GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-18, 07:01 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by chiph9
It's also used as your DRL so it's on most of the time. You really want to buy the "LL" version if you can find them.

Chip H.
I do use the LL, and I know they are on all the time...but the left one always outlasts the right...
Old 01-03-18, 05:54 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

Received 743 Likes on 607 Posts

Whoops I get your post now. Yeah, no idea. I can only guess that that side of the engine room runs hotter than the other, shortening the bulb life.
{shrug}

Chip H.
Old 01-03-18, 09:11 AM
ALAN553
Racer

Originally Posted by chiph9
Whoops I get your post now. Yeah, no idea. I can only guess that that side of the engine room runs hotter than the other, shortening the bulb life.
{shrug}

Chip H.
lol....i'll take that
Old 09-23-19, 04:53 AM
punklexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came across this one which mentions that I don't need an external resitor.There are cheaper ones for $5, but this looks solid. Opinion ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-LUMEN-...rd!95834!US!-1
Old 09-23-19, 07:24 AM
Rygar470
Lead Lap

Received 136 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by punklexus
Came across this one which mentions that I don't need an external resitor.There are cheaper ones for $5, but this looks solid. Opinion ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3000-LUMEN-...rd!95834!US!-1

Interesting. There's certainly a Guarantee. Now, it is eBay, and the last thing we want is to crutch something else, which may not show up right away. Maybe I'm just a little weary, but then again, I just also installed LED Heads(Granted not something which may/not require a resistor). Who wants to be the Guinea Pig on this?
Old 09-24-19, 06:26 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe they have gotten better in the few years since I originally posted the video about this. I would not worry about getting money back, eBay is pretty good, they have a built in "item not as advertised" process. Also, even if they refuse to refund you, all you have to do is file a claim with PayPal, and they side with the buyer 100% of the time.
Old 09-24-19, 10:36 AM
punklexus
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffO
Maybe they have gotten better in the few years since I originally posted the video about this. I would not worry about getting money back, eBay is pretty good, they have a built in "item not as advertised" process. Also, even if they refuse to refund you, all you have to do is file a claim with PayPal, and they side with the buyer 100% of the time.
- yes won't be an issue getting the money back as long as there are no bigger issues such as burning of any circuit etc.

Originally Posted by Rygar470
Interesting. There's certainly a Guarantee. Now, it is eBay, and the last thing we want is to crutch something else, which may not show up right away. Maybe I'm just a little weary, but then again, I just also installed LED Heads(Granted not something which may/not require a resistor). Who wants to be the Guinea Pig on this?
I think I'll be happy to be one if I get some confidence from this group. LOL
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (09-24-19)
Old 09-25-19, 05:27 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 270 Likes on 236 Posts

It won't work. There was a post a few weeks ago about someone who bought some bulbs with a built in resistor off of amazon. They didn't work right and also that resistor is going to get insanely hot, enough to potentially melt your headlight housing. Also super bright bulbs like these are not designed to be on more than a few seconds at a time. Because the turn signals are also the DRLs they're always on so any bulb with a built in resistor will not work

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...yperflash.html

Like I posted in that thread, the correct way to do this would be to mod the flasher relay with a resistor (theres a tutorial on this site and the filing method has not worked for most people and is dangerous) or buy the toyota 12 pin to 8 pin flasher harness adapter (you'll have to move some of the pins around) so that you can run a tapturn or equivalent turn signal relay that accepts LEDs. The second option of a new flasher relay will make you lose your DRLs in the turn signals
Old 10-10-19, 06:57 AM
ALAN553
Racer

started keeping track of how long these 1156NA LL bulbs last, being on all the time...i have replaced them every october for the last 3 years....I get one year out of the bulbs...when I take them out they are faded and cloudy.... obvioulsy milage has nothing to do...its time just time....what a pain....
Old 03-06-20, 04:49 AM
512TXS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffO
Hi all, I wanted to give you this quick tutorial on how to change the front right turn signal bulb for your Lexus GX470. There's a lot of back and forth on the forums, with people adding way too much confusion, so I wrote this guide with photos for you so there is no mistake. This will take you less than 5 minutes.

My tips apply to my 2004 GX470. They may or may not apply to your year, and you better verify the correct bulb for your vehicle, don’t just go by what I have here.

First, many people are telling you to waste 20 minutes undoing the plastic shield around the engine compartment and work from above. NOT NECESSARY! You change the light bulb easily from below in a few minutes!

