GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Most annoying squeak, can you identify this vent (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 10:08 AM
bibber
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most annoying squeak, can you identify this vent (pic)

About a month ago, my 2006 GX470 started making a really annoying, high-pitched squeak. It sounded like a mouse or a cricket. It continued even when the car was at a stop. I could tell that it was coming from somewhere behind me, but I wasn't sure where. I made an appt to take it in, and that day the squeak stopped so I cancelled the appt, figuring they couldn't diagnose it if they couldn't hear it.

All of a sudden, it started up again two days ago. It happens more when I'm making a left turn, stops if I make a right turn, and is pretty constant otherwise, but sometimes stops for a while. I was able to pull into my driveway while it was going on yesterday. I couldn't hear it anywhere outside the car, but when I opened the back door it was louder. It definitely sounded like it was coming from a vent that is to the right when I open the back door of the car.

I'm attaching a pic of the vent (the small square vent at the bottom middle of the pic). Does anyone know what is behind this vent. I hate to pay a couple hundred bucks at the dealer if I could get my husband to take off the panel and spray some WD40 in there, but I don't want to mess with anything serious. Thanks for any advice!
Old 06-22-10, 10:48 AM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Its the subwoofer in that grill. Check the tool kit in the back door.

Last edited by chrisvr6; 06-22-10 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 10:54 AM
bibber
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm. That doesn't make sense for a squeak. Maybe it's something else near there. The noise was loudest coming out of that vent.
Old 06-22-10, 10:56 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

I remember a TSB for this squeak was from the Seat Track Pin hold the last Seat which are folded. You have to replace a pin, I exactly dont know the part number maybe the dealer can help.
Old 06-22-10, 06:28 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisvr6
Its the subwoofer in that grill. Check the tool kit in the back door.
Wrong. The rear subwoofer isn't mounted there. That vent is for air intake for the rear A/C, whether the vehicle has it or not.
Old 06-22-10, 07:54 PM
chrisvr6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Wrong. The rear subwoofer isn't mounted there. That vent is for air intake for the rear A/C, whether the vehicle has it or not.
where is the sub?
Old 06-22-10, 08:04 PM
bibber
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if there's a fan there - it sounds like there would be, and the noise does sound like a fan squeaking. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-23-10, 08:07 AM
mann777

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Bob is right that is where the Rear Cooler Blower with Fan / Motor assy is located. This unit is for the Rear AC unit. The subs are just behind that seat ( pictured above ) after you unfold it down.
Old 06-23-10, 11:48 AM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that I see a dusty GX in that picture above

Turby
Old 06-23-10, 01:09 PM
88Legend
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mann777
I remember a TSB for this squeak was from the Seat Track Pin hold the last Seat which are folded. You have to replace a pin, I exactly dont know the part number maybe the dealer can help.
Yes we had this exact issue on our 2006 GX470. It was a really annoying squeaking sound. The idiots at the dealer finally found and fixed the problem during the fifth visit.

Last edited by 88Legend; 06-23-10 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-08-11, 11:09 AM
silver470
Driver School Candidate

Could you please post what they found that it was....
I'm very curious. My truck started making the same noise when wet/cold which it has been here for like 2 months already. I'M GOING CRAZY. It only happens on sharp bumps. I rode in the trunk while someone else drove around and its coming from the same area as its showing in the picture. Either then that the GX is perfect. lol
Old 01-10-11, 09:08 AM
bibber
Driver School Candidate

This was definitely the cause (air intake for rear A/C). My daughter sits in a car seat in the center of the rear seat, and often kicks and turns on the rear A/C. Whenever I hear the squeak, I reach back and turn off the rear A/C and the noise immediately stops, so I'm sure that's it. Now that I know how to stop it, it's not enough of a concen to pay to get it fixed.