GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX470 Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 03:23 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default GX470 Engine

Hey all,

From what i can see, the new GX470's engine has 5 more HP than the LX470, but same torque. The Tundra/Sequoia's engine has 10 more HP but 5 less torque than the LX470...and it uses REGULAR fuel, while LX470's engine uses premium. I wonder what the GX470's engine will use...i guess likely premium like its bigger brother, but i am hoping....

Thanks.
Old 05-29-02, 11:54 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had the exact same thoughts.......

........I can almost bet the ranch that the GX will use premium......however I'm REAALLLLY HOPING that it gets very good (relatively speaking) EPA gas mileage figures (maybe at least something like 15 city/ 21 Highway) and here is my line of reasoning:

1) it likely has a very aerodynamic body - probably something like 0.36Cd - I'm reasoning this because firstly, Lexus is a LEADER in aerodynamics(unbelieveable 0.25Cd of the LS 430) and secondly, the LX 470 itself a much bigger/wider/older "boxier" design has a STUNNINGLY IMPRESSIVE 0.40 Cd!!

2)It will have a 5-speed automatic versus the LX 470's 4 speed auto thereby allowing it to be geared really low for substantially better highway fuel economy and a bit better city economy due to better spacing of the gear ratios

3)It is nearly 800lbs lighter than the LX 470

so considering all of this if the LX 470 is rated 13city/16hwy, it's only logical that the GX should fare much better......let's hope so!

Last edited by vicpai; 05-30-02 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-30-02, 05:15 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Vicpai,

Long time no talk to! I am in the same boat as you in terms of anxiously awaiting the GX470! With regard to fuel economy, i think you are really optimistic! I think it is going to be around 14/18, similar to the Sequoia (tho has 4-speed) which weighs around the same as the GX. I think the 5-speed automatic tranny will ONLY benefit highway mileage, due to a HIGHER 5th gear on highway.

For me, i have a '97 Honda CRV right now, with 94,000 miles on it. It is running perfect. I will keep it for another year or so. If anything, i will buy the GX470 at the end of 2003, so that Lexus can work out all the small bugs (doubt if there is any) and also to see if they will make any major changes for 2004 (doubt it).

BTW, if you go to the site: http://www.gocrvclub.org/

You can check out the "Comparison" section for all the information released to date on the GX470. Feel free to add any links. (I am Thai, the moderator of that site.)

Thanks.

Last edited by tigmd99; 05-30-02 at 05:18 AM.
Old 05-31-02, 12:17 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Definitely agree with you there!

Hey Thai!

Nice hearing from you too!!......after that HUGE thread on the GX 470 in the comparisons section of www.acuramdx.org !! ........and my obsession with the MDX being unreasonably wide

I totally concur with you about buying a new model when it first comes out. Even for a company with very high quality standards like Toyota, I'm sure there will be some issues (given the sheer complexity of the vehicle).......In all likelihood, I will also probably end up buying the GX towards the end of 2003 when the 2004 model comes out (after all bugs are worked out)....and yeah I'm pretty sure there will not be any changes that early in the model's lifespan.......but I'm also considering the redesigned 4 Runner, which is going to be the GX's Toyota twin - of course that'll depend on how close the 4 Runner comes in matching the GX's luxury and features and more importantly whether the 245bhp/283lb.ft. VVT-i V6 feels "peppier" with better acceleration while giving much better fuel economy.

In the meanwhile my trusty 2001 4Runner runs like a dream.....the only complaint I have is that the front seats are VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.....other than that it is flawless!
Old 06-18-02, 06:44 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

outpowering the LX will not be a problem when they go on sale though, because the LX is getting a pump up on HP around the end of this year to match that of the GX, so they will both have identical specs..
Old 09-15-02, 03:37 PM
bareyb
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well it turns out Vic nailed City and Tim nailed highway. The *official* Specs have it at 15/18 mpg, City and Highway respectively. Must mean it's not geared super low in 5th gear. Which translates into a little better passing power. I can live with those numbers for a V8 with that much torque.

Last edited by bareyb; 09-15-02 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 05:36 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Hey bareyb!

Originally posted by bareyb
Well it turns out Vic nailed City and Tim nailed highway. The *official* Specs have it at 15/18 mpg, City and Highway respectively. Must mean it's not geared super low in 5th gear. Which translates into a little better passing power. I can live with those numbers for a V8 with that much torque.
I must say I'm dissapointed with the GX's highway mileage!!. (I was hoping for at least 20mpg, especially as I'm sure it will need Premium gas) .......they really should've geared the 5th low for economy. For good passing power one could downshift to 4th.

I was expecting SEVERAL factors to contribute to good highway economy when compared to the LX. First off, the rather "boxy", "tall" and "wide" LX has an AMAZING aerodynamic drag coefficient of only 0.40 Cd. Considering that the GX is much newer (with access to big technological advances, as well as Lexus being a LEADER in aerodynamics) I expect it to have a drag coefficient of at least 0.37 Cd, if not better (it's quite a bit lower than the LX, narrower than the LX and has a far more "streamlined" shape - newer technology .....all of these factors should yield a substantial reduction in drag) ......THIS, combined with the fact that it has a 5-speed versus the LX's 4-speed should've made a dramatic improvement over the 800lbs-heavier LX, which is YET ANOTHER FACTOR in itself........for all of this it's only 2mpg better?? This, I must say, is quite dissapointing

Last edited by vicpai; 09-15-02 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-16-02, 09:03 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Hey Bareyb,

I "won" the contest! I was the closest! When do i get my prize??

Vicpai, don't be disheartened! The GX470 is afterall a V8 SUV, weighing around 4600-4800 lbs. You can't expect MDX's fuel economy. Frankly, i would take the GX470 over MDX in a heartbeat...well, you know that already!

With that fuel economy, i don't think there is another V8 SUV with FULL-TIME 4wd that has that good fuel economy. 15/18 is excellent. How about the new Land Rover Discovery with the 4.6 L V8...that has a fuel economy of around 12 city/ 15 highway. The Disco weighs about the same as the GX. (Of course, it's engine is kinda old.)

Of course, between the '03 Land Cruiser and GX470, that is a tough question! Both are similar in price (why!!!!). However, the Land Cruiser is surely more capable and has a stronger frame/suspension. I am just afraid of subtle cost-cutting with the GX470 (like in frame or suspension components). Remember, in the GX, you're getting a lot more than in the LC...yet, they both cost the same! Granted, the LC is bigger, but that still doesn't account for the price. I wonder....

Thanks.