GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

3 out of 4 brake calipers "frozen"

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 07:35 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 3 out of 4 brake calipers "frozen"

I brought my 04 GX470 to the local Lexus dealer yesterday for check engine, VSC TRAC, and VSC OFF lights illuminated. They found a faulty catalytic converter causing bad O2 readings(covered by Lexus' extended emission warranty up to 80k miles), well I asked that they check out the entire vehicle for any other issues that they could find. To my disbelief, I received a call from the service adviser and he stated 3 out of 4 brake calipers were frozen. WOW, I have only owned the truck for 8 months and when I purchased it they replaced all brake pads and rotors. How could I not notice this? I have an aftermarket warranty from Peoples Protection and they stated that the calipers are covered under warranty but still needed to send a Rep. out to sign off on the requested repairs before they would approve funds. To all the techs out there- How could 3 out of 4 calipers be frozen? Is it the previous owners neglect, maybe driving too long with no pads left? Thanks for any responses. I will post after the findings.
Old 07-30-10, 07:44 AM
aljodoro
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to tell if rotors are frozen?

How does a person tell if they have frozen caliper? I realize the dealer tells you so but what are the characteristics or things to look for? Thanks

Last edited by aljodoro; 07-30-10 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-30-10, 08:38 AM
Randy20g
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GX and 4 runner are NOTORIOUS for frozen front calipers. These are quad piston calipers, and 1 piston always freezes up. I have been through 2 of them. Since the piston freezes AWAY from the rotor while the other 3 work fine, a driver would most likely never notice, until the next brake job. The tech wont be able to push the frozen piston back into the bore.
Old 07-30-10, 02:42 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aljodoro
How does a person tell if they have frozen rotors? I realize the dealer tells you so but what are the characteristics or things to look for? Thanks
You wouldn't necessarily have a frozen rotor, but a frozen caliper. One way to know is how the vehicle handles while braking. If you brake and the vehicle pulls one way, you would most likely have a frozen caliper on the opposite side. If you let off the brake and the vehicle begins to pull one way, the same side would most likely have the stuck caliper.
Old 08-10-10, 07:21 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Update: The aftermarket warranty wouldnt pay Lexus prices for calipers(they were $459 a piece) So I had to take it where I bought it at Richards Motor cars to fix it. They discovered my truck only needed the front calipers and they were $159 a piece. People protection covered the repairs minus my $100 deductible. WOW calipers ranging from $159 for aftermarket to $459 for Lexus, No wonder why they call it "Stealerships".
Old 08-11-10, 09:30 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

How can rear calipers will be frozen if you almost never use them? Did you get OEM calipers or Aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand? Did you change brake pads as well as rotors?
Old 09-06-10, 07:20 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexus 4 ME
How can rear calipers will be frozen if you almost never use them? Did you get OEM calipers or Aftermarket? If aftermarket what brand? Did you change brake pads as well as rotors?
Sorry it took so long to respond, this thread made it to page 3. The warranty would only pay for aftermarket. Thats what was installed. Not sure what the name was but was purchased from foreign parts store looks like the words Bendix on the caliper itself. pads were also aftermarket foreign parts. They seem good for 1/3 of Lexus prices.
Old 03-18-11, 06:27 PM
JamesHuang
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROSCOGX470
...WOW calipers ranging from $159 for aftermarket to $459 for Lexus, No wonder why they call it "Stealerships".
Someone at Lexus is making a nice living off of us! Few bucks more is fine but 3X more is just plain silly!
Old 03-19-11, 12:54 PM
snhrph
Pole Position

I would also check prices at Toyota dealership, they are usually cheaper than Lexus dealers.

I'm not sure if I would have gone the aftermarket or rebuild route, but money definitely talks...
Old 03-19-11, 03:00 PM
ALAN553
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by snhrph
I would also check prices at Toyota dealership, they are usually cheaper than Lexus dealers.

I'm not sure if I would have gone the aftermarket or rebuild route, but money definitely talks...
Just went aftermarket, pads, rotors and calipers (which came painted, very nice), at eurotire in Fairfield, brakes never worked so good, already have had 3 sets from toyota/Lexus, none as good as this, it is like a different truck!
Old 03-21-11, 10:38 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ALAN553
Just went aftermarket, pads, rotors and calipers (which came painted, very nice), at eurotire in Fairfield, brakes never worked so good, already have had 3 sets from toyota/Lexus, none as good as this, it is like a different truck!
Please post up some pics and brand. Thanks
Old 03-22-11, 08:50 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I went for aftermarket too, and I am very happy so far. Vibration is gone too after 50 mph.
Old 03-22-11, 06:19 PM
rainmn
Driver

Originally Posted by cssnms
Please post up some pics and brand. Thanks
Agreed - My brakes are pulsing now, so yet again, I'm going to put new pads / rotors on the front. I should just mark it on my calendar every year.

I'm willing to try any pads and rotors at this point, because the OEM ones absolutely suck.

Oh - and to the OP...I'm on my second set of front calipers too.
Old 03-22-11, 07:53 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Originally Posted by rainmn
Agreed - My brakes are pulsing now, so yet again, I'm going to put new pads / rotors on the front. I should just mark it on my calendar every year.

I'm willing to try any pads and rotors at this point, because the OEM ones absolutely suck.

I feel your pain. I went aftermarket slotted/drilled rotors from Ebay- $100 for both delivered and ceramic pads from Autozone. So far so good. No pulsating and nice stopping power- No fade. They look nice too. I was impressed with the rotors, They were very heavy and had a nice finish. Worth a try.
Old 03-23-11, 06:42 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rainmn

The next time my rotors go or if any of my calipers freeze I will be going with a BIG BRAKE KIT.

Assaultech Performance (CL vendor) carried a big brake kit made by Rotora for the GX at one point but I don't see it on their site now - I pm'd them to inquire though.

StopTech may be another option. Although they don't carry a BBK specifically for the GX, I am willing to bet the BBK they sell for the 4-Runner will work since the GX and 4 runner share the same brake parts.

http://www.stoptech.com/

Last edited by cssnms; 03-23-11 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 3 out of 4 brake calipers "frozen"