GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Have you ordered

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 08:55 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you ordered

Are people placing orders yet? I left a deposit for one about a month ago because my RX300 lease runs out at the end of the year. I was surprised to find that I was #2 at the dealer. I expect to be among the first to have one.

Yippee!
Old 05-29-02, 06:39 AM
SteveD
Driver School Candidate

I placed an order with Lexus of Westport, CT a few weeks ago. I am #22 on their list. They asked for a $500 deposit, (fully refundable). Even though Lexus says the GX470 will be "introduced" this November, the guy I was dealing with at Westport told me they do not expect to have the first deliveries until December. At #22 on the list, he told me I had a good chance of getting one by January if I was flexible on the color and the options.

While I think the GX470 will be a great SUV, it is actually my second choice (for the moment) as I also have a deposit down on a Volvo XC90 which, I am told, should be available in November.

Is anyone else cross shopping the GX470 with the XC90?
Old 05-29-02, 08:00 AM
Static911

We are putting our orders very soon.

Ethan
Old 05-29-02, 08:40 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Static911
We are putting our orders very soon.

Ethan
um if I had the money....I'd go s2000 =] THEN i go GX470 for my SUV. So I got
GS400 - Luxury (Bling)
Turboed S2000 - Speed
GX470 - 22's (Blang)
Old 05-29-02, 11:07 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey futuregs....

good lineup man....but I see mine like this

GS...Luxury cruiser

LX...Pimp SUV

Supra...All out fast *** under 10 second car

360 Modena....showoff

Black Muciehlago.....KNIGHT RIDER!
Old 05-29-02, 01:30 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Default Re: hey futuregs....

Originally posted by Francis K
good lineup man....but I see mine like this

GS...Luxury cruiser

LX...Pimp SUV

Supra...All out fast *** under 10 second car

360 Modena....showoff

Black Muciehlago.....KNIGHT RIDER!
Wow that's cool you hav eall that loot

I was just tryin to be realistic. lol
Old 05-29-02, 02:59 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default hhaha...

why be relistic when you can ahve your own FANTASY WORLD!!!

haha, just kididng
Old 05-29-02, 06:47 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey all,

I don't think the Volvo XC90 is in the same class as the GX470. I believe it is a direct competitor to less capable station wagons, like the MDX, RX300, ML320. The GX470 is a full-fledged pure SUV, with ladder frame, low-range, solid rear axle, skid plates. The Volvo also has a Turbo-charged engine which provides good high speed performance, but will suffer from turbo lag and lack of low-RPM power. Volvo will have many safety features, but in terms of capability, it doesn't even compare to the GX470.

With the Lincoln Navigator going the wimpy route with the rear independent suspension ("axle through frame" garbage), lower front bumpers, the GX470 may be the ONLY SUV in the class that can off-road. Cadillac Escalade cannot.

Toyota remains one of the few manufacturer that builds REAL SUVs...one that is used around the world..."the sun never sets on a Toyota SUV." (saying copyrighted by me)

Thanks.
Old 05-30-02, 12:12 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default The only vehicle I'm cross shopping the GX....

.......is with Toyota's own 2003 4 Runner, the GX 470's Toyota twin which is coming out this September.........The GX 470 and the radically redesigned 4 Runner share the exact same platform. However the 4 Runner will "supposedly" be available with 2 engine choices ( a 245bhp/283lb.ft. VVT-i V6 engine and an optional 232bhp/320lb.ft. V8 - same one used in the GX - I'm speculating that the Toyota version of the V8 will probably run on REGULAR FUEL and therefore the slightly lower horsepower).....I'm also speculating that a fully loaded 4Runner Limited V8 will probably come quite close to matching the GX (except for a few Lexus goodies like the Mark-Levinson sound system etc. etc. Also, the 4 Runner will probably not have the height adjustable and adaptive variable suspension...........Although at this point in time I'm heavily leaning towards the GX, final differences in price, availablility of different options etc. will determine which route I go!!

.......additionally, from what I've heard, all 4 Runner models (SR5, Sport and Limited) will have a 5-speed automatic, a DVD based touch-screen Navigation system will be available with the upgraded JBL sound system, HIDs (Xenon headlamps) will also be an available option, and Side-Curtain airbags will be available (I think I heard that they'll be standard). However, one major difference between the runner and GX that's been confirmed is that the 4 Runner will not have an "soccer mom pleasing" 3rd row seat option (AND I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THIS)

Last edited by vicpai; 05-30-02 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-30-02, 12:31 AM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Additionally.....

.........for anyone who's fanatic, like me, about a vehicle's reliability/quality it's advisable to wait at least 4 to 6 months into the production cycle. I've heard that the first few vehicles off the assembly line are built with slightly lower quality "pre-production" parts. Besides, Toyota supposedly stops the assembly lines to "fix" or "correct" bugs discovered by workmen during the initial few months of production of a first year model.
Old 05-30-02, 09:01 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Where do you get your info?

