GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Buying Advice...05 GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-10, 08:44 PM
Datguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Advice...05 GX

My wife is looking at purchasing an 05 GX. They are asking 24,588 for it, the truck has 87k miles and is fully loaded, with 3rd row seat and navigation, all the service has been done including the 90k mile service which includes the changing of the timing belt, they are also "including" a 12 month, 12k mile warranty. I put including in quotes because I'm sure it's in the price and chances are I'd never use it, we plan on making a counter offer tomorrow but I'm just not sure where to start, I've checked ebay and autotrader and it actually seems like their price is fair. Can someone let me know what we should be expecting to pay for this truck or maybe a good counter..thanks.
Old 08-03-10, 01:33 PM
VF201JC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my wife a 2005 GX470 in the summer of '08 for around $26k. I forget the exact price, but I got it near Tampa, FL. It had around 36k miles when we bought it ( I think). It has 54,910 miles on it now, which I am sure of because I'm changing the oil and recording the mileage. I did buy the extended warranty from Lexus (which we were eligible to extend since the original warranty was still in effect) and that cost an extra $2K. So, hope that data helps. For what it's worth, my wife loves it.
Old 08-03-10, 03:38 PM
burl
Driver School Candidate

You need to read the "cracked dash" thread on this forum. There are some upset owners and ex-owners (me) with the Lexus lack of response to this issue. I will NEVER recommend a Lexus car to anyone after my experience. Lexus of Austin was terrible!
Old 08-04-10, 12:11 PM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VF201JC
I got my wife a 2005 GX470 in the summer of '08 for around $26k. I forget the exact price, but I got it near Tampa, FL. It had around 36k miles when we bought it ( I think). It has 54,910 miles on it now, which I am sure of because I'm changing the oil and recording the mileage. I did buy the extended warranty from Lexus (which we were eligible to extend since the original warranty was still in effect) and that cost an extra $2K. So, hope that data helps. For what it's worth, my wife loves it.
Your data point is off-the-charts-low-price and therefore not particularly useful to the average buyer. Could I buy a 07 today with 36K miles for $26K? Nope. Maybe you have no NAV, 3rd row, etc? But still. And yours sounds like it was CPO.
Old 08-04-10, 02:58 PM
volman3
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like a good deal but I would seriously reconsider and take BURL's advice. Read the cracked dash forum. Mine just started and we are out $1500 at the drop of hat .
Old 08-09-10, 08:52 AM
Raid05
Driver School Candidate

bought my 05 NAV RES 3rd row 71k for 21800 and 1500 for 3/36 warr in december 2009.

I got a killer deal, considering the one you are looking at is almost a year older and has more miles you should be able to get pretty close to that price.
Old 08-09-10, 11:29 AM
rufryder
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Datguy
My wife is looking at purchasing an 05 GX. They are asking 24,588 for it, the truck has 87k miles and is fully loaded, with 3rd row seat and navigation, all the service has been done including the 90k mile service which includes the changing of the timing belt, they are also "including" a 12 month, 12k mile warranty. I put including in quotes because I'm sure it's in the price and chances are I'd never use it, we plan on making a counter offer tomorrow but I'm just not sure where to start, I've checked ebay and autotrader and it actually seems like their price is fair. Can someone let me know what we should be expecting to pay for this truck or maybe a good counter..thanks.
I would probably go for it but 25k seems a little high for the amount of miles. The first gen GX is superb SUV. The 4.7 is solid although old.
Old 08-09-10, 02:18 PM
mr2fast
Driver

I'll sell you my '05 with 72k for $25k
Old 08-09-10, 06:06 PM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased my '04 with 38K on the odom abt 4 yrs ago with NAV, MLV, etc it was CPO for $30K.

IMO $26K is on the highside with the high mileage it has. I'd wait and hold out for something better to come along.

GL

Ken
Old 08-09-10, 07:20 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree, to high. We bought a 05 nav, RES, 3rd row for $25K with 60K miles last year this time. Right now just rolled 74K and zero issues. No cracked dash or the flaking wheels. It has been a amazing truck that feels like new and should run for a very long time.
Old 08-16-10, 08:21 PM
mocheen
Rookie

The price seems kind of high considering the amount of miles on the car. We purchased our 2006 CPO GX 470 with navi and rear entertainment for around $32,000 with 23K miles on it. The car was 2 yrs old at the time.
Old 08-25-10, 02:08 PM
zippinbye
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a licensed dealer in NV, giving me access to the dealer auction network around the country. I have been looking for an 05 for my family, basically as you describe, but preferably a bit lower on miles. Your prospective vehicle including mileage almost exactly matches the nationwide auction sales "average" for last week. The average auction price was about $20,500. Due to very real extra costs associated with buying and selling at the auction, that figure is just a benchmark. But it lets you know what reference point dealers are working from (trust me, it's not the NADA or KBB book they pull out of their desk while "working a deal"). It also has some correlation to private party sales. In many states you can avoid sales tax through a private party. Despite being a dealer, I may find my own GX privately, due to the tax issue (around $1700 to $2000 in this case). eBay surprises me sometimes, with vehicles going for at or less than dealer auction price. I would target a vehicle with your specs closer to $22,000 or less, hopefully from a tax-free source. That would be a good deal. Go up a bit and you are in fair deal range. I think the one you are looking at has some room to budge. Also, wait just a few weeks for the real impact of the new model year to kick-in. I think you'll see these used values slide a bit. Best of luck.
Old 08-28-10, 12:49 PM
Katizzo
Driver School Candidate

Interested in my 2005?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...-upgrades.html

Let me know!
Old 09-01-10, 09:30 AM
Datguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. We ended up getting the truck for $23,500 the service record on the truck is what sold us, the previous owner was very meticulous and had the truck serviced on time at every interval. I even asked a guy I know that works in the service department about the cracked dash issue and he said he's never seen one but who knows we'll keep our fingers crossed. Thanks again for the help
Old 09-01-10, 10:45 AM
JohnJerk
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, sounds like you got a nice truck at a nice price - good work.

Originally Posted by zippinbye
In many states you can avoid sales tax through a private party.
Don't they always get sales tax? Either the dealer takes it or DMV takes it if you don't have proof you paid it when you go to register it. It would be crazy for a state to leave that kind of money on the table.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice...05 GX