GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Just picked up an 04' GX

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-09, 09:11 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just picked up an 04' GX

Howdy all. This is my first post on ClubLexus. I purchased a used 2004 Gx last week and let me tell you (as if you didn't know), this thing is great! The suspension and ride are fantastic. I don't fit the typical Lexus owner as I'm pretty young I suppose at 27, but got it at a great price and want to use it for expeditions and off-roading as well as the daily cruiser. I got hooked on this truck after relentless research and lots of test driving. It was between this and an 07' 4runner sport. The 4runner's Xreas would be nice but for 1k cheaper I went with the GX (No KDDS). That's right...the Lex was cheaper! So I went for it despite the fact my lower class amigos are going to give me crap for driving it

I love it. It is an 04', so I was wondering if there may be some updates worth getting. Can my 2004 Nav system run a newer Nav DVD say off a 2009 model?

Also, any idea how big I can go on tires without putting in a lift? I believe mine came with 65R17. Would prefer to go bigger maybe with 70R17 if it wouldn't rub.

I gotta man this thing up. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Old 11-24-09, 09:29 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 11-25-09, 08:20 AM
antonio98
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GxTex
I love it. It is an 04', so I was wondering if there may be some updates worth getting. Can my 2004 Nav system run a newer Nav DVD say off a 2009 model?

Also, any idea how big I can go on tires without putting in a lift? I believe mine came with 65R17. Would prefer to go bigger maybe with 70R17 if it wouldn't rub.

I gotta man this thing up. Any advice would be great! Thanks!
Welcome to the club!

You can update the Nav data to version 9.1 for gen 2/3. This will update the street and POI information, but will not change the look/feel of the Nav interface.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...d=203904&all=Y

Other members have used 265/70R17 tires with no problems.
Old 11-25-09, 09:09 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice score. The difference between the 4runner and the GX are hugh. I also looked at them both.

Tires! You can go to 265/70/17 with no problem and it will also fit you spare tire location. I went with the Revo's AT 265/70/17. Look and feel great. The 4runner guys love them and I have had them on 2 Landcruisers. I also got rid of my OEM crhome wheels and got some Toyota FJ wheels used from the FJ forum (cheap). Much nicer looking and beefier built wheel. There offset is 10 mm out so you will also get a slightly wider stance.

Along the man this thing, I took off the running boards since I never use them and that is the first thing to be damaged offroad. You loose the front mudflap when you do this. It looks so much better and more offroad capable. If you PM me you e-mail I will send you some pics of before and after.

Enjoy
Old 11-25-09, 11:51 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jditom, how about post them up here. I would be interested in seeing the before and after. Not many modded GX's out there!
Old 11-25-09, 12:51 PM
jditom
Pole Position

I will, but I need to find a good photo host.

Any recomendation?
Old 11-25-09, 03:36 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by antonio98
Welcome to the club!

You can update the Nav data to version 9.1 for gen 2/3. This will update the street and POI information, but will not change the look/feel of the Nav interface.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/par...d=203904&all=Y

Other members have used 265/70R17 tires with no problems.
Thanks for the link Antonio. I went into NTB today and the guy told me the 265/70R17 tires would rub. They do a test fit to make sure they don't rub so I'm headed back on Black Friday to get 4 for the price of 2. I'll check out the Revos AT's too, thanks j.
Old 11-25-09, 03:38 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jditom
I will, but I need to find a good photo host.

Any recomendation?
I hear good things about Photobucket but havn't used them. I'd love to see them too.

http://photobucket.com/
Old 11-26-09, 03:56 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Thanks for the link Antonio. I went into NTB today and the guy told me the 265/70R17 tires would rub. They do a test fit to make sure they don't rub so I'm headed back on Black Friday to get 4 for the price of 2. I'll check out the Revos AT's too, thanks j.
I think a few folks have used these without rubbing.
Mine are on FJ WHEELS that stick out 10mm more and no rubbing.
Many 4runners use this size with no problems.

Below is a trial pic. More to follow.
Old 11-28-09, 06:19 AM
itsZep
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went into NTB today and the guy told me the 265/70R17 tires would rub.
I am running 20 Inch wheels with 285/50 Yokohama tires without any problem. (see my GARAGE)

Congrats on your new purchase.
Old 11-28-09, 04:30 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

The FJ's look good! I like the wider stance too. So it looks like the 2010 GX460 comes with some new wheels very similar to the Prado and 4runner Limited wheels. Very nice.
Old 11-28-09, 04:34 PM
GxTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by itsZep
I am running 20 Inch wheels with 285/50 Yokohama tires without any problem. (see my GARAGE)

Congrats on your new purchase.
Nice ride. Those pics look like they were taken in Las Colinas corporate center in Dallas. I do like the 20's but need more rubber for rough terrain. I might have to get two sets.
Old 12-01-09, 10:24 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with FJ cruiser wheels too, and check tirerack.com for prices. Also you can put bull bar with off road lights. Try to google truck champs. Also you can modify your differential for better locking (try to google hoopers).
Old 12-04-09, 12:37 PM
Rammer
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure this link has been posted up before, but if you truly want to make your GX off-road capable, I'd follow in the foot steps of the Four-Wheeler magazine guys:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/projectbu...ion/index.html

Also, if you are looking to make it into a true expedition vehicle I'd check out http://www.expeditionportal.com/. They do some crazy stuff to their rigs, while maintaining a sharp, classy look to them.

I came to the GX from a Land Rover Disco II and love the off-road capabilities of the GX(even as a stock vehicle). It shares the luxury of the Disco, but also comes in big in the longevity/reliability categories.

I'd love to transform my 06 GX into an expedition vehicle, but since it is our only vehicle now (we live near Boston and rely heavily on public trans), I think I'll wait to make any huge mods.

Congrats on the GX! And don't feel bad about driving a Lexus as a young guy (I'm younger than you)...it just means you have good taste!
Old 12-05-09, 03:49 PM
brycejaq
Driver

I also debated between the GX and the 4th Gen 4Runner for a while (after throwing out the idea of getting a 1st Gen Sequoia because the 2nd Gen came out and we liked it much more--but couldn't yet afford one, nor did we want to wait another year til we could), so we found several 4th Gen 4Runners, but we kept finding the interiors being all scratched up on the insides of the door panels and the center consoles, and sometimes on the rear hatch, so we started looking at the GX's, just to see...finally found one, an 06 that was priced perfectly so we bought it up (after looking for a new vehicle for nearly a year)...

Anyways, enough about me, glad to hear you found one that fits you. I'm also a young GX owner @ 24 (my wife's even younger @ 22, and it's really her car, too), but we saved for quite a few years and payed cash for ours so we're definitely keeping it for a while.

I've heard you can put on 70's as well, but I just got a new set of Good Year Forterra TripleTread tires put on Friday and love them! Needed some good winter tires for the NE winters, but didn't much feel like getting a dedicated set on snow shoes so we went for these all-seasons after many recommendations mentioning them first. So far I highly recommend this tire...pretty expensive at $230 a piece, but so far totally worth the price...we'll see once the snow starts to fall and stick

Anywho, congrats on the new ride and feel free to post when you have any questions about it!

Quick Reply: Just picked up an 04' GX