GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-10, 09:08 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Ask the dealer to check the Engine Mounting Insulators which are placed both sides of the Engine closer to the Exhaust Manifold. If the rubbers are worn out, chances are that the vibration would generate 1000-2500RPM and subside as higher the speed is.
Old 11-29-10, 03:54 PM
Playtobias
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans

Thanks for the tip man777!

I wanted to add, the shuddering seems to happen primarily when the vehicle is still cold (initial 10 minutes of driving). That explains why I could not replicate when at the dealer, which for me is a two hour drive, 100+ miles...
Old 11-29-10, 08:55 PM
mann777

You can have a look once you remove the engine protective covers from below, and you may have to stretch a bit to give a shake. Ensure the engine is cold, you may burn your hand as it is besides the exhaust manifold. The rubbers are suppose to be firm and not loosen when shaken. Yes as you said it will happen more on cold start. Other bet is leave the car with the dealer for a day and advice to him of doing a cold start to check on the vibration.
Old 04-21-11, 10:17 AM
RangerGres
Driver School Candidate

Default Girl Needs Help with Transmission Problem: Delayed Shifting.

2006 GX470, ~65k mi. When shifting from P to R, P to D, or R to D, the transmission often (but not always) seems to have to think about it a while. When it shifts fine it takes about 1sec for the transmission to change gears. When it's being cranky it takes ~4secs.

There are no other symptoms.

I did a lot of searching around the Internet but I couldn't find anyone with a GX470 with my symptoms, or even another Lexus with my symptoms.

The girl, btw, would be my wife. It's her car. It was a sneaky ploy to get all the smart folks into this thread. For we all know that none of us can resist clicking on a thread that starts with "girl needs help". <g>
Old 04-21-11, 06:14 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say change the transmission fluid. I think it can still be done on 06. I just had mine replaced on my GS400 due to some hesitation between gear change. My issue wasn't as big as you described, but apparently my tranny fluid over the years got saturated with moisture and was due for a change. My car doesn't have a sealed unit though. Not sure if 06 GX has a sealed tranny.
Old 04-22-11, 07:29 AM
mr2fast
Driver

hehe, very sneaky of you! I agree with Globalinx, change the trans fluids and possibly the diff and transfer case as well.
Old 04-22-11, 08:31 AM
votru
Lead Lap

ahahha, I got trap . Do hope fluid change solve your issue and report back.
Old 04-23-11, 08:20 AM
mann777

To me it looks to me the following issues, delayed transmission shift.
1. Shift Lock Control Torsion spring is dead, need to service it by applying MP grease to the shift lever link and the torsion spring.
2. Sometimes if you feel when shifting the lever, it not smooth, but a bit hard, you could check the solenoid lock.
Old 04-25-11, 05:15 AM
RangerGres
Driver School Candidate

Got it, thx guys.

In keeping with the title of this thread when you say the above sentance, do it in a warm sultry voice <g>.
Old 03-21-12, 06:26 PM
Waltoz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RangerGres
2006 GX470, ~65k mi. When shifting from P to R, P to D, or R to D, the transmission often (but not always) seems to have to think about it a while. When it shifts fine it takes about 1sec for the transmission to change gears. When it's being cranky it takes ~4secs.

There are no other symptoms.

I did a lot of searching around the Internet but I couldn't find anyone with a GX470 with my symptoms, or even another Lexus with my symptoms.

The girl, btw, would be my wife. It's her car. It was a sneaky ploy to get all the smart folks into this thread. For we all know that none of us can resist clicking on a thread that starts with "girl needs help". <g>
I have a similar issue.
Since I have had my Lexus GX470 I have had intermittent transmission problems.
It seems if I drive for 30 minutes then park and leave for about 20 minutes it will allow me to reverse but as soon as I place it in drive it can sit there for 5-6 seconds then engage.

