GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How to Change Front & Rear Differential Gear oil on GX ( Tutorial )

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 03:43 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Bolts on my front skid plate were trashed too, had to drill one out many years ago. Now whenever I hqve to get to the oil filter I cover them with some grease, no problem since
Old 11-03-14, 06:22 PM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Wronglane
I have a silly question that I need to be sure on. I will be using Mobil 1 LS 75W90 gear oil in the front and rear differentials.........http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._75W-90LS.aspx

Do I need to add Limited Slip Addative? In reading some reviews of people who have used Mobil 1LS, after a while,they experienced chattering from the differentials. After adding the LS Addative,the chattering went away. I am confused on this now.
You don't have any LSD's anyways, not an issue.
Old 11-04-14, 04:29 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IanB2
You don't have any LSD's anyways, not an issue.
Thanks for chiming in.
Old 11-09-14, 07:08 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Changed the front and rear differential fluid today.Pretty easy to do.Thanks to all in this thread who posted on this!

For the front differential drain plug,I had to lightly hammer the 10 mm hex allen head into the plug to fully seat it,but,it came out without any problems.

For having 142,597 miles on the fluid,I did not think it was too bad looking. Color was very similar to the caramel in a milky way bar. Below are pics. The oil pan had oil in making it look darker than it was,so,ignore that.
Attached Thumbnails How to Change Front & Rear Differential Gear oil on GX ( Tutorial )-drainplug.jpg   How to Change Front & Rear Differential Gear oil on GX ( Tutorial )-pour-1.jpg   How to Change Front & Rear Differential Gear oil on GX ( Tutorial )-creamy-pour.jpg  
Old 11-10-14, 04:50 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you do the transfer case as well?
Old 11-10-14, 05:21 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by burny
Did you do the transfer case as well?

No,I will do that this coming weekend. The fill plug on the transfer case does not look like it will be easy to fill . I have the hand pump that fits on the quart sized bottles that you reccomended.but,did not need it al all for the differentials. Am I going to have to hand pump all of the gear oil into that fill plug? If so,will probably take a long time.

Any tips for filling the transfer case?
Old 11-10-14, 07:07 AM
IanB2
Pole Position

Received 525 Likes on 437 Posts

No,I will do that this coming weekend. The fill plug on the transfer case does not look like it will be easy to fill . I have the hand pump that fits on the quart sized bottles that you reccomended.but,did not need it al all for the differentials. Am I going to have to hand pump all of the gear oil into that fill plug? If so,will probably take a long time.

Either a hand pump, or some hose on the end of a nozzle (some fluid bottles come with this style lid) and squeeze it in there. Hand pump is probably your best bet, other than the location of the fill plug it's the exact same job you just did on the diffs. I found the CDL engaged and disengaged much quicker with some fresh synthetic gear oil in the TC.
Old 11-10-14, 08:35 AM
ALAN553
Racer

those hand pumps move the fluids pretty q uick, i dont remember it being a struggle when i did mine
Old 11-10-14, 11:32 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

What they said.
Old 11-10-14, 08:37 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by IanB2
Either a hand pump, or some hose on the end of a nozzle (some fluid bottles come with this style lid) and squeeze it in there. Hand pump is probably your best bet, other than the location of the fill plug it's the exact same job you just did on the diffs. I found the CDL engaged and disengaged much quicker with some fresh synthetic gear oil in the TC.
Originally Posted by ALAN553
those hand pumps move the fluids pretty q uick, i dont remember it being a struggle when i did mine
What they said.
Thanks Ian,Alan and burny. When I was at Toyota last week,I forgot to order transfer case fill plug and drain plug gaskets.Do any of you have the part number for them?

The gear oil pump in the link came today,if I use it,I will let you guys know how it works.

Amazon.com: OTC (2359) Oil Suction Gun: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC (2359) Oil Suction Gun: Automotive
Old 11-11-14, 04:47 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

$2 to $3 each. Might want to replace the bolts too while you are at it. The front has the hex fittings so be careful not to strip them. Any Toyota dealership usually has the plugs and definitely the crush washers on hand. 12157-10010 are washers for rear fill and drain. Also fits front fill plug. front drain is 90430-24003 big ole copper washer. Transfer case uses 90430-18008 for both drain and fill. If you can change your engine oil, you can definitely do this job. Get the little quart bottle pump at an autozone and it's back where differential oil is.
Yes sir. See above. If you want the bolts, they are 90341-18006 for both
Old 11-11-14, 04:58 AM
Wronglane
Advanced

Yes sir. See above. If you want the bolts, they are 90341-18006 for both

Thanks burny,I appreciate that.

I am going to call Lexus and get prices for changing all the fluids.Very curious as to what they are going to charge.
Old 11-11-14, 09:45 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Thanks Ian,Alan and burny. When I was at Toyota last week,I forgot to order transfer case fill plug and drain plug gaskets.Do any of you have the part number for them?

The gear oil pump in the link came today,if I use it,I will let you guys know how it works.

Amazon.com: OTC (2359) Oil Suction Gun: Automotive
not sure thats what you want...the one i had screwed onto the top of the gear lube quart bottle, no spill.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=G2039-EA

Last edited by ALAN553; 11-11-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-11-14, 04:25 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Originally Posted by ALAN553
not sure thats what you want...the one i had screwed onto the top of the gear lube quart bottle, no spill.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=G2039-EA
I have one very similar to that from Advanced Auto. I will try the bigger pump first as it can dispense 16 oz. with 1 full stroke. We shall see about that.
Old 11-12-14, 02:34 PM
Wronglane
Advanced

Picked up the transfer case washers this morning at a Toyota dealership. I asked for a price to change the fluids in both differentials and the transfer case. He said $250 for all three .I am gong to call Lexus and see what they would charge.

Quick Reply: How to Change Front & Rear Differential Gear oil on GX ( Tutorial )