GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 09:23 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds more like you need a transmission flush rather than just greasing the driveshafts. I would highly recommend doing a drain and refill rather than hooking it up to a machine for a complete flush.
Old 02-02-17, 03:17 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So question...why wouldn't the lexus dealer have recommended that or performed that service? Should I go back to them or go to a specialty shop like AAMCO to get that done? Finally, why a drain and flush and not a complete flush?

Thanks in advance gents.
Old 02-02-17, 06:38 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do s complete flush. The dealer is in the business of making money. Some have that as a higher priority then serving the real needs of a customer. The flush may or may not solve the issue. It's hard to know. But replacing all the fluid won't hurt.
Old 02-02-17, 10:11 AM
levinsoy
Driver

Based on everyone's recommendations, I reached back out to the dealer and asked about getting the transmission flush done and received the following answer...they do not recommend a transmission flush as it will make my issue worst. In their experience it will make my issue worst because there are metal shavings already in the fluid so by putting in the new transmission fluid it will clean it out more and create more shaving metal causing it to get in the gears and it will cause the transmission to slip more.

I'm not a transmission expert but that sounded like some BS to me. Thoughts?

Finally, the dealer also said that they recommended the transmission flush on my 2004 GX470 to be done every 60k miles.
Old 02-02-17, 11:05 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

I was told by my Lexus dealer, because I did my first fluid change early, like at 50,000 miles the chance of a total flush at 150,000 causing damage, i.e. metal shavings getting stuck somewhere, would be minimal. The only recommend he power flush on trucks that have been maintained more frequently, especially those that tow and follow shorter service interval.
Old 02-02-17, 12:03 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

The "causing more shavings" doesn't make sense to me unless they run their flush pump through the system backwards (i.e. against the filter direction).

If that is a concern of theirs, they should have said "We can do that, if we also change the internal filter to remove any existing shavings it has caught"
Which will be about a $700 bill. But still way better than a transmission replacement.

Checking the parts diagram -

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...rimLevel=19100

Changing the filter ("strainer") means they removed the pan, and the valve body gets exposed, which is where the solenoids are located. They might be able to have room to replace the solenoid(s) without unbolting it (20 bolts plus o-rings), but if they do remove it the accumulator pistons might also fall out (I don't have the knowledge to say either way).

I would get a quote from a reputable transmission shop and ask what your options are.

Chip H.
The following 2 users liked this post by chiph9:
levinsoy (02-02-17), Lextazy (03-06-20)
Old 02-02-17, 12:25 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by levinsoy
Based on everyone's recommendations, I reached back out to the dealer and asked about getting the transmission flush done and received the following answer...they do not recommend a transmission flush as it will make my issue worst. In their experience it will make my issue worst because there are metal shavings already in the fluid so by putting in the new transmission fluid it will clean it out more and create more shaving metal causing it to get in the gears and it will cause the transmission to slip more.

I'm not a transmission expert but that sounded like some BS to me. Thoughts?

Finally, the dealer also said that they recommended the transmission flush on my 2004 GX470 to be done every 60k miles.

So drop the pan and drain all the fluid and the shavings (which I think it unlikely) are GONE. Isn't that a improvement? I call BS. Take it to the Toyota Dealer. I bet they know how to do this.
Old 02-02-17, 12:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Metal shaving floating around in the fluid is good? Sounds absurd to me.
Old 02-02-17, 03:12 PM
LoneHiker
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

That's a crooked dealer, never return to them, seriously. Too many people on this forum rely on dealers out of their fear of the unknown. There are tons of shops that specialize in Toyota (which is what our GX really is) and can do a proper flush with no problem.

I did my flush myself and documented the process here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-change.html
The following users liked this post:
levinsoy (02-02-17)
Old 02-02-17, 08:22 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the dealer is getting fluid flush and drain and refill mixed up. That's what I mentioned earlier about just doing a drain and refill repeatedly until the fluid that comes out is clean and clear, rather than hooking it up to a machine and getting it pressurized to flush the system.

But to be honest, I just noticed that yours is an 04, I believe if you do a little bit of research on this subject, until 05 the GX's had trannys that give out at this mileage. Just my opinion though, doing a maintenance like transmission flush is still a good start than replacing it completely.
Old 02-02-17, 09:05 PM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
I think the dealer is getting fluid flush and drain and refill mixed up. That's what I mentioned earlier about just doing a drain and refill repeatedly until the fluid that comes out is clean and clear, rather than hooking it up to a machine and getting it pressurized to flush the system.

But to be honest, I just noticed that yours is an 04, I believe if you do a little bit of research on this subject, until 05 the GX's had trannys that give out at this mileage. Just my opinion though, doing a maintenance like transmission flush is still a good start than replacing it completely.
They went to a sealed (non dip stick) tranny in o4. Besides that and the crappy WS fluid they are the same. Never heard they are more troublesome and I researched a lot.
Old 02-03-17, 11:47 AM
bbrowncods
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have several options. If it were mine I would do these things in the following order (easiest to expensive):
1. Grease propeller shafts and U-Joints.
2. Drain and refill with 12 quarts of fluid. Don't flush. Not because of metal flakes but because I don't think it removes enough of the old fluid.
3. Have a transmission shop do a tune-up. I am not a trans expert but I know there are band adjustments, solenoid adjustments, etc. that can be done.
4. If none of that works - live with it until you NEED to buy a new one. Even then you have options. Buying a "rebuilt" from the dealer is the most expensive. Look at having yours rebuilt or even getting one from a parts yard (with warranty) that is low mileage.

Last edited by bbrowncods; 02-03-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-03-17, 03:03 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

That explanation by the dealer is total horse ****!
Old 02-08-17, 01:32 PM
levinsoy
Driver

So I had the transmission fluid changed and it was so bad that my local shop who employs a few Lexus certified mechanics said they wanted to drain and fill a second time cause the fluid was that dirty. While there I had them replace the diff fluid and spark plugs also. Seems like the transmission fluid was never replaced. Thanks everybody for the assistance, I greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-17, 02:18 PM
EddieK05
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by levinsoy
So I had the transmission fluid changed and it was so bad that my local shop who employs a few Lexus certified mechanics said they wanted to drain and fill a second time cause the fluid was that dirty. While there I had them replace the diff fluid and spark plugs also. Seems like the transmission fluid was never replaced. Thanks everybody for the assistance, I greatly appreciated.
So did it fix your issue?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions