GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Replacement Speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 05:14 PM
rainmn
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacement Speakers?

Has anyone found a source, aside from Lexus, for replacement speakers?

Both of my front door woofers are toast (I have the ML system.) Pulled one of the door panels today to see what's in there. I can confirm that the woofer is a 6x9, 8 ohm, and there is about 3 1/2" of mounting depth. The 8 ohm part is obviously the problem.

I can also confirm that the "high end ML speakers" aren't very impressive. Paper cone, small magnet. Nothing special about them at all, other than the complete failure of the foam surround. It was totally separated from the speaker basket.

I've searched all over the web with no luck on an 8 ohm replacement. Spoke with a local shop today, and he found something in 8 ohm, but they had a 4 1/2" mounting depth, so no go there.

I REALLY am going to have a hard time bringing myself to pay $180 each for factory replacements, but I'm starting to think I have no other choice.
Old 09-26-09, 05:38 PM
purplehazek4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You should try calling Alpine, Kenwood, Infinity, etc direct. I'm sure they can assist you the best. If, not I'd look for used (ebay, junkyeard, online)
Old 09-26-09, 07:03 PM
rainmn
Driver

Monday I'm going to call a couple manufacturers like you suggested. If I find something, I'll post it here for future reference.

As for used, after seeing the condition of the surrounds on the speakers in my truck, I wouldn't bother. Not unless I knew they were out of a very late model GX.
Old 09-27-09, 12:33 PM
not sure
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crutchfield man...

use crutchfield's "Outfit my car" feature here;

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/a...Car/MyCar.aspx

or, call them; 888-955-6000 these guys have been in business for 35 years and are what i consider an authority in these matters. their prices are no better / worse than best buy, etc. but their expertise makes up for it.

brian
Old 09-27-09, 12:55 PM
rainmn
Driver

Already spoke to Crutchfield. They don't carry any 8 ohm speakers.
Old 10-03-09, 08:58 PM
dfwgs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rainmn
Already spoke to Crutchfield. They don't carry any 8 ohm speakers.
just curious if you found a vendor that has the speakers you are looking for, i have a blown speaker as well...
Old 10-04-09, 12:00 PM
litogo
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...placement.html
Old 10-05-09, 09:19 AM
rainmn
Driver

litogo - I don't see anything in that thread you linked to that is even remotely close to an 8 ohm 6x9 woofer. Did I miss something? All I see are questions about how to get a GS sub out of the car, and a suggestion for a replacement that is 2 ohm.

dfwgs - I never ended up calling any of those manufacturers. Ended up having a crazy day that Monday, and just gave up and ordered both door woofers from Sewell Lexus. As it turned out, they were less than the $180 I was originally quoted. Ended up getting both for $325 shipped.

Maybe these will last longer than the originals did.
Old 10-05-09, 10:03 AM
pgsandiego
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For future reference for people researching speaker replacement;

There are places that will rebuild speakers or even sell you a kit to do it yourself if you were so inclined (google speaker repair). I've never needed to try it but I'd have it on my list of things to consider (along with calling junk yards with GX's, aftermarket and, if all else fails, OEM).
Old 10-05-09, 11:45 AM
litogo
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=rainmn;4899847]litogo - I don't see anything in that thread you linked to that is even remotely close to an 8 ohm 6x9 woofer. Did I miss something? All I see are questions about how to get a GS sub out of the car, and a suggestion for a replacement that is 2 ohm.

Follow the wooferstec link and you will find an 8 ohm speakers. I'm not sure if it fits though.
Old 10-05-09, 01:01 PM
rainmn
Driver

[QUOTE=litogo;4900262]
Originally Posted by rainmn
litogo - I don't see anything in that thread you linked to that is even remotely close to an 8 ohm 6x9 woofer. Did I miss something? All I see are questions about how to get a GS sub out of the car, and a suggestion for a replacement that is 2 ohm.

Follow the wooferstec link and you will find an 8 ohm speakers. I'm not sure if it fits though.
I did check the site out, and found a few 8 ohm woofers, but not in both 8 ohm and 6x9 size. Even of you find something that meets those two criteria, you then have to consider the mounting depth.
Old 10-05-09, 03:12 PM
litogo
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=rainmn;4900457]
Originally Posted by litogo

I did check the site out, and found a few 8 ohm woofers, but not in both 8 ohm and 6x9 size. Even of you find something that meets those two criteria, you then have to consider the mounting depth.

lexmaniac is selling a new one on ebay for $299.
Old 10-06-09, 11:41 AM
rainmn
Driver

Just finished replacing the front door 6x9's with the factory replacements. Here are a few pics for those who have never seen them:

Looks ok from here:

Behold the massive magnet:

Think this might be the problem? (The surround was like this all the way around both speakers)
Old 10-07-09, 03:43 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You must be a lover of bass....... I was suprised/disappointed when I took the panel off of the doors to find these crappy paper cone and cheap foam speakers. Suprised that they sound as good as they do, and disappointed that Lexus took the cheap route. The issue as you have found is that the longevity sucks if you drive them hard.
Old 10-07-09, 06:15 PM
rainmn
Driver

I wish that were the explanation. The truth is that my wife drives the GX, and most of the time has the kids with her.

She usually has the stereo volume up to "barely audible."

Quick Reply: Replacement Speakers?