GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

The clunk, the dealership, and the extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 04:15 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The clunk, the dealership, and the extended warranty

We took our 03 GX in for the rear power window to be repaired. Since we have an extended warranty, we figured we would get the clunk looked at too while we were there.

We should have complained to have it replaced 2 months earlier under the factory warranty. The sound and annoyance was not nearly as bad as it has become in the past couple months and couple thousand miles. We are just 2 months out of warranty, and mileage is sitting at 55k.

The window motor will be fully covered, no questions asked. The driveshaft was diagnosed to have excess play within the slip yolk. The dealership tried to push the repair through the extended warrranty company. They agreed to replace it, though I feel like Lexus should have picked up the bill or at least part of it.

The extended warranty company does not want to cover the high cost of an OEM driveshaft and want to send the dealer an aftermarket one. I don't feel like I want to take a gamble with an aftermarket part, the dealership will cover parts and labor for a year. They will only cover the parts and labor if they sell and install the driveshaft.

I called the Lexus 1800 to put some pressure on Lexus to go ahead and cover the prop shaft through warranty. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Has anyone had any luck getting this repaired out of warranty? Any other avenues to persue? Thanks
Old 10-09-09, 06:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell your dealer the driveshaft is part of the power train warranty, not bumper to bumper. It is cover for 5 year or 60K miles if I remember right. What ever you do, do not put a aftermarket drive shaft in there. It will most likely not fix the problem.
Old 10-09-09, 07:08 AM
DallasGX
Rookie

Originally Posted by slvrpine03
We took our 03 GX in for the rear power window to be repaired. Since we have an extended warranty, we figured we would get the clunk looked at too while we were there.

We should have complained to have it replaced 2 months earlier under the factory warranty. The sound and annoyance was not nearly as bad as it has become in the past couple months and couple thousand miles. We are just 2 months out of warranty, and mileage is sitting at 55k.

The window motor will be fully covered, no questions asked. The driveshaft was diagnosed to have excess play within the slip yolk. The dealership tried to push the repair through the extended warrranty company. They agreed to replace it, though I feel like Lexus should have picked up the bill or at least part of it.

The extended warranty company does not want to cover the high cost of an OEM driveshaft and want to send the dealer an aftermarket one. I don't feel like I want to take a gamble with an aftermarket part, the dealership will cover parts and labor for a year. They will only cover the parts and labor if they sell and install the driveshaft.

I called the Lexus 1800 to put some pressure on Lexus to go ahead and cover the prop shaft through warranty. Guess I will have to wait and see.

Has anyone had any luck getting this repaired out of warranty? Any other avenues to persue? Thanks
2003 GX comes with 4/50 warranty. your warranty should have expired 2 years ago not 2 months ago...your powertrain warranty has expired too. iam sure your warranty people will cover the parts.unfortunately this is what happens when U buy aftermarket warranty. lexus original ext. warranty would have covered all OEM parts.
Old 10-09-09, 08:58 AM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

The bumper to bumper 4/50k warranty has expired. The Lexus Powertrain warranty is 6 years or 70k, whichever comes first. We are just 2 months outside of that 6 year warranty. This information was mentioned by our S.A. at the time of the diagnosis.

I purchased the vehicle used, and it came with this warranty. Not that the warranty company is a bad one, they are just bean counters that say they can get the driveshaft cheaper.

It was the only used GX in my area with the extended warranty, and the lower mileage, and an affordable price for us. It has been great, the only failure so far is the power window motor.

I believe the driveshaft issue happens more than we know. I do know that ours was not nearly as bad as it is now. It clunks at damn near every stop. It just sorta popped up, and has been getting worse. We do 90% highway driving with our GX, that may be why it has not gotten as bad as it is now, stop and go driving may have more wear and tear on the shaft.
Old 10-09-09, 09:06 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Curious, did you buy it as a Lexus "Certified" vehicle?
Old 10-09-09, 09:10 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Why didn't you buy the extended warranty directly from Lexus?
Old 10-09-09, 09:20 AM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cssnms
Curious, did you buy it as a Lexus "Certified" vehicle?
No, we did look at the Lexus certified vehicles, but at $39k+, they were out of our price range. New Mexico is very dry, hot and dusty, they only had a black, and a dark blue one. We wanted a lighter colored car, both with tan leather. We wanted the silver/grey combo.

Being in Albuquerque, there is not a large market for Lexus, and not a lot of used vehicles for sale. In fact, for our previous GS we flew to Dallas to purchase. When we sold our GS, (sold in 1 day) we scoured Autotrader, dealerships, craigslist, etc. There was only about 5-6 GXs for sale in our area. Of those, 3 were above $35k, and 4 of them had more than 50k mileage.