The key word is intermittent. As the Lexus dealer can never recreate it.
Employees and clients have all noticed and commented but for Lexus it never occurs.
Old 03-26-12, 06:53 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rangergres
got it, thx guys.

In keeping with the title of this thread when you say the above sentance, do it in a warm sultry voice .

lol!!!
Old 04-11-13, 01:12 PM
BCPAGirl
Driver School Candidate

Default 2004 GX470 Transfer Case/Transmission Problem

Hi All,

This is my first post. Please allow me to tell my story of woe concerning my girl; she still makes me smile every time I open the door I apologize for the length of this post...

I have an 04 GX470, bought it in 05 with 12k miles on it, now has 130k miles. They're mostly highway miles as I make 2-3 long distance trips home to see my family per year. It's basically 2 long roads to get there so a pretty easy drive with little stopping. I've had very few issues with my car and can't complain too loudly considering I've driven her for the last 8 years. The car has always had that "bump"; I inquired about it at the dealer and was told it was normal for that car. I didn't know there was a repair for it until reading it on here.

Three months ago I noticed a leak on my garage floor; I initially thought it was from my daughters car since she was using my garage bay while I was gone for a month on one of my trips home. After determining that indeed it was coming from my car I right away found a highly recommended import repair shop on Angie's List and took my car there. I always took my car to the dealer but have had enough of over-paying for maintenance and small repairs. Last year I paid $45 for a turn signal bulb, ($20 for the bulb $25 to install it). The bulb lasted 9 months.

The import shop tells me the transfer case is leaking and the repair will be $1200. They have to pull the transmission to get to it and it will be 10 hours of labor. So, I have the repair done; the work order states the actuator o-ring and seal were replaced. No more leak.

Last week while driving I felt a very small ripple feel, I thought it was the road. Next day I felt it again and knew this time it wasn't the road. Shifting between 2nd & 3rd gear is when the ripple happens. I take the car back to same repair shop who tells me they drove it and didn't feel it. Amazing because the speed limit varies between 20-40mph to drive to their shop and it did it the whole way when I drove it there. I insist they drive it again. They did and now tell me the transmission is bad; slipping between 2nd and 3rd gear. It's a sealed unit and no repair can be done to it. They said my options are to replace it (although not recommended by them), drive it til it dies completely or sell it. Ugh! I'm not ready to give her up! The shop re-set the computer and I have to pick it up today.

Ok, question... does anyone think the transmission problem is related to removing it to repair the transfer case or just coincidence? Maybe I should find a place to do a fluid change to see if that fixes the problem. I also read on here that a Lexus mechanic stated that if the TC and transmission aren't aligned exactly there will be problems. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-17, 06:09 PM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Transmission issue...need advice?

Let me preface this with I have had the"Clunk" TSB performed on my 2004 Lexus GX470 which has 178k miles on it. So every time car seems to downshift into 2nd gear electronically in the 40 mph range there is a "clunk" like noise where it feels like the car is getting rear ended. This does not happen if you downshift yourself with electronic off. Also, this happens intermittently. I took it to my local Lexus dealership to have them diagnose the issue and see what they came back with. "Checked all available ECM updates and did not find any needed. While using the techsteam scanner tool we were able to determine that the downshift from 5HT to 2nd is when you feel the concern. It will only act up when downshifting at 40 MPH to 2nd gear. Solenoid for transmission is a possible issue. Recommend reman. transmission." The cost for their recommended fix is almost $6k.

I wanted to get advice as to how serious this is as car drives great outside of that downshift to second thump? Is the transmission solenoid something that is located inside the transmission and one would need to have the transmission taken apart to replace?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-17, 07:15 PM
burtoncr
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You had the TSB performed, but have you greased the U-joints and driveshaft since? I've felt weird "downshifts clunks" approaching stop lights or slowing down and they are always fixed with more grease in the driveshafts. They typically come back after ~10k miles or so.
Old 02-01-17, 07:17 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

When was the last time you changed your transmission fluid? I'd go that route first if it's been a long time.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions