GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Outer Banks and Front Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 09:33 AM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outer Banks and Front Trailer Hitch

Hello
I had to trade in my FJ Cruiser which I had used for many fun trips to the NC Outer Banks to surf and surf fish. It was great on the soft deep sand. I now have a 2006 GX470 and am planning a couple trips up there this coming Spring and Summer.

I have not been to my local trailer hitch shop yet but looking on-line, I have not been able to find a front trailer hitch specifically made for the GX. I put a tray on the rear hitch and have one for the front that also has rod holders on it. Has anyone had any experience with finding and installing a front 2" hitch?

Also, has anyone had any experience with the GX on deep soft sand? I frankly think it will be just as awesome as the FJ was but sure would like the benefit of other's experience.

T.G. Raboo
Chas., SC
Old 01-22-10, 10:40 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I take my GX to OBX on an annual basis and it handles the deepest, sofest sand the beach can throw at it with ease. I have never shifted into low or had to lock the diff. I usually let the air out of the tires to around 22 PSI.

As an avid surf fisherman I can appreciate what you are looking for in a front hitch. I was considering it at one point but decided I just wouldn't like the way the hitch would look, so I bought a cheap rooftop rod holder. That coupled with my Thule Evolution rooftop cargo box allows me to do what I need to. Sure it's not as convenient and doesn't look as cool, but that's okay. As a matter of fact here is a picture...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...p-carrier.html

It's easy enough to find a fabricator/welder to customize a hitch to meet your needs. This is what my brother-in-law did with his Sequia and it was surprisingly inexpensive.

Last edited by cssnms; 01-22-10 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-24-10, 06:16 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. I am thrilled to hear that the GX handles OBX well. I suspected it would. If I end up having a front hitch fabricated, I'll post a pix here and let others in this forum know about it. Have you been to Portsmouth Is. right below Ocracoke?
Old 01-25-10, 06:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

I've been going to Ocracoke going on 9 yrs now, but I have never managed to venture over to Portsmouth. I've fished around Portsmouth in my boat and usually I know I am getting to close to the island when the green heads start getting me. I may try to head over there this year if the flies aren't to bad. Heading back down there for 2 weeks towards the end of July. 6 more months and counting...
Old 01-25-10, 06:07 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

We got very lucky last year on two trips to Portsmouth Is. There was an onshore breeze that kept the bugs away. We also hit the south tip of Ocracoke one day that was great. My wife is an artist and painted a painting of the vehicles and surf rods in holders on the beach. Many people who saw it immediately asked if it was Ocracoke. It sold quickly.
Do you bring an air pump that plugs in to the 12V or 110?
Rob
Old 01-25-10, 07:06 PM
cssnms
Racer

Rob make sure to get a painting of the GX sitting on the beach this year. No, I don't bring an air pump, you really don't need it. There are plenty of places on the island to fill up for free and given the fact that town speed limit is 25 mph and the limited driving we do around the island I keep the tire pressure down the entire time we are there. 22 psi still leaves plenty of air so it does not stress the side walls. Hopefully we will be able to pay a visit to Portsmith this year.

When are you heading down this year?
Old 01-27-10, 08:29 PM
TGRaboo
Driver School Candidate

I am probably going to take a long weekend trip in May and one in July. Don't have specific dates yet. Working on coordinating with all the powers to be at this time. Its a long drive from Charleston, SC, roughly 6 hours, but well worth it.
Have you had a chance to tour the old ghost town of Portsmouth on the north tip? I drove the FJ that I had the 8 or so miles up the beach to the town. We did get attacked mostly by mosquitos and had to virtually run to prevent getting carried away.
10-4 on getting the GX in the next painting. I am really looking forward to this cold winter getting over and drinking a cold beer on a hot day on OBX

cheers
rob