GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

What tires are you all putting on the GX

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 01:27 PM
JASP615
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What tires are you all putting on the GX

I'm looking into getting new tires for my truck which is a 06 that I bought new. I only have 32000 on the truck but the tires are looking dry and seem to be wearing on the out side (not an alignment problem) I was wondering what tires you are putting on the truck. I live in Philadelphia so we are dealing with snow also. I thought the Michelin's looked good but would like your input.
Old 08-19-10, 12:47 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I would go with Michelin's. Look for the highest treadwear rating. If you have a lot of snow where you live, look for Michelin's with a M/S rating. That would be mud and snow rating. Go to tirerack.com and compare the Michelin tires in your size. You can enter the make and model of your vehicle and if you're interested in Michelin's, only pick that make of tire to compare. It's hard to go wrong with Michelin tires...
Old 08-19-10, 01:33 PM
JASP615
Driver

Thanks Craig,

I will check that out now. I was looking at Costco for right now but will check out the other place.

Sami
Old 08-19-10, 02:37 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JASP615
Thanks Craig,

I will check that out now. I was looking at Costco for right now but will check out the other place.

Sami
You're welcome Sami, I think http://www.tirerack.com will be cheaper than
Costco. I don't know if Costco will match their price. Tire Rack also has a list of local installers. You won't have to pay sales tax, but you will have to pay shipping...
They can ship the tires to the installers address.
Old 08-19-10, 05:47 PM
GRAYM
Driver

michelin latitudes....just put them on 2 weeks ago very quite and smooth ride
Old 08-20-10, 11:07 AM
Romulus1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put Bridgestone Dueler A/T 546 on my wife's. I just wasnt to thrilled about the factory H/L that came on it. But I do like the new A/Ts. My .02
Old 08-20-10, 08:48 PM
stiles_s
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking into getting new tires for my truck which is a 06 that I bought new. I only have 32000 on the truck but the tires are looking dry and seem to be wearing on the out side (not an alignment problem) I was wondering what tires you are putting on the truck. I live in Philadelphia so we are dealing with snow also. I thought the Michelin's looked good but would like your input.
Why do you think you don't have an alignment problem?
Old 08-21-10, 05:55 AM
wombat55
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. 32,000 miles is pretty low. I have 55,000 miles on my OEM Michellin Cross Terrrains. I have been very happy with the CT but have also heard good things from people who have switched to the Michellin Latitudes. Last time I checked they were both still available. Might won't to consider that the CT might not be available should you need to replace a tire down the road.
Old 08-22-10, 05:10 PM
JASP615
Driver

First, the reason I came to the conclusion that it wasn't an aliment problem was my rear tires were wearing the same prior to rotating them (Which I do every 5000 miles) My Lexus came with Bridgstone OEM which I wasn't too thrilled to begin with but did not want to just change the tires out right away. This has been going on since day one. We are going to go with Michellin Latitudes I think. My OEM tires almost seem like they are dry rotted.

I checked into Tirerack and Costco with the price of the tires, Nitrogen and mounting/Balancing and road hazard, it is still cheaper. I also gotta say that we have gotten tires there before and never was there a problem with them fixing a tire when we had gotten a nail. There also wasn't a charge for it.

I believe next month there will be 70.00 off for Michellin's so I will wait. I also have requested that they do not use a impact wrench but do it by hand and it wasn't a problem. I just had Lexus replace all 4 rims (They picked up the tab) due to defects and corrosion so I don't want my rims chipped.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice.
Sami
Old 08-23-10, 07:20 PM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

First, the reason I came to the conclusion that it wasn't an aliment problem was my rear tires were wearing the same prior to rotating them (Which I do every 5000 miles) My Lexus came with Bridgstone OEM which I wasn't too thrilled to begin with but did not want to just change the tires out right away. This has been going on since day one. We are going to go with Michellin Latitudes I think. My OEM tires almost seem like they are dry rotted.

I checked into Tirerack and Costco with the price of the tires, Nitrogen and mounting/Balancing and road hazard, it is still cheaper. I also gotta say that we have gotten tires there before and never was there a problem with them fixing a tire when we had gotten a nail. There also wasn't a charge for it.

I believe next month there will be 70.00 off for Michellin's so I will wait. I also have requested that they do not use a impact wrench but do it by hand and it wasn't a problem. I just had Lexus replace all 4 rims (They picked up the tab) due to defects and corrosion so I don't want my rims chipped.

Thanks for all your opinions and advice.
Sami
Michelins all the way. What year is your GX? I think Lexus should replace all of our peeling rims. I had to pay $400 to refinish my wheels a year ago and they have little pitting starting again. It should be RECALL. The wheels SU-K
Old 08-24-10, 06:28 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Michelin LTX M&S2 has the best overall ratings (Very good in snow). If you want the best snow tire (Other then winter tires) look at the Wrangler Silent Armor.

Koz
Old 08-25-10, 11:11 AM
mann777

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess we are all not happy with our GX when it comes to comparision and we want to deck her up better and better, & and I am no saint, Since the topic of tires have come up a so many times on this forum, I have to share this 1% percent, As I have the Bridgestones DL and my BIL has ML equipped on his GX, We do have lot of short and long trips and I have to say this, could be stupid, Comparitively the BS are bit noiser in the cabin on long trip, not so quiet as the ML, and I happen to ride them both on similar conditions and I have to vote to the Michelins, 100% in terms of Ride, Comfort , Grip,
Old 08-25-10, 05:51 PM
MWalker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Koz
Michelin LTX M&S2 has the best overall ratings (Very good in snow). If you want the best snow tire (Other then winter tires) look at the Wrangler Silent Armor.

Koz
I just put a set of these on my 05 sport, and they are great!
Old 08-25-10, 08:01 PM
samfields
Driver School Candidate

I am a Michelin Cross Terrain fan.
Old 08-26-10, 04:48 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by samfields
I am a Michelin Cross Terrain fan.
If you like the CTs you will probably love the LTX M&S2s. They do everything the CTs does a little better.

Koz

Quick Reply: What tires are you all putting on the GX