GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

expanding rear DVD

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-10, 05:21 PM
b20a1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expanding rear DVD

Hello i am new to the forum and have owned my gx for 3 weeks. the truck is an 03 i was wondering if anyone have tried to switch out the fold down monitor for a larger one? and if anyone has the updated navigation dvd(if burnable).

thanks
mark
Old 01-12-10, 08:00 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats mark and welcome to CL.

My '03 didn't come with the dvd package so I can't say I've tried switching out the DVD.

Just keep in mind that if you do decide to go with a larger flip down DVD it gets in the way of the rear view mirror.

As for the updated navigation I did get an "aftermarket" 7.1 update disc and it worked for me.
Old 01-12-10, 05:22 PM
b20a1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very true thats why i am also considering head rest monitors, i would not want to go completely aftermarket so i won't lose the "surround sound" but if there was an output to the dvd player i can tie into it and expanding it would be no problem. as far acopy of the 7.1does anyone have a copy of it for sale bootleg or not.

thanks

hids were on my door step today
Old 01-14-10, 06:42 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b20a1
very true thats why i am also considering head rest monitors, i would not want to go completely aftermarket so i won't lose the "surround sound" but if there was an output to the dvd player i can tie into it and expanding it would be no problem. as far acopy of the 7.1does anyone have a copy of it for sale bootleg or not.

thanks

hids were on my door step today
VAIS technology makes a unit that ties into the sound system as well as the NAV so you can play your DVD on your NAV unit. I think you may be able to get it to play while its in motion too but that's "illegal". As for head rest monitors, somethings you might want to consider:

You'll need to tie the single DVD player into both monitors or you'll need 2 DVD players and of course 2 discs. The point here is do you want 1 DVD player to be played on all monitors or do you want each monitor to have its own DVD unit, the reason behind this is if you have 2 kids then what do you do if each kid wanted to watch something different?

Would sound come out only through your factory system or can it be used via wireless headphones?

These were the types of questions I had when I was considering it and my answer was yes to everything so it got pretty complicated and of course expensive...I'm still on hold with the DVD package but someday I might get to it.

As for the NAV map disc...one thing you should know. If you get a bootleg and it starts the upgrade process and fails you might have to go and buy a legit copy because the upgrade process doesn't allow you to revert to the old version.