GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 05:37 AM
Berner
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?

Has anyone upgraded the Stereo in their Non-Nav GX? I am interested in pulling out the factory radio and putting in a double DIN touch screen NAV/Stereo w/ backup camera & IPOD integration. Pictures? Issues?
Old 10-18-11, 02:17 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Default any luck

I am in the same boat and would love to know what you did or if you had any success or suggestions. Thx
Old 10-24-11, 06:09 AM
Berner
Driver School Candidate

Default Project Results

It worked out great but the project's scope was forced to grow beyond my original desire to just replace the head unit.

We installed a top of the line Kenwood DNX9140 with a HD resolution, touch screen that is has NAV by Garmin built in, CD/DVD, rear camera, Sat, USB, iPod, Bluetooth and is vastly superior to the factory unit in speed of operation, screen resolution, feature set, etc... It makes the vehicle's dash look and feel much more modern. We can also keep up with any advances by switching out the dual din head unit every few years and updating the maps is relatively cheap (vs. Lexus) & very easy.

Here are the things I learned that caused the project's scope to creep:
1) There is not an off the shelf dash kit to fit this car like there is for most cars so our installer had to fabricate & paint one - about $150
2) The impedance of the system is 2 ohms so all the speakers will need to be replaced. I had planned on just using a wiring harness adapter to integrate the new head with the factory speakers /amp but there is not one available for our car.
3) The speakers are not normal sizes so you or your installer will need to alter the fittings using plywood in the factory holes so you can screw in the traditionally shaped aftermarket speakers. No big deal but it adds a little cost since there are so many speakers.

Positives
1) Hiding amps under the front seats works well, plenty of space
2) The factory aux in can be easily replaced as a plug in port for the usb
3) The rear seat entertainment is not affected - it will continue to work as normal
4) Steering wheel controls can still be used if you buy a PAC SWIJACK for $75
5) GX470 owners with factory Nav systems stare with jealousy!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 10-24-11, 09:36 AM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want a simple plug and play installation retaining the use of factory amplifier with Factory JDM Dash kit from Japan we have it here! http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-81.html

Please let me know if you have any questions!

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 11-09-11, 09:48 AM
mpower1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Berner
It worked out great but the project's scope was forced to grow beyond my original desire to just replace the head unit.

We installed a top of the line Kenwood DNX9140 with a HD resolution, touch screen that is has NAV by Garmin built in, CD/DVD, rear camera, Sat, USB, iPod, Bluetooth and is vastly superior to the factory unit in speed of operation, screen resolution, feature set, etc... It makes the vehicle's dash look and feel much more modern. We can also keep up with any advances by switching out the dual din head unit every few years and updating the maps is relatively cheap (vs. Lexus) & very easy.

Here are the things I learned that caused the project's scope to creep:
1) There is not an off the shelf dash kit to fit this car like there is for most cars so our installer had to fabricate & paint one - about $150
2) The impedance of the system is 2 ohms so all the speakers will need to be replaced. I had planned on just using a wiring harness adapter to integrate the new head with the factory speakers /amp but there is not one available for our car.
3) The speakers are not normal sizes so you or your installer will need to alter the fittings using plywood in the factory holes so you can screw in the traditionally shaped aftermarket speakers. No big deal but it adds a little cost since there are so many speakers.

Positives
1) Hiding amps under the front seats works well, plenty of space
2) The factory aux in can be easily replaced as a plug in port for the usb
3) The rear seat entertainment is not affected - it will continue to work as normal
4) Steering wheel controls can still be used if you buy a PAC SWIJACK for $75
5) GX470 owners with factory Nav systems stare with jealousy!

Let me know if you have any questions.
Do you have pics of the install?
Old 12-09-11, 12:46 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

I did something similar and have picts, but it wont let me attach and I dont have them on the web just local. But if you need any specifics as to how I did it and what I purchased/installed let me know as it was big project but sooo much better now!
Old 12-09-11, 12:54 PM
headcrash
Driver School Candidate

Figured out the picts here are some to see
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-img_2044.jpg   Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-img_2046.jpg   Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-img_2050.jpg   Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-img_2051.jpg  
Old 12-09-11, 02:05 PM
desolate
Driver School Candidate

@ headcrash is that the beat sonic kit located here? http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-sla-81.html
Old 12-19-11, 09:03 PM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Bought a custom made double din "bracket" like the one pictured above off ebay for about 130 and then went to my local car stereo shop and had a kenwood double din nav/dvd unit put in. Works great!
Old 01-17-12, 10:48 AM
desolate
Driver School Candidate

@ Volman I have seen that kit off ebay. Do your steering wheel controls work? What about the factory amp adapter kit?
Old 01-19-12, 03:54 PM
desolate
Driver School Candidate

Will this work? I have a 2003 Non-Nav and Non ML.... It appears to just replace the stereo portion. Going for $50 on ebay. It seems different in that it doesn't replace the whole fascia.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-capture.jpg   Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?-camerazoom-20120119175608427.jpg  

Last edited by desolate; 01-19-12 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 04:53 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by headcrash
Figured out the picts here are some to see
Nice job!!
Old 01-24-12, 05:11 AM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Default Desolate: yes it works

The steering wheel controls work. The unit I bought also has all the standard stuff like Sirius/Xm radio, bluetooth, ipod connection, backup camera, dvd and navigation. As I said before it was a kenwood unit. I bought the adapter kit from eBay(I can find the exact seller if needed). The unit I bought was just for the mounting bracket only for $130, which matches up on color perfectly. Mine looks just like the unit from beatsonicusa only without all the wiring adapters. I do not know about the amp adapter but my car was not a mark levinson unit. The upgrade is far superior in sound and usefulness. I paid $1500 for everything installed including all the the ipod wiring, satellite connections and the actual backup camera itself. So I had $1630 in the total unit out the door. I am sure a lot of this was labor. So, for the do it your self folks, probably under a grand for a far superior unit.
By the way I still have my old lexus radio if anyone needs a factory perfect radio.
Old 01-24-12, 05:15 AM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Desolate, also the unit you are describing above ,which is NOT the entire fascia, I tried using initially but sent it back because of fitting/color issues. I bought it and tried it on ebay first. Now this is not to say they have not improved them since I did mine in early 2010 and the one you are looking at may be different but the one with the complete fascia fit perfect.
Old 01-24-12, 08:47 AM
desolate
Driver School Candidate

@ volman3 is this the item? http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GX470-...item27b8023689

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Upgrade in Non-Nav GX?