies. spray off, wipe down, tape tires. a coat of primer, 2.5 coats of paint, 2.5 coats of clear coat and here's the result...overall, probably 10 hours in it. half-way through I wish i'd never started. will never do again. (i'm 37yo and pretty active, i have hamstring tightness and back pain from being bent over so long).

slightly darker than i had hoped from the duplicolor graphite paint made specifically for wheels, but only by a shade or two...plus, NO MORE BUBBLY/PEELING WHEELS!! (until my home paintjob decides to begin peeling, but who knows?!?)

fyi, i also removed the small wheel weights from previous wheel balancing during this time and rotated in a "X" pattern with no ill effects...actually, steering is a wee bit softer now due to more tread up front, but no wandering/shaking, etc.

sorry for the off-centered photo...twas late in the evening so i had to manipulate my iphone's metering system by aiming toward the ground more to lighten the shot.

OK, congrats! They look good from here!!!

If anyone wants to do this do it right. Put your car on jack stands, take all 4 wheels off and remove the tires. Take them to a shop and have them media blasted (should cots about $15-$20 a wheel) then paint them yourself or have them done professionally so they don't look like sh!+ in a year.

Don't get me wrong I am all about DIY and I really think yours look good. But the cost of having them stripped and finished professionally is pretty low right now given the economic situation...give a brotha job! (I can say this because my job after 8 years ends tomorrow...wow...not looking for pity but let's pay people for what they are really good at right now).
Old 09-25-09, 07:51 PM
not sure
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm with you there...in fact, the email i sent to my friend after finally completing it is next time i need something painted i am taking it to a shop with a sandblaster. that is what took so long is removing the oem paint.

anyway, i did search for 4runner limited wheels for months on craigslist before finally giving in. besides, my tires still have 80% tread left so i didn't want to just ditch them. when they come up for replacement (or, my paintjob begins to sour) i'll look elsewhere again.

however, i must say, for what was a $50k near top-of-the-line SUV from a company that pursues perfection, having both the cracked dash malady and corroded wheel paint in a 5 year old product is quite disenchanting.
Old 09-26-09, 07:13 AM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat with you on the tires. Those aren't 4Runner limited wheels that I bought. They're off a 4Runner sport, so they are 17"s.

I'm also with you on the quality of these trucks. The wheels I bought were off of an 03 4Runner, same year as my GX, and they were perfect.

My latest trouble is that both front door woofers blew within days of each other last week. $180 a piece from Sewell......

I am VERY close to trading this thing in.
Old 09-26-09, 05:48 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice work!
Old 09-28-09, 09:16 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good