GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Engine died on my 06 GX today while driving....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-10, 05:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The GX will start to shut down certain electrical load items when it senses the voltage is getting too low. The audio generally goes mute first, then the nav. Not a common issue, it happens. Improper jumping of a car can also lead to premature alternator failure.
Old 02-16-10, 07:47 PM
mann777

Received 65 Likes on 31 Posts

The new generation cars or SUV sometimes have this problem occured, If you happen to wash your car and also use Hi pressure wash in the Engine Bay, sometime the Alternator with the few drops water around gets shorted and dies, You have to ensure that after every wash a complete blow job is given ( I mean Air Supply)
Old 02-17-10, 06:46 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Improper jumping of a car can also lead to premature alternator failure.
And even proper jumping can cause problems because there can be voltage surges even if you don't do anything "wrong." I generally won't jump a modern vehicle -- I'll disconnect the battery and charge it, then start the car. IF I DO JUMPSTART a car, I use a set of cables with a surge protector such as these:

http://www.jumperoffer.com/
Old 02-20-10, 10:27 AM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny this happened to me in Aug. I have an 06 (bought new) with I think around 24 or 25,000 miles on it when the Alternator went. As for Lexus Road side assistance. What a joke. They left us high and dry for over 30 hrs with no food, no car and no way home (Don't break down on a Sat night). Long story, I wrote about it on here but it was a joke and I was NOT amused! Here's the funny part. When the truck just stopped I pushed the button for Lexus link and told the women that answered what had happen and what did the Icon mean. She said "How am I suppose to know" good answer you moron! Nothing like "ONSTAR" When I had the Escalade and there was a problem I pushed the button and they were able to tell me right away what it was.

I love my truck I just can't stand Lexus!
Old 02-20-10, 10:48 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps it is just the macho manly mechanical part of me, but I would NEVER rely on someone else DX my vehicle over the phone yet alone ask them what an icon on the dash is for. I DX my own car. If I need a tow, I call AAA. I had Onstar and was not impressed and this was at the signup stage-it was that bad. These services are only good in case you get into an accident and cannot call out.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-20-10 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-20-10, 12:57 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me, who only knows a bit about the truck I drive I do rely on someone on the other end that is suppose to guide me to know what I'm asking. I'm not incompetent I could not find the icon in the manual. With onstar they had a computer that they could tap into on board the truck that could give them some info.

I had to have it towed to the nearest Lexus dealer which was in Atlantic City I was in Cape May. It was Sat at 4PM and AAA would only tow it to the nearest garage which wasn't going to help me. I also could not get a rental car since they deal with Enterprise and they were out of cars and would not be able to get one for me until at the earliest Monday and I could not just drive it one way to get home I would have had to drive it back to Cape May NJ to return it. I also could not ride up with the tow truck driver since I had other people with me including my dog who by the way Lexus felt it would be fine to lock him in the truck which was on a flat bed because he is not allowed in the cab of the tow truck (by the way it was a Shih Tzu not a Pit Bull). So it wasn't clear cut. I guess if I was a guy I wouldn't have had this problem Lexus could also not tell me how long it would take to get the part since I was told it was back ordered and it could take 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months they had no idea.

Last edited by JASP615; 02-20-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 01:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Enterprise must have pretty good deal for auto companies. With my Fusion they only dealt with Enterprise for the 11 times the car was in the shop in 2 years. 3 or 4 of those rentals were bad and I finally demanded an import. They have me a brand new Altima which worked out well.

Lexus, Onstar,AAA, all seem to use whoever is available it seems. I would actually expect Lexus to contact the dealer and make some sort of arrangement to have all of you picked up and taken to the dealer to meet the GX. But...in these days with very tight budgets customer service is the first thing to go out the window with payroll restrictions. Unfortunate as this only pushes even more customers away regardless of the business.
Old 02-20-10, 01:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I6turbo
And even proper jumping can cause problems because there can be voltage surges even if you don't do anything "wrong." I generally won't jump a modern vehicle -- I'll disconnect the battery and charge it, then start the car. IF I DO JUMPSTART a car, I use a set of cables with a surge protector such as these:

http://www.jumperoffer.com/
an alternator has 3 diodes in it. Even with a surge protector you take the chance of blowing one out. Seen hundreds of them. The safest method is to just charges the battery.
Old 02-20-10, 08:04 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my car yesterday but on my way home car was bouncing up and down pretty bad. Like I had no rear suspension....
I turned around and took it back to the dealer. Now it's leaking rear air bag.
I thought they do test drive after each service?? I still can't believe they gave it back in that condition...
Anyway, they had to order parts so now it's next Weds...
Old 02-20-10, 08:11 PM
pump142
Driver

in Arizona, we get 2 summers out of a battery and they are wasted..just 2 hot
Old 02-20-10, 08:14 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
I picked up my car yesterday but on my way home car was bouncing up and down pretty bad. Like I had no rear suspension....
I turned around and took it back to the dealer. Now it's leaking rear air bag.
I thought they do test drive after each service?? I still can't believe they gave it back in that condition...
Anyway, they had to order parts so now it's next Weds...
AND... What was the problem???
Old 02-20-10, 08:35 PM
hsk73
Lead Lap

First alternator.... now rear suspension air bag need to be replaced...
Wonder what's going to break next...
Old 02-22-10, 06:09 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

The problem is that these cars have so many features and options and the more things you have the more chances you have that something will break. It is nice to have all of these fancy things but in the back of mind I am always thinking that any of these things can break at any time, and it won't be cheap.

We have had some problem with our GX as well.
Old 02-22-10, 06:54 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by hsk73
First alternator.... now rear suspension air bag need to be replaced...
Wonder what's going to break next...
I have a similar problem with my rear air as well. It handles way to hard even with the suspension set at comfort. I've never driven another GX so I'm not sure if this is normal. When I go over a speed bump the front is good but the back end bangs hard. Just dosen't seem right even with a truck suspension. I have a GMC Envoy that handles the bumps better. Any ideas?