GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

07 GX470 Rear Suspension Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 04:13 PM
Agombos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 GX470 Rear Suspension Stuck

I am having a problem with my rear suspension. The indicator lights on the dash (for the rear suspension control) are working correctly as are the controls on the center console, however the rear of my vehicle is stuck in a high position. I have read through the owner's manual and am looking for advice before calling the dealership. HELP!
Old 01-04-10, 04:58 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

w/ an '07 you're probably still under warranty which is good b/c most often this issue is caused by one of the rear height suspension switches. There's one on each side and they are known to stick/freeze. Had mine replaced under warranty on my '04.

Someone wrote up a DIY R&R here not too long ago if IIRC so a search should be able to find the thread pretty easily.

Good luck
Old 01-04-10, 07:26 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

sensors shot already?
Old 01-05-10, 08:37 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
sensors shot already?

It could be due to the bad weather (salt/sand)
Old 01-05-10, 01:06 PM
lexwoody
Driver School Candidate

I swap out my rear air bags for coils and have two height sensors laying around.
Old 01-05-10, 02:59 PM
Agombos
Driver School Candidate

The weather has been out of the norm cold and the vehicle was fine when I left the garage... after being out and parked in the cold for 3 hours is when I noticed the height difference. It COULD be frozen... any suggestion on how to unfreeze?? I can't fit the vehicle back in the garage at it's current height. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 01-05-10, 04:28 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexwoody
I swap out my rear air bags for coils and have two height sensors laying around.
how is the ride compared to the stock suspension?
Old 01-06-10, 10:52 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Agombos
The weather has been out of the norm cold and the vehicle was fine when I left the garage... after being out and parked in the cold for 3 hours is when I noticed the height difference. It COULD be frozen... any suggestion on how to unfreeze?? I can't fit the vehicle back in the garage at it's current height. Thanks for all of your help!
I had a same problem too. Somebody told me try to disconnect you battery (negative) I am not sure if it help. If you have 07 take it to the dealer they can reset the computer.
Old 01-10-10, 07:51 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

try letting the air out of the rear tires, see if it gives you enough room to get back in the garage. (obviously you need to have a way to put air back in the tires)
Old 01-10-10, 01:21 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Tell us a little more about this. Cost, ride, etc? Thanks!
Old 04-14-10, 08:07 AM
ctrom
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased an 07 gx 470 and when I come to a stop... I feels like the brakes stuck but also feels like someone tapped me from behind?? Anyone else with this problem or does anyone know what this problem could be??? Course the dealership said all do it!

It doesn't always do it???????
Old 04-14-10, 09:20 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Driveshaft. Search "clunk" fix.
Old 04-14-10, 10:36 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having a problem with my rear suspension. The indicator lights on the dash (for the rear suspension control) are working correctly as are the controls on the center console, however the rear of my vehicle is stuck in a high position. I have read through the owner's manual and am looking for advice before calling the dealership. HELP!
Same issue with my 2005 GX and it was due to the HEIGHT sensors that have gone bad. I was out of warranty and was given a discount price of parts/labor of around $200 to get repaired. I was originally quoted at $875 for the service. The discount price was after I told them I had GEICO's Mechanical Breakdown Coverage as the original owner of the GX.

Geico's Mechanical Breakdown Coverage for all intent's purposes just like the Extended Warranty from Lexus, but far, far CHEAPER... It's only availble to Original owners of a newly purchased or leased vehicles with less than 15,000miles and for small ($) annual premium you are covered up to 100,000 miles or 7 years, with $250 deductable... Never thought I would use it, but VERY glad that I got it!

As soon as I told the Lexus service rep that I had this coverage, he told me he would speak to his manager and told me he would call me back. When he did, he offered me the discount price... no deductable needed and it was cheaper than the deductable itself...

Bottom line, I'm sure it's the height sensor... Good Luck!!
Old 04-14-10, 10:40 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ctrom
I just purchased an 07 gx 470 and when I come to a stop... I feels like the brakes stuck but also feels like someone tapped me from behind?? Anyone else with this problem or does anyone know what this problem could be??? Course the dealership said all do it!

It doesn't always do it???????
That is the DRIVE SHAFT clunk fix... Take a look at the stickie at the top of the forum... TSB, known issue with the GX and finally fixed with the 3rd (or is it the 4th) revision... (FINALLY!!) I got mine fixed under warranty about 1.5 years ago and so far no issues after another 8k miles...

Good luck!

PS. My other reply has to do with the issue where the HEIGHT of the rear end is JACKED up HIGH and riding super LOW... not sure if you have one or two issues with your GX... ?
Old 04-14-10, 10:45 AM
rainmn
Driver

I'm interested to hear more about this.

I've already had both of the ride height sensors replaced once, and I don't have any doubts that the stupid rear suspension will have another problem sooner or later.

How's the ride with the coils compare to stock. (That is of course, stock suspension that's working right. I went a year with mine riding poorly intermittently, until the sensors finally quit completely)

Quick Reply: 07 GX470 Rear Suspension Stuck