GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Lexus warranty problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 07:28 PM
dbh100
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus warranty problems

I am having a difficult time getting Lexus to step up for a warranty claim. I am wondering if anyone else has received similar service.

I purchased a new 2009 Lexus GX470 in November 2009. Within a short period of time I noticed abnormal wear on the driver's seat.

A. The driver’s seat cushion has a 6-8” area at least ˝” wide where the top layer of the leather has worn through to the white under weaving of the leather.

B. I brought this to the attention of the General Service Manager at Lexus of Orlando on December 28, 2009 just 7 weeks after the vehicle was purchased new.

C. On the above date the odometer showed less than 2400 miles.

D. I have owned three other GX 470’s that I have personally driven at least 25-30,000 miles each with no abnormal wear shown on the driver’s seat.

I received a call back from the Service Manager on January 8, 2010 telling me that he had reviewed this with his District Manager. Alan Sandberg, the service manager, advised me that the Lexus District Manager considered this normal wear and tear and therefore will not be providing any warranty coverage. Normal wear and tear, you have to be kidding me….. Would you accept this on a 7 week old car that you purchased new? I think not. Why should I?

My wife and I have been loyal Lexus owners since we purchased a new LS400 shortly after they were introduced. My expectation of Lexus was that they made superior vehicles and customer service was second to none. Now I learn that Lexus is just like Tiger Woods and Mark McGwire. They talk the talk, but when it comes time to show integrity and walk the talk Lexus is just as slick and evasive as today’s congress. Very disappointing to learn this as I am just their customer. I am totally mystified why I am being treated in this manner. Obviously I have purchased my last Lexus. Funny, I always thought it was easier and much more profitable to keep a good customer than find a new one.

Anyhow, I am getting nowhere. Any suggestions on what I should do next?
Old 02-02-10, 08:05 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you post some pictures of the damage? Have you called Lexus headquarters in CA to complain? Did you get the local dealers opinion (normal wear & tear) in writing on a work order?
Old 02-02-10, 09:47 PM
Bob GX
Driver

dbh
The kind of treatment you describes really ruins the ownership experience. I had a similar experience (on my RX) with the brakes - rotors warped time and time again, and Lexus finally issued a TSIB with a 'fix' and it said it was covered under the warranty - yet the dealer charged me for the repair, and refused to answer repeated phone calls, emails, and letters asking them to do the right thing - they wouldn't even respond. The RX was traded in this year (on a Subaru), and my GX (which I had already bought before having the problem with the RX) is going to be the last Lexus vehicle I ever own. It baffles me why they treat their 'customers' this way - I feel for ya! Keep us posted on what finally happens with the way they handle your problem.
Old 02-03-10, 08:55 PM
dbh100
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus warranty integrity

I did send an email to Lexus in California. They are supposed to contact me. Thanks for the advice.

Based on my experience so far not expecting much. Submitted report to Better Business Bureau and plan on taking lexus to small claims court.
Old 02-20-10, 10:13 AM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I found to be true with Lexus is that it's all about wearing you out and causing you to give up and go away. For me it was about my rims. It took me a while and several dealerships but I got them replaced. It was not easy but I was not going away and they knew it. Not to mention that I told them that they may not care but I would post my experience all over the Internet about how this was being handled and if they felt they could handle the fallout then so be it. I would want new seats and wouldn't stop until I got them end of story!

I've owned many trucks with leather seats and never had I seen wear on the leather like you are describing. I would keep all paper work. I would take picture and get names of who you have talked to. Don't take 3rd party answers. If they have an answer for you then let it come from the mouth of the big guy. I would document everything. I would also drive over there and tell them that you want someone to show you a used truck with your mileage on it with seats that look like yours.

Good Luck,
Old 02-21-10, 10:12 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

Try a different dealer. When it comes to warranty work, the dealer has a very small amount of leeway, they can only do what the manufacturer has approved. That said, a sympathetic dealer can plead your case with the manufacturer to get a better response, or, some dealers are just on better terms with the manufacturer and get preferential treatment. Either way, what you are experiencing is not "normal" and Lexus should fix it. Hate to say it, but you are going to have to be persistent on this, be a PITA, they will make you go away eventually.
Old 03-05-10, 10:59 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

wondering if you have made any progress with this. I had a new seat installed 3 months ago due to a clicking noise that the tech could not fix (after 4 attempts) and the new seats leather is cracking and chipping. Not happy with the lack of quality on the replacement seat.
Old 03-05-10, 11:47 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Where did you pick up the replacement seat?
Old 03-05-10, 04:06 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Lexus replaced it under warranty after I byatched constantly for 4 months.