GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 09:00 PM
RPH74
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sheikhmax

I loved that GX but I never expected the transmission to go like that as I always kept the maintenance up to date. Buying it at 100K miles and ended up spending a lot of money over the years on maintenance from oil changes, timing belt , fluid flushes, 4WD fluid changes, tpms replacements, spark the lugs, replaces hubs, tie rod ends, Air bags (rear air suspension), alternator etc etc. Recently put on the new tires as well....
So to me when someone says about any car (Toyota/Lexus) that it can run forever... I have my doubts.
Anyways going for 2014 LX with 21K miles hopefully I will not have to spend crazy money on maintenance and it’s transmission won’t crap out.... 😐
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Transmission failure seems to be a fairly uncommon problem on these rigs, especially with proper maintenance.

Im jealous of of that ‘14 LX. Those are top notch rigs, with a reported 25 year service life in harsh conditions. Should last you for years to come.

As as for me I’ve had very, very good luck with a Toyota products. After having my wallet drained from several European and American cars, Toyota/Lexus has comparatively been far better. I guess that’s why I own 4 now.
The following users liked this post:
Dnights (09-09-19)
Old 10-12-19, 08:57 AM
majordog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 08 GX570 with trans problems, 260,000 km
I am a retired Toyota tech and took it to my buddies trans shop.
He says tranny is fine, but sent the valve body out to be "rebuilt"
Just waiting to hear back.
Had 4 trouble codes for shift solenoids, thought that rodents had chewed through electrical wires to trans.
Just looked at a 2014 LX570 today, and think I am going to buy it.
$43K Canadian dollars with 120K km on it.

The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (10-12-19)
Old 03-05-20, 08:22 PM
Cedriclaws
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if this is true across the board but from my experience I'm not a transmission expert but I've opened the pan on a few transmissions and each one has had a magnet in there that will collect the shavings, so I'm confused by the metal shavings deal, metal shavings are going to happen anyone who has rubbed two metal objects together knows this, the problem exists when the lube runs out the metal shavings can become detrimental, anything that is not in a hermetically sealed system needs an "oil change" #dontletthemupsellyou
Old 03-06-20, 12:05 PM
atownt42
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Playtobias
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and wondered if anyone has experienced transmission shuddering. While lightly driving, I feel a shudder at approx 35 mph, then again at 45 mph. I took it to the local Lexus dealer to have them analyze. Would you believe I could not get it to shudder when the mechanic went for a ride-along. Lexus customer service has always impressed me, I just wish I could have replicated this issue. Meanwhile, I'll just wait until the problem gets worse then bring it back in.

The mechanic mentioned Lexus had problems with the LX a few years back with transmission shuddering, but not with the GX. Just wondered if anyone has heard of this problem???

Thanks
I have this problem as well. 07 GX. When I'm accelerating around 30mph sometimes it goes into a vibration. Kind of feels like the shake when your ABS kicks in when braking on leaves or a slick road. When this vibration happens, I take my foot off the accelerator for a second and then it goes away when I accelerate again. The vibration only happens in the 30mph range, and it doesn't happen every time I accelerate at 30. Probably 1 out of 10 times.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-07-20, 10:25 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have over 100k miles and never had the trans fluid changed,that could be the issue as it was in my case.About 3 years ago at about 165k miles we would experience a slight shudder at certain speeds.It was most noticeable on flat roads,steady light throttle at between 35-45 mph.My first thought was that the transmission was going.We bought the vehicle with 54k miles on the clock and there was no history of a trans fluid change.I did one drain and fill and one month later,i did another drain and fill.Three years and 30k miles later,the shudder is completely gone.Going forward, plan on doing a drain and fill every 60k miles.If you use cheap or generic names fluids such as Valvoline,change it every 30k miles.Below is what I use.That is the retail price,but,you can get it for 25% less.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...%22?zo=5544139
Old 03-09-20, 04:49 AM
WJW
Driver School Candidate

Default Shutterfix

I tried draining and refilling but it came back. Drained and refilled a d then drained and added shutterfix and haven't had a problem since.
thanks
Old 03-09-20, 07:01 AM
Lextazy
Pole Position

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by atownt42
I have this problem as well. 07 GX. When I'm accelerating around 30mph sometimes it goes into a vibration. Kind of feels like the shake when your ABS kicks in when braking on leaves or a slick road. When this vibration happens, I take my foot off the accelerator for a second and then it goes away when I accelerate again. The vibration only happens in the 30mph range, and it doesn't happen every time I accelerate at 30. Probably 1 out of 10 times.
Any suggestions?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...es-hard-2.html
Old 08-02-20, 02:45 PM
La2472003
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission

Reflash you ECU it’s not the transmission that’s the problem it’s the brain controlling the unit. Sia electronics out of Indiana.

