GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

HID fog install . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11 | 08:19 PM
rbx10
Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by LZMF1
ok....i took a pic for rbx10.

just find the aluminum(?) under the step and you'll find the light assemblies on the ends closer to the outside of the vehicle
Thank you very much LZM. I just notice you had post a pic for me. Very much appreciated. I'm going to try to find the assembly tomorrow. I think the aluminum part underneath is the same as yours. I'll see tomorrow. Once I'm done with that, I'm going to attack the HIDs baby boy!!!!

Coupling of things though that's boggling me . When I had installed my Phillips 6000K HID for my AC Legend about 8 years ago, the job was not too straight forward.

1) I had to drill in the back of the light covers.
2) Hook up the two positive wires to the battery terminal (They were hover over the engine. Not clean. or was it was me who was sloppy with that )
3) The wires that goes to the ballast and HID lighting structure were too long so I had to tie-wrap them and find place to tuck them away.
4) The ballast were sitting behind the light covers. Although I had Velcro them , but they were too heavy and could not stay stuck
5) when I had to do maintenance on the car sometimes I would have to move the wires out the way and it was a pain.

I just don't feel like going to this headache again
I would hope by now the HID technology has gotten much better. So hook up should be more simplified right ?

Hopefully the GX has more working space and not as tight as my Legend.

Sorry for the laundry list LZ. Thank you for all your help.

rbx10
Old 04-01-11 | 10:40 PM
BlairC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rbx10
Thank you very much LZM. I just notice you had post a pic for me. Very much appreciated. I'm going to try to find the assembly tomorrow. I think the aluminum part underneath is the same as yours. I'll see tomorrow. Once I'm done with that, I'm going to attack the HIDs baby boy!!!!

Coupling of things though that's boggling me . When I had installed my Phillips 6000K HID for my AC Legend about 8 years ago, the job was not too straight forward.

1) I had to drill in the back of the light covers.
2) Hook up the two positive wires to the battery terminal (They were hover over the engine. Not clean. or was it was me who was sloppy with that )
3) The wires that goes to the ballast and HID lighting structure were too long so I had to tie-wrap them and find place to tuck them away.
4) The ballast were sitting behind the light covers. Although I had Velcro them , but they were too heavy and could not stay stuck
5) when I had to do maintenance on the car sometimes I would have to move the wires out the way and it was a pain.

I just don't feel like going to this headache again
I would hope by now the HID technology has gotten much better. So hook up should be more simplified right ?

Hopefully the GX has more working space and not as tight as my Legend.

Sorry for the laundry list LZ. Thank you for all your help.

rbx10
i am going to install some HIDs in my low beams tomorrow and was going to do a video. i think i can clear some of this up for you. there shouldn't be any drilling if you ordered the right kit. i will also be doing a lot of wire tying and cleaning up to make for the most factory installation possible so that should help you out.
Old 04-02-11 | 07:41 AM
LZMF1
Pole Position

like BlairC said, the highs and lows are literally plug and play. the wires tend to be a wee bit long so be prepared to use some zip ties. also the double sided tape that comes with them is worthless. go out and buy the good kind. i went to a hobby shop and bought some greatplanes double sided tape. it's black and comes in different widths.
Old 04-02-11 | 08:22 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by LZMF1
like BlairC said, the highs and lows are literally plug and play. the wires tend to be a wee bit long so be prepared to use some zip ties. also the double sided tape that comes with them is worthless. go out and buy the good kind. i went to a hobby shop and bought some greatplanes double sided tape. it's black and comes in different widths.

Lz, i see that u using hid brand that usually found on ebay, how is it so far? Been thinking to get the exact one.....

So u upgrade the high beam to HID as well? Where did u get all the harness?
Old 04-02-11 | 06:20 PM
LZMF1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by masboy
Lz, i see that u using hid brand that usually found on ebay, how is it so far? Been thinking to get the exact one.....

So u upgrade the high beam to HID as well? Where did u get all the harness?
my lowbeams and highbeams are still in and work quite nicely. i had some issues with the fogs and went back to regular bulbs. i also had an issue with the HID harness that i had for my highs but i got rid of that as well. all in all i'd say it's worth it if you want to use an "entry level" HID. the ballasts are fine but the actual bulbs leave alot to be desired.
Old 04-06-11 | 07:25 PM
wokraku
Driver School Candidate

Very nice....got me wanting to embark on both exterior n interior lighting project.
Old 04-13-11 | 07:06 AM
rbx10
Driver

Hey guys someone told me they now have HID kit without ballast. Has anyone heard of that ? That would be cool not to deal with ballast
Thanks
Old 04-13-11 | 07:07 AM
rbx10
Driver

Originally Posted by BlairC
i am going to install some HIDs in my low beams tomorrow and was going to do a video. i think i can clear some of this up for you. there shouldn't be any drilling if you ordered the right kit. i will also be doing a lot of wire tying and cleaning up to make for the most factory installation possible so that should help you out.
Yo Blair nice!!!!
Can't wait kid....
Thanks