GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

How often do you wash / vacuum / wax your GX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-10, 12:57 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How often do you wash / vacuum / wax your GX?

Just finished the waxing this evening. Already had washed and vacuumed, and wiped down the interior, a few days ago. Man, this is a big car - takes me a long time to get everything done... but I love the car anyway and I can't stand it when it gets dirty

How about you folks? How often do you do the full routine?

Turby
Old 04-18-10, 06:40 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Once a week (assuming the weather cooperates) I wash vacuum my truck and give it a minor detail. I clean/condition the leather and wax it twice a year, usually the spring/early summer and once in the late fall. Last weekend I did my spring cleaning, interior/exterior detail, new cabin/engine filter, new floor mats, new wipers all around. Man I love the smell of Lexol
Old 04-18-10, 08:26 PM
zippymbr
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I wash every week and use a spray wax from Optimum every other week. It only take me an hour to wash and wax.. But I used to detail cars as a job when I stayed at home with the kids for a few years. Autopia.org is a great site for car care. I buy alot of my stuff from Autogeek. Use MF towels, good ones not from Costco.
Old 04-19-10, 09:08 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wash and vacum my GX once a week takes me long time to do I also use Natural orange spray to clean door panels and trunk . I use gas washer pressure every time I wash, it saves water, and clay bar every 3 month.
Old 04-19-10, 09:31 AM
sphy1005
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually once a month I give it a Full wash. I spray wax every time I wash. I've actually never waxed it with anything other than the spray. Seems to work well. Yes it
is. Big car but I just bought an odyssey and it makes washing the gx a cinch
Old 04-19-10, 11:11 PM
Bob GX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Along with the things already touched on - I clean the engine compartment 2 or 3 times a year - I remove the various covers (wash & treat them separately), wash down the engine & rest of the compartment. When I drop the skid plate for an oil change I clean it and wipe down the lower parts of the engine, and the front suspension parts.

Also (every few car washes) I spray & wipe down the doors - the frames, sills, seals, etc.

I do this with all the families cars - but my GX gets extra attention....
Old 04-20-10, 07:20 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I wash everyday and wax it once a month and do a detailing interior and exterior once in 6 months.
Old 04-21-10, 04:02 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mann777
I wash everyday and wax it once a month and do a detailing interior and exterior once in 6 months.
Good golly, how do you make time to wash it every day??

I am also thinking of putting on a 2nd coat of wax, a friend suggested that I let the first coat cure for a week, then try the 2nd coat. I'll probably kick that off this weekend.. love the feel of a freshly waxed car.

Turby
Old 04-26-10, 10:32 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

2nd coat applied. Doesn't feel too much better than the 1st coat. I think in the future, I'll go with 1 coat of wax.

My car battery appears to have died however, during the process - I was listening to the radio while waxing the car. The battery is 5 years old. I've disconnected it and am getting a replacement today. I guess I'll do a new post outlining the steps needed to redo the radio, etc, for a battery replacement.

Edited to add - rather than bump my own post, I'll just throw this in - Got a replacement battery from the local Lexus dealership, $107 (they misquoted me but honored the price - was supposed to be $118) plus tax. I did the install myself, really easy. They took back the old battery, which appeared to be the original one sold with the car. Car now starts fine, and the radio works again. All is good! Also, I didn't get locked out of my radio - I think the code was never set.

One more thing. I had to reprogram the windows and sunroof. Here is the thread I referenced on how to do this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-function.html

Turby

Last edited by Turbinator; 04-30-10 at 04:27 PM.