Originally Posted by levinsoy
Let me preface this with I have had the"Clunk" TSB performed on my 2004 Lexus GX470 which has 178k miles on it. So every time car seems to downshift into 2nd gear electronically in the 40 mph range there is a "clunk" like noise where it feels like the car is getting rear ended. This does not happen if you downshift yourself with electronic off. Also, this happens intermittently. I took it to my local Lexus dealership to have them diagnose the issue and see what they came back with. "Checked all available ECM updates and did not find any needed. While using the techsteam scanner tool we were able to determine that the downshift from 5HT to 2nd is when you feel the concern. It will only act up when downshifting at 40 MPH to 2nd gear. Solenoid for transmission is a possible issue. Recommend reman. transmission." The cost for their recommended fix is almost $6k.

I wanted to get advice as to how serious this is as car drives great outside of that downshift to second thump? Is the transmission solenoid something that is located inside the transmission and one would need to have the transmission taken apart to replace?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-20, 05:14 PM
La2472003
Driver School Candidate

Ecm/Ecu The engine control module is not working properly it needs to be reflashed. It causes the shifting solenoids to misfire. Contact SIA electronics in Indiana.. miss shifting it shifts then jolts really hard prior to stopping...
Old 08-02-20, 07:02 PM
La2472003
Driver School Candidate

Reflash ecm
Old 08-02-20, 08:32 PM
Lexus4321
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 109 Posts

What does a dealer do when they "flush" this sealed trans, just hook up hoses and go?
A pan drop is 100% needed so that the filter can be replaced.

I am at 222kmi now on my 2006, I did a pan drop to replace the filter at about 50kmi, I will be doing again soon.

An ecm "tune" seems odd if it worked ok for a long time then developed a clunk.
Old 08-04-20, 05:10 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

I paid for a new filter at 150k (pan-drop and total fluid replacement). Probably wasn't needed, but the original owner likely never changed the fluid (based on Toyota's incorrect advice).

All you really need to do is a drain + fill every 30k miles (more often if you tow or go offroad a lot). That will get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid out.

Chip H.
Old 08-04-20, 07:11 PM
coachstu
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
I paid for a new filter at 150k (pan-drop and total fluid replacement). Probably wasn't needed, but the original owner likely never changed the fluid (based on Toyota's incorrect advice).

All you really need to do is a drain + fill every 30k miles (more often if you tow or go offroad a lot). That will get about 1/4 to 1/3 of the fluid out.

Chip H.
I was thinking of doing a partial drain and fill. I'm at 170,000 miles and don't think fluid has ever been changed. It still looks good. How much trans fluid is in there and how much does a drain remove? Is there any way or advantage to draining less than the full amount from a typical drain? In other words, let a quart or so drain and replace amount drained?
Old 08-05-20, 02:15 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 746 Likes on 610 Posts

The idea is that you get on a schedule, and change about 1/3 of the fluid out each time.
It may be a myth that the detergent action of all-new fluid will dislodge any crud that has built up (blocking passages, etc), but it's one that I believe in.

Chip H.
Old 09-28-20, 03:37 PM
jft
Driver School Candidate

New virgin post from a knucklehead (me) that lived with vibrations at highway speed in a 2004 GX 470, to the point where it fell apart while driving. Cracked transmission pan and damaged transfer case, with the electric motor . First replacement of transfer case, it would not engage in 4 wheel. 2nd replacement apparently fixed that problem. But, THIS is the real problem. (dangerous too )

I believe this vehicle has an engine brake, tied into the transmission. It certainly gears down after the brake pedal is pressed. Is this the case?

So, this is the problem. When going downhill and braking, the transmission slips into neutral. This happens in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. While moving, or gliding , the transmission provides no power, but the engine revs while stepping on the GAS. Also, the angle of the downhill seems to matter. (transmission mechanic thought it was low on fluid, that that was causing the issue. It was not low ), mild hills, while braking, it does not happen.

When stopped, putting the car in PARK, it makes a grinding sound about 50% of the time. I feel as though I am "forcing" the car into PARK. The only way I can re-engage the transmission, and drive away, is to move the 4 wheel drive shifter from H to N to L, and back into H. All while in PARK.

Final "symptom" is , when car in PARK, on a slight hill, the car will move. Sometimes.

It's due for a timing belt change, has 216K miles on it. (roughly $2k where i live) At this point, I am leaning to selling it. But, do NOT want to sell it to anyone in this condition, they could get killed. I have read that it could be electronic/solonoid, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Appreciate the help, in advance.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission - Problems or questions