GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

dvd help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 12:28 PM
pmobils
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dvd help

Hello everyone,

im new to the club and recently bought an 04 gx 470. i have a question about the rear flip down dvd player.i noticed that it does not come on however the dome lights work.i have the mark levinson setup with nav. my question is if i cant trouble shoot the failure and decide to replace the unit,what upgraded unit should i be looking for so that compatibility wont be a problem.

thanks in advance!!
Old 05-24-10, 10:22 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Firstly welcome to CL, and we do have great members who are helful to one anothers. Now regards to the problem you have quoted One this can be done by yourself, if you are bit of a grease monkey and if not then you need goto some Autozone.
Firstly If you can pull out the Glove Compartment you will see at the extreme right there the Display controller. Remove the harness connecting it and just use a CRC Electronic component spray used for the Circuit boards, and have them reconnected. And try again, Sometime these get loosened. The dome lights are not inter-related with the power to the Rear Display unit.
Next there is a harness which is coming from the DVD units, have also this disconnected and do the same procedure and have them re-connected.
After this if you are still not successful, I suggest you do a tester connection test for power whether they are coming into the Display control and the DVD unit harness. If there is Continuity, then the fault lies at the Display Controller Unit. If there is continuity till here then you need to check the harness connecting the Flip Down Display unit for continuity. If there is no continuity at the display unit then it is the harness problem. If there is continuity then it is the flip down unit to be replaced.
hope this helps

Last edited by mann777; 05-24-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-24-10, 07:40 PM
pmobils
Driver School Candidate

thanks mann! i was able to remove the unit and found that it only had power to one wire and no ignition switch power...i found that the unit "rosen" apperantly is aftermarket and was wired in under left side of dash. i repaired the power problem and fm modulator and now it works great!! i have just one last question however.the two audio jacks that are at the back of the center console for rear seats.i dont have head phnes and wonder if they will even work at all? are they for the factory unit? or will they wotk through the modulator?

thanks again mann
Old 05-24-10, 08:37 PM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the previous owner would not have connected these, and this would be a dummy. Secondly I dont think you can sync the Line out / Headphone to the Non Standard Equipment, as the most sound cards, or built-in motherboard sound chips, have color coded jack plug sockets. The Normal Industry color is "GREEN" But they wary between manufacturers. Now to sync you Non OEM to the Vehicle System, you may have to study the sound card and have them sync, whereby you will end up splicing and joining the harness, And not sure whether they work, as the sound card built in are for the OEM headphones.

A simple way is there but then that is the one only way possible is you buy a Four-channel line output converter as these are rated at 80W per channel, get this fixed below at the Driver Foot well area, and have them wired to the Line out point at the rear end of the OEM and ensure to disconnect the harness of the OEM one going to the AMP as this will blow up, as you are bypassing the Resistors to the using the Non Standard one. The best i know are from crutchfield.com. This way you are using the line out jacks of the OEM.
hope this helps
Old 05-25-10, 09:06 AM
pmobils
Driver School Candidate

Thank you mann i will continue to due my research now that i am pointed in the right direction.
Old 05-26-10, 12:32 PM
pmobils
Driver School Candidate

Got my new alpine wireless head phones and they work great!! Thanks for all the help again.