GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

GX Purchase Being Considered; Third Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-10, 11:34 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GX Purchase Being Considered; Third Seat Question

I'm looking for a 2005 GX as a balance between cost and having the possibility of all features I want (more h.p., Sport w/KDSS, etc.) Found one without the third seat, which I must ultimately have. I have yet to view the rig other than pics online. Questions:

1) Do the non-optioned GXs have all the mounting points for the third seat, wherein it's just a matter of installing a seat if you can get one?

2) Any prayer of obtaining a seat other than new through a Toyota/Lexus parts source? I'm not opposed to doing upholstery to change color of fix blemishes.

3) I know the seat is over $2000 as an option. I have read that may also include some sort of rear air ducting and controls, which would make sense given the price tag. Is that true? If so, would it be stupid to retrofit a seat without having the air (I live in Las Vegas). I know my LS does a pretty nice job of throwing air to the rear seat with the console vents. Maybe the GX is similar?

4) Finally, talk me out of buying one! I understand that the third seat is tight. The reason I'm considering a GX is to step up from 5 seats in our LS 430, the non-minivan persona, plus the very serious off-road capabilities. The third seat occupants would be younger girls for short around town trips, perhaps our two year old girl for longer trips. Besides the cost difference with the LX or a Land Cruiser, the slightly smaller size appeals to my wife (I think it's footprint is smaller than the LS 430 she drives now?). If I do not get a GX, the realistic (and cheaper) competitors are a same-year Honda Odyssey, older Expedition, or 05 Grand Caravan. I know those alternates are all over the board, but the basic rationale is this: wife does not want a minivan, but could end up with one if it's nice enough (Touring Odyssey), cheap enough (Caravan to drive only when the seats are needed, keep the LS 430 for all other driving), or the Expedition because it would be cheap (and only used when the seats are needed, also retaining the LS), I know how to work on them, and even though it's a tank my wife considers it drivable because we had one before. Bottom line, if we don't get the GX, I'm not willing to spend anywhere near the same amount of money on Plan B. My cheapest route would probably be the Odyssey, as I would drop the LS all together (hard to swallow). Then only one insurance and better mpg than all the other choices. And it's probably the only other rig under consideration that will run like a Toyota/Lexus with minimal mechanical repair. But I think I like the GX! So now that is clear as mud, any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich

Last edited by zippinbye; 05-01-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-01-10, 12:14 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

If you really need a 3rd row, you should wait for one that has it already.
Even if they have mounting latches on the non- 3rd row GX (which I think they don't) just 1 rear seat assy. alone will cost you $2,000.

Yes, rear seat space is slim but they are not meant for full grown adults.
Anyone under 5ft will fit back there comfortably.

I really only use it when my neice and nephew ride along.

GX or Odyssey..?
Hmmmmm...

You know what most of us here will tell you.
Attached Thumbnails GX Purchase Being Considered; Third Seat Question-img_4408.jpg   GX Purchase Being Considered; Third Seat Question-img_4409.jpg   GX Purchase Being Considered; Third Seat Question-img_4410.jpg  
Old 05-01-10, 01:25 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

They're just "dumb" seats; no "smart" electrical or HVAC inside them. However, I think they were matched to a rear-AC option. To get one, you had to get both (I think).

Later in the 1st-gen GX's lifecycle, the third row seats were a very inexpensive option (maybe $500?). Maybe Toyota had loads of them around and wanted to get rid of them before the new-gen GX launched.

Occasionally, third row seats hit the classifieds here.

I say save yourself the hassle of locating the seats and buy a GX with them already installed.

Happy shopping!
Old 05-01-10, 03:22 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you really want to put (adult) people in the third row? If so, there are better vehicles that can accommodate adults in the third row.
Old 05-01-10, 06:51 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1) adding the 3rd row to a non-3rd row gx would be a pain. The mounting points are not there on the non-3rd row optioned vehicles

4) make sure you will use the offroad features otherwise you're better off with a RX or MDX assuming you don't want their mini-van swagger wagon thing
Old 05-02-10, 09:36 AM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Third row is good for kids up to 10-12 years old or below 5 foot 2 inches. Bigger kids for a short trip would be OK.

Get one with it, you will find one. KDSS is much harder to find but you need to go drive some and see for yourself what you really want.
Old 05-02-10, 11:21 AM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Default Thanks!

[QUOTE=werewolf;5451558]1) adding the 3rd row to a non-3rd row gx would be a pain. The mounting points are not there on the non-3rd row optioned vehicles

Just the answer I was looking for ... decision made; no matter how nice/low mileage, it's gotta have the factory 3rd seat. Thank you!

NAD1370 wrote:

GX or Odyssey..?
Hmmmmm...

You know what most of us here will tell you.

That the Odyssey rocks?
Old 05-02-10, 05:00 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, just to clarify, with the factory installed 3rd row, you get 3rd row vents - but all of the cooling controls are located in the 2nd row seating area. The 3rd row occupants do not get their own controls.

Turby