GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Mats for GX470

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-10, 07:56 AM
rbx10
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mats for GX470

OK we fellas I'm sure we all flintch everytime someone gets into our car and leave a dirt spot on the carpet mat for you to clean up. I know I do.
I don't want to constantly clean my OEM mats because I feel like the carpet fiber one day is going to thin down on me.

What do you fellas suggest. Any particular fancy Mats I can buy and wher. (No PepBoy stuff)
I'm also thinking about the upcoming Winter where water and snow is going to be getting on the mats.

I bet some of you have two sets of mats: One for Winter and one for Summer

Thanks
===========
rbx10
GX470-2008 "the Pearly"
Old 08-15-10, 08:49 AM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have both. The Winters are from Lexus OEM. Our 05 was bought used last year and the previous owner had both mats. Actually they did a "no-no" and had the summer mats under the winter. You can see the winter mats were never removed as the summer mats were brand new underneath. I pulled the winter mats when we got the car home and looked the car over. We bought it in September and winter was approaching so I just pulled the summers and left the winters in there. Once spring approached I thought about putting in the summer mats but with a 5 and 7 year old, the winter mats collect alot of kid stuff. Gold Fish, french fry's. a few Mc Donald toy pieces are all over the back seat floors. We also live near the beach and the sand can easily get all over the place!!

I ended up just keeping the new summers in the garage this year and kept the winters in the front, back and rear cargo. It's amazing how much they caught!! The best part is you just need to hose them off when they get grungy.

One note, the rear cargo winter mat is great UNLESS you cut it like I did. The previous owner must have not used the third row (it looked new), as to latch it you have to cut the mat. I cut it as we at times use the third row with the kids. Something spilled back there and the mat did a nice job until the liquid found that hole and it was over. It cleaned up but just something to think about if you do cut it.

My vote....winter mats year round (if you have little ones!)
Old 08-15-10, 12:35 PM
rbx10
Driver

Cobra, cool. Good looking. Thanks. I'm gonna order the Winter mats. I have to wonder if I can get them somewhere else cheaper other than the dealer. YOu know how they do with pricing.
Do you remember how they charge you ?
Old 08-15-10, 01:09 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the "Search" function, there's lots of feedback out there.
Old 08-15-10, 07:15 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is it a " no no" to put the winters directly on the regular mats?
Old 08-16-10, 08:11 PM
mocheen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Husky Liners in the front and middles rows. I purchased the weathertech rear cargo mat, becuase it had the cut outs for the 3rd row seats. The middle row Huskys are one piece and covers the middle section as well. This proved to be a lifesaver over the weekend when my daughter dropped a full cup of Jamba Juice on the floor on our drive back from Los Angeles.

I spent 2 hours today cleaning out the middle row. Luckily the liners were there. Only a few small areas of the carpet were affected. I highly recommend the Husky Liners. I have them in the 4runner and ML as well. I use the regular Dinan mats in the M3 as it never sees the rain.
Old 08-17-10, 05:22 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I only use Weathertech extreme liners now (Husky liners get very good ratings also). They are far better then all others including OEM. The Lexus all-weather mats that came with my IS wore a hole within one year. What a POS, waste of money. Don't waste your money on anything else. How can you beat a custom fit pan that regardless of what is on your shoes will hold it and never reach the carpet.

Koz
Old 08-17-10, 08:46 AM
Lexus 4 ME
Lead Lap

I have original Lexus all weather mats, easy to clean, and perfect fit.
Old 08-17-10, 01:01 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
Why is it a " no no" to put the winters directly on the regular mats?
Yeah, why not? I do. No problems yet.

Turby
Old 08-17-10, 06:01 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbinator

Turby
Just don't do it with the driver's mat. The second mat could cause sudden acceleration.

Koz
Old 08-18-10, 07:29 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Yeah, that's a GIANT whatever on unintended acceleration.

I, among others, call total and complete BS on Toyota's "suggestion."
Old 08-18-10, 07:31 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

P.S. I'm 100% for sudden acceleration because I like fast cars. What I'm against is unintended acceleration.
Old 08-18-10, 08:47 PM
cobra2top
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbinator

Turby
I was told not to use both mats on the driver side. First, with both mats your foot sits a little higher. I like the foot position better with the summer mat removed. Second, and its been a while, but I thought the top mat could not hook into that floor hook to hold the mats in place.

Your call, but for me I like the look as the 2 mats looked a little bulky on the floor for me.

As for the quality of the OEM's, mine seem to be wearing well and it is being used yearly with 2 little ones trampling on them every day. They came with the car so I am not sure how much they are. I would also look to the weathertech, if anything since they are made in the USA and look pretty durable.
Old 08-19-10, 04:31 PM
Turbinator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Koz
Just don't do it with the driver's mat. The second mat could cause sudden acceleration.

Koz
I see. Y'alls may do what you want with your own cars, but in my experience, I've always had cars that had unsecured floor mats (until the GX) and in fact, I've had problems with the car mats riding up on the gas pedal. And you know what? To accelerate, all I did was step down on the floor mat that was covering the gas pedal. No big deal! If it bothered me, I just reached down and pulled the floor mat back towards the driver's seat. No problem. There was never any unintended acceleration, as those mats were too light to cause any pedal depression problems.

Now, the aftermarket rubber mats I'm using in the GX are so heavy, I'd really be surprised if the one on the driver's side crept up and got on top of the gas pedal. I just don't see how it's going to happen.

Turby
Old 08-19-10, 04:45 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think the factory all weather mats aren't available now. Lexus/Toyota pulled them off the market when they were blaming the sticking gas pedals on the floor mats. I heard
maybe sometime in Sept., they might be available.

You might try http://www.mats.com for all weather mats.

Last edited by Craig B; 08-20-10 at 02:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Mats for GX470