GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID fog install . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 06:38 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered my HID Kit from DDM Tuning. They are $40 and come with a lifetime warranty. The good thing is that the bulbs are shorter, so they do not hit the shield. This is my first time using their products, but I ordered 3 sets of 35w HID lights. My brother in law has been using their HID lights for over a year without any complaints. I thiought I would give them a try.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/101/
Old 08-17-10, 07:12 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vince22
HID stuff from Michelle (HIDeXtra.com), H11 and H3 are both 6000k they match up pretty well, cheap and looks great, DRL and LEDs from (V-leds).
Anyone know exactly what LED lights he has in the side step, license plate and Im guessing the LED for the turn signal bulb (is that the DRL as well) There are several choices for the LED's Im seeing on the VLED site

Last edited by Booyah; 08-17-10 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-17-10, 07:33 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

On Xenon depot site they have Putco LED's--I see the GX takes a few 194 bulbs and they offer 2 styles---which ones do you go with

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/194-LED-Re...hite-s/588.htm
Old 08-18-10, 01:10 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vince22
HID stuff from Michelle (HIDeXtra.com), H11 and H3 are both 6000k they match up pretty well, cheap and looks great, DRL and LEDs from (V-leds).
Are these LEDS in your turn signal as well? do you have any issues when using your blinker?
Old 08-18-10, 01:38 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

VINCE22

I was looking at my GX and yours, it looks like you have the LEDS in your parking lights? If so in your pictures you GX is NOT running cause if it were (like mine) your Yellow turn signal lights would be on as well--correct?
If it is running why dont your yellow turn sig bulbs stay lit up?
Old 08-20-10, 02:23 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rbx10
Yo LZ,
Sorry to reply to an old post.but I've combed the internet with no luck changing the running board light on my 08 GX470.
Tonight I went underneath the running board to see how the heck am supposed to change the running board lights. What I saw below was astonishing. I can't even get my hand to where the bulb is or see the bulb. It seems as if I would have to unbracket the entire assembly to get to the bulb. Is that the case ?

Can you please share some wisdom on how to please accomplish this.

Thanks
rbx10
GX470
if i were home i'd get under my gx470 and snap some shots for you. it's actually pretty easy to do. you just have to locate where the wires are for the runner lights and follow them with your hand to the actual bulb itself and then twist the assembly out. it's easy but it's not depending on the size of your hands. with my big meathooks it was easy getting them out and swapping the incandescent bulbs with LEDs but putting them back in was a bit tricky. when i get home from grand cayman i will snap some pics and post them for you.

you will have to lay down some cardboard or something and lay down on your back and literally slide your head and shoulders under the car to get a good look at what you're working on. the light assemblys are on the the ends of the runners. literally near the tires(on the ends of the boards) there is no need to remove them(the running boards/steps) to do a simple bulb swap. my vehicle is an 06, i doubt that they changed the design on the 08. i may be wrong but i doubt it.

Last edited by LZMF1; 08-20-10 at 03:46 PM. Reason: just remembered....
Old 08-29-10, 05:06 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LZMF1
sorry i quoted myself but as it turns out i purchased an HID relay from HIDExtra and installed it wired to my highbeams. worked out well, my GX passed with flying colors. the dude doing the inspection even complimented me on the HIDs
LZ,

You mentioned that you purchased a HID relay from HIDExtra. The relay aren't part of the package? Was it just for the high beam?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-10, 05:55 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

redrocks, no the harness wasn't part of the package and yes it is only for my high-beams
Old 08-29-10, 06:42 AM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

redrocks, no the harness wasn't part of the package and yes it is only for my high-beams
Thanks LZMF1!

Did you have to drill hole in the back of the headlight covers or is everything plug n play?
Old 08-29-10, 05:50 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redrocks
Thanks LZMF1!

Did you have to drill hole in the back of the headlight covers or is everything plug n play?
high and low beams are plug and play....the fogs lamps require a bit of modification. very easy though......
Old 08-29-10, 06:05 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

high and low beams are plug and play....the fogs lamps require a bit of modification. very easy though......
LZMF1,

Great! Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-10, 09:50 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

ok....i took a pic for rbx10.

just find the aluminum(?) under the step and you'll find the light assemblies on the ends closer to the outside of the vehicle
Old 01-19-11, 01:34 PM
fireninja
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem to wiring h3 hid on my gx470

Can anybody me show me how to wire the h3 hid to my gx470, because I wire the hot wire to factory harness but the black wire to that harness also. But I try reverse 2 time or black wire from the bulb connect to factory ground wire too. I just wanna make sure I wire the right way with defective product or I wiring a wrong way, maybe do I need relay for that kit, if anyone know can me please!
Old 01-19-11, 01:40 PM
fireninja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mr2fast
thanks for the replies, I too could not figure out to remove the connectors and gave in to cutting. . i ended up using one of the vent hole on the back of the housing to route the wires through:

Can you show me how to wire that h3 kit please
Old 01-19-11, 01:46 PM
fireninja
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fireninja
Can you show me how to wire that h3 kit please
cause the factory bulb come in one hot wire and come with little ground wire tap in to the bulb get ground but the h3 hid bulb has 2 wire 1 red 1 black, I hook up hot wire ground wire to factory harness, either I did a reverse still doesn't work, I been play with this for 2 week. The kit got it from hidnation so rule

Quick Reply: HID fog install . . .