We bought ours through a private party for nearly half of what the certified vehicle costs. The owner was an older man, took great care of it, and the mileage was great too. He purchased the extended warranty. He had all service records, it was kid free and pet free. The headphones were still in the boxes, never even put the batteries in them.
Old 10-09-09, 09:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus had 2 or 3 version of these driveshafts, each version were suppose to be the final fix. I believe it wasnt until last year or the year before that did Lexus finally got the right design. After that, there was a production shortage on these new drive shafts and the back order was like 3 months. I doubt the after market parts companies have Lexus' final design yet, ask your extended warranty company to guarantee you in writing that if the aftermarket shaft dont work, they will replace it again with a Lexus one.
Old 10-09-09, 09:38 AM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The G Man
Lexus had 2 or 3 version of these driveshafts, each version were suppose to be the final fix. I believe it wasnt until last year or the year before that did Lexus finally got the right design. After that, there was a production shortage on these new drive shafts and the back order was like 3 months. I doubt the after market parts companies have Lexus' final design yet, ask your extended warranty company to guarantee you in writing that if the aftermarket shaft dont work, they will replace it again with a Lexus one.
There is no way I will go with an aftermarket part. Just like you said, the aftermarket companies will not have the final product. I will leave the OEM clunk shaft in there before I will accept the aftermarket. Lexus is aware this is a problem, and should cover the defective part with a newest and supposedly problem free shaft. I will even cover some of the cost.

They just want me or the warranty company to fork over $1k because of bad design. I tried the TSB route, Lexus says my vehicle not included in the TSB because my VIN does not fall into the range of affected vehicles.
Old 10-09-09, 09:52 AM
cssnms
Racer

I would continue to push back on Lexus being that you are so close to the warranty expiration date. I've heard from a few owners that have had success outside of their warranty and they like you were just beyond the expiration date.
Old 10-09-09, 01:58 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cssnms
I would continue to push back on Lexus being that you are so close to the warranty expiration date. I've heard from a few owners that have had success outside of their warranty and they like you were just beyond the expiration date.
Most of the time Lexus will honor the warranty, the minimum they'll do is split it 50/50. Good Luck
Old 10-09-09, 11:02 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

The warranty company replied to our Service Advisor. The information he relayed to us is that they will cover the labor, and ~$400 for aftermarket parts. If I want the Lexus parts, the remainder of the cost after ~$400 comes out of my pocket (about 300).

I also received a call back from Lexus customer service. They agreed to pay $300 of the repair. I find this a funny coincidence, he must have spoken to our service advisor. I will bet he tipped the rep at Lexus of our situation.

I took it, our warranty company will cover the remainder. I could have pressed for more, but at least this way, I have no cash out of my pocket, aside from the $50 fee for using a different dealer for warranty work than the original dealer that sold the extended warranty with the vehicle new.

Though the warranty company is far from perfect, it's a shame I had to put pressure on our Service Advisor, and call the 1-800 number to press Lexus. In the end, I am glad they took care of the customer. This is why I will continue to buy Lexus, and remember my local Lexus of Albuquerque service department for parts and repairs.

I also mentioned to our service advisor to order the most current driveshaft for the repair. He advised he would do that. I had noticed in the inital estimate to be submitted to the warranty company, the part number was that of the original shaft.

Parts to be ordered on Monday, as this information was provided at about 5 minutes to close on a Friday.

Ding Dong the clunk will be gone!
Old 10-10-09, 05:11 AM
cssnms
Racer

Glad to hear it worked out. Well played!
Old 10-14-09, 04:04 PM
slvrpine03
Driver School Candidate

Dropped The GX off on Tuesday, AM. Ready on Wednesday afternoon. All is well, no more clunk, window works great.

Recieved an IS250 as a loaner, very nice. Small, sporty, and may be my next replacement for my BMW. Just don't like how loud it rides compared to the GX. For being a hardtop, it is about as loud as my BMW convertible.
Old 10-14-09, 05:17 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by slvrpine03
Dropped The GX off on Tuesday, AM. Ready on Wednesday afternoon. All is well, no more clunk, window works great.

Recieved an IS250 as a loaner, very nice. Small, sporty, and may be my next replacement for my BMW. Just don't like how loud it rides compared to the GX. For being a hardtop, it is about as loud as my BMW convertible.
Easily fixed with higher quality tires. The loaner you get typically has cheap-*** tires.