Vicpai, where do you get your info on the 4Runner. With those prices, wouldn't it impede on the Sequoia pricing? Not sure..
Old 05-30-02, 11:51 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Re: Where do you get your info?

Originally posted by pbm317
Vicpai, where do you get your info on the 4Runner. With those prices, wouldn't it impede on the Sequoia pricing? Not sure..
......I got this info from various Toyota enthusiast websites as well as some "insiders" from Toyota here at the headquarters in Torrance, CA (the reason I'm almost 100% sure it's accurate is because all of these various sources (the "insiders" and people on the websites) said the same identical thing about the specs, hp figures etc. It is my understanding that this preliminary info is pretty "common knowledge" (as opposed to being top secret). However, they are not letting anyone there to take any of the promotional material outside so as to not give it out to the public.......A couple of people (one service manager at a Toyota dealership and one General Manager of another Toyota dealership) said they'd seen a video on the new 4Runner. They also said they'd read some preliminary information on a leaflet that was circulated.

Additionally, I was told that Toyota will make sure pricing will not encroach into Sequoia territory.....that said, a FULLY LOADED 4 Runner would probably cost a little more than a base Sequoia......but then again it's not all about size.....There are lot's of people like me who would still buy a 4 Runner over a Sequoia even if the 4Runner was $10,000 more expensive SIMPLY BECAUSE THE 4RUNNER IS SMALLER.....and we HATE those large excuses for schoolbuses or whatever

Last edited by vicpai; 05-30-02 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-03-02, 02:12 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default GX470 Orders

I'll probably be waiting until May to order mine...have to wait for my GS lease to end before I can get into another. Should settle down by then a little bit anyways.
Old 06-05-02, 10:04 AM
LexusPia
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

SteveD, I'm also waiting for the XC90 and GX470 to compare but I just added the new RX330 to the list too. The XC90 seems very interesting but I'll hold my judgement until I see and road test the real thing. Their different engine power options are very impressive. If it rides rough and crude like the X5, I'll cross it off my list. The new RX330 seems interesting since it's only 10 HP less than the GX and it'll be longer (more storage behind the rear seat) same as the current Highlander. But maybe the cheaper Sequoa and 4-Runner are better buys since they'll have a V8 w/ 240HP this Fall as mentioned in the AutoWeek magazine.
Old 06-05-02, 01:31 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Originally posted by LexusPia
The new RX330 seems interesting since it's only 10 HP less than the GX and it'll be longer (more storage behind the rear seat) same as the current Highlander. But maybe the cheaper Sequoa and 4-Runner are better buys since they'll have a V8 w/ 240HP this Fall as mentioned in the AutoWeek magazine.
A very reliable source at Toyota here in Torrance said that the 4 Runner will have an optional 232bhp/320lb.ft. V8 and a standard 245bhp/283lb.ft. VVTi V6 - I saw the specs on a "leaflet" with my own eyes (although he didn't let me have the piece of paper) - however, it said these are preliminary figures which could change, but more than likely are final figures.

RX 330 is supposed to be only 5 bhp less than the GX which is 235bhp!, but likely to be around 500lbs lighter than the GX........where the GX really shines is in it's torque figures (320lb.ft.), especially at very low RPMs translating into amazing towing power and "off-the-line-punch"........the RX 330 is likely to have substantially less torque

As far as length, the RX 330, in all likelihood is NOT going to be longer than the GX......this would be ludicrous for Lexus to do something like that.....Firstly, the Lexus has clearly stated that the GX will slot between the RX and LX in size. Secondly, the fact is the Highlander is SHORTER than the GX (please see Toyota website and the Lexus press release for the respective specs)

Lexus GX: 188.2 inches in length
Highlander: 184.4 inches in length
Current RX: 180.1 inches in length
.......so, even if the RX 330 would be lengthened to Highlander specs (which I doubt) - they'll probably increase it 2 or 3 inches at the most - it would still be a whole 4 inches shorter than the GX......I read somewhere in a Lexus press release (don't recall exactly where) that "the RX will continue to cater to those who desire a sporty onroad ride above anything else"....."the GX will cater to those having more rugged aspirations and the need for eight passenger and more space utility......"and the LX will continue to cater to buyers who still want the largest, premium SUV

........all of this indicates to me that:
RX 330 will continue to serve it's current market segment - VERY SLIGHT increase in length WITHOUT seven passenger seating as a means of luxurious personal transportation.....the key word here is personal - so it doesn't need to be another "BUS"

GX 470 was introduced to compete with other midsize seven passenger SUVs

LX 470 (probably in it's next redesign) will become even larger and compete with LARGE SUVs like the Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator etc

.....in other words
RX - small/personal
GX - medium/mostly for families needing "space" and of course, I forgot, the seven seats
LX - large for people who want "tons of space" (bigger-is-better crowd)
............get it?

Last edited by vicpai; 06-05-02 at 01:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Have you ordered