Warning: Always bring your bulb with you to buy a new one! Many auto parts stores online, when I looked up the part, show an incorrect 3157 part number, whose bulb does not even look close to being correct. Always trust what you know.

The turn signal light bulb you need for a 2004 Lexus GX470 is called 1156A

it is a standard bulb, amber in color, most auto parts places sell it. I bought my bulb, shown below at Pep Boys, 2 bulbs for $3.99. Forget paying the dealer $50-$100 for this job that you can do in 5 minutes. Note how the bulb in my package has the letters “LL” at the end. IT means Long Life. If you can get this designation, go for it.

Now you can see the close-up of your bulb below. Notice it has 2 little nipples on it, this means it will slide down a channel in the connector, then twist at the bottom to lock into place.

How to change the turn signal bulb:

1) Lie down on your back just underneath your front right bumper, below the headlight. I just rested my head on a mover’s dolly. Now look up behind the headlight assembly, as shown in my photo below, and you’ll see 3 connectors on the back of the headlight assembly. You will focus on the gray one in the middle as shown in the photo here:

2) Reach up toward that gray connector, your arm will be reaching up a bit. The connector has winglets for you to grasp it. Now grab that connector, and twist it counterclockwise about 1/4 turn until it loosens, then pull out the connector as shown in this photo below:

3) There’s your turn signal bulb! Now twist the bulb first, THEN once you have twisted it loose, you may pull it out of the socket. If you find it hard to hold the socket while twisting the bulb loose, then use pliars or Robo Grips to hold the socket steady, then use your other hand to loosen the bulb.

4) Now here is your loose socket hanging. That’s my flashlight on lower right corner of the photo:

Here is another zoomed out shot of the socket hanging down:

5) Now take your new bulb, and align the little nipples on the bottom of the bulb to the channels on the connector. Then slide the bulb down the into the connector, and twist the bulb clockwise to lock it into place. Now reach up to re-connect the bulb and connector back onto the rear of the headlight assembly as shown below:

6) Now insert the bulb back into the hole on the rear of the headlight assembly, and twist the gray connector until it’s all locked into place. That’s it, you’re done! See photo below:

Now wasn’t that a lot easier than undoing a bunch of plastic fasteners in the engine compartment? Congratulations, you just saved yourself at least $50.

Now PayPal me $10 of that! LOL!

I’ll open up the floor to questions now.

Jeff
excellent write up, Jeff. Here’s a DIY video as well:

Old 03-06-20, 06:06 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just did mine this am, took longer to take off the covers than to change the bulb. Used pliers to twist it out, may have been the original.

Interesting that the owners manual doesn't call for the 1156A.
512TXS (03-14-20)
Old 03-06-20, 06:36 AM
512TXS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasgroup
Just did mine this am, took longer to take off the covers than to change the bulb. Used pliers to twist it out, may have been the original.

Interesting that the owners manual doesn't call for the 1156A.
Yeah. I think the driver side is generally more difficult but if you do it from the bottom it’s a bit quicker. I always break the plastic cover clips too.
Old 03-06-20, 10:26 AM
JeffO
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad to see my post is still helping people years later! Good work everyone!
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffO:
512TXS (03-06-20), nycbenz (06-20-20)
Old 03-14-20, 08:19 AM
dasgroup
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

And today the drivers side went out so I know what I'm doing this afternoon.
512TXS (03-14-20)
Old 03-29-20, 02:51 PM
AustinHusk
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Just tried changing out the drivers side front turn signal bulb (in front of the battery) and it wasn't as easy as it sounds in this thread!

After about an hr. of prodding and twisting/turning I was finally able to replace it! Works great now

So just wanted to come back here and see what I missed..... or why no one else seemed to have any issues replacing the front bulbs... and bam - that little tid bit about getting "under the vehicle with a crawler/creeper" - totally missed that

Yeah, doing this from the top of the engine compartment.....without removing the battery.... NOT EASY. I was able to get the bulb out but inserting the new one and then twisting/turning it into place was not easy. Not much give in the wires so my left hand is now scraped up pretty good
The following 2 users liked this post by AustinHusk:
512TXS (03-29-20), Jerry0249 (04-01-20)

Quick Reply: Here's How To change Front Right turn signal bulb (with photos) in your Lexus GX470